Hemoglobin is too high to donate

Slapoyjoe

I went to donate whole blood today. Apparently my Hemoglobin is too high to donate. I got a weird look from the red cross doctor.

I guess I have to go to my normal doctor and ask for a therapeutic phlebotomy. I'll be honest with the doc. I know some guys do it themselves. What would you guys do?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’d have just told the Red Cross the high hemoglobin is from testosterone therapy. They’d be like “oh so you don’t have abnormal blood disease such as hereditary polycythemia...”

Slapoyjoe

I did say just that. The doctor showed me the guidelines, and my number (191) was indeed beyond the limit. Here's hoping the local small-town doctor is hip. I'll know soon enough...

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I did say just that. The doctor showed me the guidelines, and my number (191) was indeed beyond the limit. Here's hoping the local small-town doctor is hip. I'll know soon enough...
Man things have changed since I was doing this before... you could always find a local clan of vampires if the doc won’t bloodlet you. Those goth kids sure do love the taste of iron.

Slapoyjoe

Yeah, doc is ordering a bloodletting.

He’s also running a full blood panel, so at least I’ll know how my bloods look this late into the cycle. I did not ask about TRT (very difficult in Wstern Europe imo), but he brought it up. The conversation was as expected. He advised against AAS, of course. I countered with: well I’m going to do it regardless and want to be as healthy as possible. He seemed to accept this and said he would even look into TRT, but also said that his advice would probably be negative. As expected.

The thing is, if I can find a doctor who will regularly do bloods and not be an ******* about taking testosterone, I’m absolutely fine with acquiring the goods myself.

If he’s willing to assist with ancillaries and monitoring, I’d be very happy.