Answered High Frequency Training

LvlUpStrength

Awards
I read that the best frequency for each body part is to do deltoids and calves four times a week, back and triceps three times a week and legs and chest twice a week. What are your thoughts on high frequency training and how fast do your muscles recover?

Day 1
Chest
Triceps
Shoulders
Front Delts
Day 2
Back
Biceps
Calves
Day 3
Legs
Calves
Shoulders
Rear Delts
Day 4
Back
Biceps
Calves
Day 5
Chest
Triceps
Shoulders
Front Delts
Day 6
Legs
Calves
Rear Delts
Biceps
Day 7
Rest

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In general I’m a fan of higher frequency, but I’m going to say those random assumptions that those specific amounts for each of those groups is a bit off base.

In general you shouldn’t get married to just one single frequency, as a balance between volume, frequency, intensity, etc exists and is intertwined.

If coming from a lower frequency approach just remember to account for weekly volume and don’t just dive into the same volume in each session you would if doing less sessions per group to start.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Unless you’re highly enhanced, you’re volume better be pretty low at that frequency. That’s a lot of work in a week.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my past experience, it will work very well for a short period of time but then it will catch up to you as your strength also shoots up very quickly. Eventually you will not be able to recover well enough.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In my past experience, it will work very well for a short period of time but then it will catch up to you as your strength also shoots up very quickly. Eventually you will not be able to recover well enough.
This has been my experience over the past few months

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t think there’s a “one size fits all” approach to training. I think the same general rules apply to everybody (enough recovery time, progressive overload, time under tension, high volume, low volume/heavy weight, and shocking the muscle with variety, etc.) but some people’s bodies/muscle groups respond differently to those same general rules. My body might favor low volume whereas someone else might not respond well at all. You kind of just have to experiment and see what works for you.

But I do think that certain muscle groups favor specific types of training. For instance, smaller more active muscle groups like calves, delts, and abs seem to favor high volume/high frequency training. My calves and delts never grew like they should have until I began to hit them 3 or 4 times a week. And they still do. I don’t think the same thing would happen for a long period of time with back or legs.

DS3317

Awards
That’s when you take 7-14 days off or deload.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use high frequency moderate volume fairly often. Kill **** for like 6 to 8 weeks, max out the following week on 2 or 3 lifts. Putz around the next week with some easy stuff and try some new exercises. Then repeat the process with a few alterations

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I'm off cycle, I usually follow a hybrid program like WS4SB (the 4 day version) but when I'm on, I do an HST type routine, train full body every other day, and almost double the volume that the HST program calls for, and also lift very heavy (not what the program calls for). I basically trash everything each session, repeat 2 days later. Works very well for me, but is very taxing on the CNS.

DS3317

Awards
Unless you’re highly enhanced, you’re volume better be pretty low at that frequency. That’s a lot of work in a week.
I think this is individual as far as being enhanced or not. I’ve been on both sides of the fence and I believe a lot of guys spin their wheels by thinking they are on so therefore they can handle more volume. Being on I can’t handle more volume than I could naturally. Then again I know natural guys who can grow and recover while destroying me in the volume department.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think this is individual as far as being enhanced or not. I’ve been on both sides of the fence and I believe a lot of guys spin their wheels by thinking they are on so therefore they can handle more volume. Being on I can’t handle more volume than I could naturally. Then again I know natural guys who can grow and recover while destroying me in the volume department.
It's completely individual