Hey, I'm new to the forum and am looking for advice on my workout routine?

jgrayson60

Awards
250 lbs
22% bodyfat
Semi new to lifting

Any constructive criticism would be great.

Workout routine

Each muscle group will be worked out 2x a week.

MONDAY
Chest, and triceps

Incline Bench Press
4 sets of 8

Dumbell Bench press
4 sets of 8

Cable flyes
2 set of 10

Pushups
2 sets of 15

Triceps

Extensions
4 sets of 8 to 13

Skull crushers

3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12

TUESDAY
Back, Shoulders, biceps

Lat pulldown
4 sets of 10

Cable row
4 sets of 10

Dumbell row
2 sets of 10

Dumbell shoulder press
4 sets of 8 to 10

Plate twist
2 sets of 10

Side raises
2 sets of 10

Backwards machine flyes
3 sets of 10

Ez curl
4 sets of 8

Cable curl
4 sets of 8

Preacher curl
2 sets of 8

WEDNESDAY
Legs

Leg press
7 sets of 10

Quad extension
3 sets of 10

Hamstring curl
3 sets of 10

Standing calve raises
4 sets til failure

Sitting calve raises
4 sets til failure

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Switch outs squats for the leg press even if you have to start with just the bar.

What are you looking to achieve with training? Cutting down your BF? Adding strength/mass?

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the 2x per week split on body parts that you have set up. If it were myself I would do legs on Tuesday if not Monday while I was fresh. Also consider legs on Tuesday to give your upper body and shoulders a little more recovery. Agreed with Aleksandar37 that you need some squatting in there. I personally like leg press over quad extensions for knee health reasons. What is your main goal with this routine?

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to be a dick at all here so don't take it the wrong way. Where are all your compound lifts at? No squats on leg day? No deads on back day? No barbell overhead press?

What I learned in the beginning is that sometimes it's best to keep things simple. Compound lifts were my best friend. As a beginner, I based my workout around multi joint exercises with a main lift and then filled in the gaps with accessory lifts for each bodypart. This is just my experience. Everyone is different and you gotta do what works best for you. Just offering a different point of view for whatever that's worth. Good luck.

jgrayson60

Awards
Switch outs squats for the leg press even if you have to start with just the bar.

What are you looking to achieve with training? Cutting down your BF? Adding strength/mass?
I am looking to achieve strength and mass.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards

jgrayson60

Awards
I like the 2x per week split on body parts that you have set up. If it were myself I would do legs on Tuesday if not Monday while I was fresh. Also consider legs on Tuesday to give your upper body and shoulders a little more recovery. Agreed with Aleksandar37 that you need some squatting in there. I personally like leg press over quad extensions for knee health reasons. What is your main goal with this routine?
Not trying to be a dick at all here so don't take it the wrong way. Where are all your compound lifts at? No squats on leg day? No deads on back day? No barbell overhead press?

What I learned in the beginning is that sometimes it's best to keep things simple. Compound lifts were my best friend. As a beginner, I based my workout around multi joint exercises with a main lift and then filled in the gaps with accessory lifts for each bodypart. This is just my experience. Everyone is different and you gotta do what works best for you. Just offering a different point of view for whatever that's worth. Good luck.
Overall from a couple different forums, people have said my workout routine is flawed, and to high of volume for a newbie. I think for now I'm going to do 5x5 stronglift workout routine. From what I've heard that is a good plan to start off with.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't think it is too high in volume, but you could start out with just performing this routine once per week for a few weeks before jumping into the 2x a week. 5x5 is a great plan and might work better with your goals.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5x5 is great for individuals looking to start lifting. Like others have mentioned, prioritize compound lifts because most strength gains in the initial stages of lifting come from CNS adaptations rather than hypertrophy and hyperplasia.
But on the programming note, (for the most part) any sound plan will yield results given you do not neglect your dietary intake. Especially when starting out.
Secondly, avoid paralysis by analysis. Lift, learn, and make small adjustments as time goes on