High GI carbs other than post workout seem to bloat the **** out of me.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
So I did an experiment and the first few days of my bulk I wanted to see what would happen. So I threw in a bunch of high GI carbs during different periods of the day and got bloated like ****. I was holding over 20 pounds of water. Yes 20 pounds! I woke up in the middle of the night with my ankles puffy and lower legs as well.

Then I decided to quit eating high GI carbs and switch to low GI carbs only and even though I am still eating lots of carbs, I did not experience bloat and I lost tons of water weight. Ankles went back to normal along with my lower legs.Right now my carb sources come from for the most part Brown and white Basmati Rice, Sweet Potatoes, whole wheat pasta along with Ezekiel Bread, Rolled and Steel Cut oats. Only time now I eat High GI carbs is post workout and that will be a banana mostly and an apple with my scoop of Whey. This agrees with me just fine. I think part of the problem is that many foods that are high GI are processed and seem to have lots of sodium.

Your thoughts? I read things on here and elsewhere of guys being able to eat donuts and **** and that stuff just does not agree with my body at all.

Anyone else on here experience something like this before?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've gotta think that 20lb simply cannot be all water... Physiologically that's pretty hard to do without some type of disorder. I'd venture a guess that there's a good portion of it that's also glycogen (both muscle and liver). Most low GI carbs are also the ones harder to digest which means there is a much better chance that your body simply didn't break down and absorb/store as many.

That said, maybe you need to try some different high(er) GI carb sources (apples fyi, are not - they're loaded with fiber). Eating high GI carbs doesn't mean eating little debbies and donuts all the time either ;) - most who do get bloated but its not like a daily thing to eat a dozen then lift and be fine

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
I happily am one of the lucky ones, my post workout is donuts :) sorry to hear about your issue, but i agree with booneman77 20lbs seems pretty high and cant be all water. But now i'm curious, when you did the high GI carbs how many grams of carbs were you taking in post workout to have this issue?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I think much had to do with all the sodium that was in the types of carbs I was taking in the first few days of my bulk. That is the issue with HIGH G1 carbs such as donuts, ice cream, and food from places like Wendys. So loaded with sodium!

If I stick to things such as Bananas and buckwheat honey post workout with my shake, which are all natural it seems like my body really responds fine to it. This week that is what I have been doing and my body is back to normal, the bloat is gone. Such a coincidence since they are not loaded with sodium/processed junk and instead provide good nutritional value. My body has been eating clean for so long now that when I throw in processed foods it freaks out and holds excess water.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think much had to do with all the sodium that was in the types of carbs I was taking in the first few days of my bulk. That is the issue with HIGH G1 carbs such as donuts, ice cream, and food from places like Wendys. So loaded with sodium!

If I stick to things such as Bananas and buckwheat honey post workout with my shake, which are all natural it seems like my body really responds fine to it. This week that is what I have been doing and my body is back to normal, the bloat is gone. Such a coincidence since they are not loaded with sodium/processed junk and instead provide good nutritional value. My body has been eating clean for so long now that when I throw in processed foods it freaks out and holds excess water.
that will go away though... your body has to keep a balance between sodium and potassium (as well as some others) but will quickly adjust to higher or lower levels of them to regain homeostasis. If you want to eat more junk, you just have to stick to it for a few days and ignore the bloating (which is seriously just a vanity issue and not an actual problem)... For reference, I reagularly eat 5-6k in sodium on any given day without even trying and have zero bloat or issues. I only bloat when I take in 500+g of carbs and thats to be expected from spill over.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ever have a blood test showing your fasting glucose?

Although the swollen ankles does sound more of a sodium, potassium, magnesium issues.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Explain please on the potassium and magnesium issue and how those play a part in causing me to have swollen ankles during a bulk from time to time.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
High IG carbohydrates, do you mean simple sugars? kind of ice cream, biscuits ???

How many grams of carbohydrates do you eat on that day?

Try repeating everything, but this time integrates with potassium citrate.

I am now 500gr of carbohydrates per day, even with a lot of simple sugars, fruit, jam, ice cream, cookies ...
and I am still visually speaking, my abdomen still in sight ... I came from a long period of calorie deficit.
I'm at the fourth week with 500gr of carbohydrates (a diet rich in calories), and I'm fine this way.
Integrated potassium citrate.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Explain please on the potassium and magnesium issue and how those play a part in causing me to have swollen ankles during a bulk from time to time.
Its mainly a genetic issue and the sodium and potassium balance that regulates water retention. Load up on sodium and you can hold water in strange places. Some people get in the feet, ankles or hands. I get it in my ankles if I go nuts. I never got when I was younger but once I hit 40 I would get it from time to time when I went nuts on junk food (high sodium foods for me). It gets a bit blotchy, swollen and tingles. This only happens when I really go nuts on the foods.

It effects people differently. My guess is the more you manipulate your diet (cycel of low carbs, high carbs, protein, etc..) the more noticeable it will be especially as you get older.

Add alcohol in there and depleting magnesium and it can get worse.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought carbs from fruit, unsweetened jam and other pure fructose sources have no effect on insulin