Helping my 57 year old dad lose weight

Jensing

Awards
My dad is 57 6'2 247 lbs. He has been about 205-220 for 30 years but then 2020 happened, he quit smoking, his work on his feet slowed down, and he bought a boat that includes more alcohol and junk food on the weekends. Over the next 2.5 years he slowly went up to 255 lbs.

I started working with him about 2 months ago and before that he never really worked out. To start out I had him just start eating cleaner (eggs, chicken, beef, nuts, rice, veggies, etc.) every day of the week. Monday-Friday he ends up getting about 2,200 calories, 170g protein, and drinks at least half a gallon of water. On the weekends he's probably closer to 2,500 calories on average, 150g protein, less water, and more junk.

For training I just have him doing a full body dumbbell workout at home twice a week. I've phased different weights/reps/sets but he does lunges, DB rows, shoulder press, bench press, curls, tricep extensions, and planks.

He initially lost about 6 lbs in 2 weeks and then next 6 weeks has lost 2 more lbs. I think he is building muscle just by seeing him, but can't help but think he can lose quicker than that.

I'm looking for next steps. I want to slowly do these, but here are some ideas:
-up the volume in each workout
-add a third workout day
-start a totally different workout
-have him be more strict dieting on the weekends, but that will be tough as they stay on their boat Friday-Sunday
-start cutting calories from each day M-F
-start doing one fasting day each week or IF everyday
-add a cardio day or a few minutes cardio on workout days

He's feeling much better overall, but he doesn't enjoy working out so I fear without more progress he will stop eventually.

Ryan40

Awards
Sounds like you have him on a good path. It takes time. I always question when people lose 10 lbs in a week.. It never stays off. Making good habits like workouts, eating and being consistent.

All that said I would lean toward SNS TTA500. If you are searching for a supplemental for him. Sounds appropriate for him given the information you shared

negus215

Awards
this is going to be tough because I won't truly be able to grasp the entire context. But I definitely would recommend supps like BMP. Most users here have reported noticeable recomp on it. For motivation, I would believe you are the best person. Preworkout or other caffeinated products could help if that is an option.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
this is going to be tough because I won't truly be able to grasp the entire context. But I definitely would recommend supps like BMP. Most users here have reported noticeable recomp on it. For motivation, I would believe you are the best person. Preworkout or other caffeinated products could help if that is an option.
Agreed with this. BMP is definitely going to aid in that department.

Jensing

Awards
Sounds like you have him on a good path. It takes time. I always question when people lose 10 lbs in a week.. It never stays off. Making good habits like workouts, eating and being consistent.

All that said I would lean toward SNS TTA500. If you are searching for a supplemental for him. Sounds appropriate for him given the information you shared
Thanks. Yeah I think he dropped the initial water weight and has slowed down since. I wouldn't be surprised if he's put on some muscle and lost fat since then too since lifting weights is all new to him. I think what's hard for him is that he knows people that recently have starved themselves for months and these 200 lb men are eating 1,000 calories a day but lost 25 lbs. He's not seeing that progress, but in the long run I know this will be so much better.

Jensing

Awards
I've heard a lot about BMP, but never used it personally. I'll look into it. I don't want to throw too many things at him at once, but I can't help but think hormonally he could be assisted as well just with being 57 and overweight.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm gonna take a very opposite approach, the guy is new to dieting and exercise and lifting 2x a week. A supplement is very low on the list of things he needs right now. Cardio is number 1, not just for weight loss but also heart health. I would work him up to 3 full body workouts, 3 light cardio sessions and 1 rest day.

After a while I'd add more cardio or lower calories, because he's only eating 2200-2500 more cardio or just more activity in general will be better then dropping calories.

Once he's got the diet, training and cardio in place I'd add creatine, general health supps like a multi, fish oil and d3, and then I'd start worrying about fat loss supplements

Jensing

Awards
I'm gonna take a very opposite approach, the guy is new to dieting and exercise and lifting 2x a week. A supplement is very low on the list of things he needs right now. Cardio is number 1, not just for weight loss but also heart health. I would work him up to 3 full body workouts, 3 light cardio sessions and 1 rest day.

After a while I'd add more cardio or lower calories, because he's only eating 2200-2500 more cardio or just more activity in general will be better then dropping calories.

Once he's got the diet, training and cardio in place I'd add creatine, general health supps like a multi, fish oil and d3, and then I'd start worrying about fat loss supplements
Thanks for this. That's kind of what I was thinking. He already takes a Multi and fish oil so I only want to add a supplement if it will help him be healthier in a significant way.

So for the exercise changes would you slowly ramp up to that? Do I add a cardio day first and just keep adjusting from there? I really don't want to make him dependent on cardio long term as I think that will be a failing strategy for him. If I had him start doing 1 20 minute elliptical session per week then again adjust in a few weeks do you think that's a good next step?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for this. That's kind of what I was thinking. He already takes a Multi and fish oil so I only want to add a supplement if it will help him be healthier in a significant way.

So for the exercise changes would you slowly ramp up to that? Do I add a cardio day first and just keep adjusting from there? I really don't want to make him dependent on cardio long term as I think that will be a failing strategy for him. If I had him start doing 1 20 minute elliptical session per week then again adjust in a few weeks do you think that's a good next step?
If he hates cardio then I'd say find a untraditional cardio source. You could try ending his full body workout with a circuit or some dumbell clean and presses. Something that requires more cardiovascular work then traditional weight lifting. I do 90% of my cardio punching the heavy bag because I have bad ankles. But I have to say. If someone tries to loose weight without doing cardio, it makes everything harder. Even a 15 min walk every morning before breakfast is better then nothing. There's only really 2 ways to loose weight. Move more or eat less. Since his calories are already on the lower side of normal you can't remove too many more. You don't want to have a 230+lb man eating 1800 calories like a bikini girl

Jensing

Awards
If he hates cardio then I'd say find a untraditional cardio source. You could try ending his full body workout with a circuit or some dumbell clean and presses. Something that requires more cardiovascular work then traditional weight lifting. I do 90% of my cardio punching the heavy bag because I have bad ankles. But I have to say. If someone tries to loose weight without doing cardio, it makes everything harder. Even a 15 min walk every morning before breakfast is better then nothing. There's only really 2 ways to loose weight. Move more or eat less. Since his calories are already on the lower side of normal you can't remove too many more. You don't want to have a 230+lb man eating 1800 calories like a bikini girl
Totally agree with you. I'm kind of playing the long game here, but trying to make sure he doesn't lose patience. If I have him eating healthier and building muscle he should naturally increase his metabolism a bit and create the deficit that we want. I also have tracked he averages about 4-5k steps a day which I told him I want him to shoot for 6k for now as well. This should also help with some of the deficit. I'm trying to avoid the drastic calorie cut and just have a nice steady 1 lb per week loss for awhile without throwing everything at him right away.

Going from a lower rep strength full body to a circuit next week was already happening so hopefully that helps a bit. I'll also have him start doing 1 day on the elliptical and see if we can start trending lower again.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My dad is a few years older than 57 and hits his home gym every single morning with a weight training circuit and 1-3 miles on the treadmill. He utilizes a caloric deficit when dieting and he's quite content with his strength and weight loss rate. However if I had my way, I'd have him training for strength and utilizing 30-36hr fasts on rest days.

Jensing

Awards
My dad is a few years older than 57 and hits his home gym every single morning with a weight training circuit and 1-3 miles on the treadmill. He utilizes a caloric deficit when dieting and he's quite content with his strength and weight loss rate. However if I had my way, I'd have him training for strength and utilizing 30-36hr fasts on rest days.
I love working out. Always have. So it's hard for me to understand. But I think it's something you learn to love when you see the results. I'm hoping that's the case for him and I can get him to want to do this on his own. Once he sees that he feels better, looks better, has a better golf game, and moves better with the grandkids I think he will love it too. Until then slow steady progress is my goal.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Once he sees that he feels better, looks better, has a better golf game, and moves better with the grandkids I think he will love it too.
My dad and I picked up the orange whip training tool for golf, are you familiar with it? When I use it, it is super helpful but I've been irregular with it lately.

now my dad on the other hand at 61 uses his orange whip every day actually as part of his circuit training in his gym. he does his full weight circuit, swings the whip 10 or 20 times, then does the circuit again etc. 61 yrs old and I'll tell you that the past few months his drives are constantly longer and straighter than I have ever seen, I think he could almost move to stiffer shafts.

now if he actually practiced his short game.... lol

Jensing

Awards
My dad and I picked up the orange whip training tool for golf, are you familiar with it? When I use it, it is super helpful but I've been irregular with it lately.

now my dad on the other hand at 61 uses his orange whip every day actually as part of his circuit training in his gym. he does his full weight circuit, swings the whip 10 or 20 times, then does the circuit again etc. 61 yrs old and I'll tell you that the past few months his drives are constantly longer and straighter than I have ever seen, I think he could almost move to stiffer shafts.

now if he actually practiced his short game.... lol
No I haven't. I'll have to check that out for him.

Haha we have a scramble outing coming up so we could use all the help we can get!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No I haven't. I'll have to check that out for him.

Haha we have a scramble outing coming up so we could use all the help we can get!
we usually play on fridays in the summer (got a game tomorrow) and we host our company tourney this upcoming July. although my buddy will bring a team that scores like 14 under and i'm sure my team will be like -7 at best lol

I HIGHLY recommend it although it looks like the price has jumped, I could swear I paid half this price....

[https://orangewhipgolf.com/shop/?gclid=CjwKCAjwg-GjBhBnEiwAMUvNWx9Lvce7tjsVPevLAafvedIlQLZJt1pFtgK8YF5WHPfUDXI_Ygw5RRoC-gMQAvD_BwE

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I love working out. Always have. So it's hard for me to understand. But I think it's something you learn to love when you see the results. I'm hoping that's the case for him and I can get him to want to do this on his own. Once he sees that he feels better, looks better, has a better golf game, and moves better with the grandkids I think he will love it too. Until then slow steady progress is my goal.
The visual changes help motivate the most. Unfortunately real change takes time and most ppl are too impatient and not willing to put the work in. My mother is not huge but a good amount overweight. She's in her 60's and refuses to do anything I tell her. Instead she constantly asks about fad diets and supplements and for years she refuses to believe there's no magic pill or diet that let's you eat whatever you want and hardly exercise and get in shape in 30 days. She literally has seen me put hours apon hours in the gym and we live in a duplex so she sees I'm always cooking and nope. She wants the magic pill that makes 30 years of poor habits dissappear in 30 day:/

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The visual changes help motivate the most. Unfortunately real change takes time and most ppl are too impatient and not willing to put the work in. My mother is not huge but a good amount overweight. She's in her 60's and refuses to do anything I tell her. Instead she constantly asks about fad diets and supplements and for years she refuses to believe there's no magic pill or diet that let's you eat whatever you want and hardly exercise and get in shape in 30 days. She literally has seen me put hours apon hours in the gym and we live in a duplex so she sees I'm always cooking and nope. She wants the magic pill that makes 30 years of poor habits dissappear in 30 day:/
Lol everytime one of the women in my life tell me how it's so much easier for me as a man, who's younger than them, I bite my tongue thinking about the countless hours of hard physical effort, nutritional discipline, and constant constant research and re research into programming, nutrition and everything else

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If it was easy everyone would look like a Greek god and diabetes wouldn't exist.
That's what I tell everyone. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Takes hard work and consistency.

Jensing

Awards
Yeah my parents know I have been devoted to this lifestyle for over 10 years. Thanks guys. I appreciate it all. I'll keep motivating it as a lifestyle change with so many benefits that a crash diet will never give you.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys. I appreciate it all. I'll keep motivating it as a lifestyle change with so many benefits that a crash diet will never give you.
the older I get the more value I put into "lead by example". It is often the hardest way to do things, but I find it successful in my business with employees, in my personal life with family, and in the gym with my boy.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
the older I get the more value I put into "lead by example". It is often the hardest way to do things, but I find it successful in my business with employees, in my personal life with family, and in the gym with my boy.
what kind of business?

stronghdol

Awards
My dad is 57 6'2 247 lbs. He has been about 205-220 for 30 years but then 2020 happened, he quit smoking, his work on his feet slowed down, and he bought a boat that includes more alcohol and junk food on the weekends. Over the next 2.5 years he slowly went up to 255 lbs.

I started working with him about 2 months ago and before that he never really worked out. To start out I had him just start eating cleaner (eggs, chicken, beef, nuts, rice, veggies, etc.) every day of the week. Monday-Friday he ends up getting about 2,200 calories, 170g protein, and drinks at least half a gallon of water. On the weekends he's probably closer to 2,500 calories on average, 150g protein, less water, and more junk.

For training I just have him doing a full body dumbbell workout at home twice a week. I've phased different weights/reps/sets but he does lunges, DB rows, shoulder press, bench press, curls, tricep extensions, and planks.

He initially lost about 6 lbs in 2 weeks and then next 6 weeks has lost 2 more lbs. I think he is building muscle just by seeing him, but can't help but think he can lose quicker than that.

-add a third workout day
-have him be more strict dieting on the weekends, but that will be tough as they stay on their boat Friday-Sunday

He's feeling much better overall, but he doesn't enjoy working out so I fear without more progress he will stop eventually.
Losing weight can be a healthy goal at any age, including at 57 years old. However, it's important to approach weight loss in a safe and sustainable manner. Here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Consult with a healthcare professional: Before making any significant changes to your diet or exercise routine, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a doctor or a registered dietitian. They can provide personalized guidance based on your specific health needs and any medical conditions you may have.
  2. Create a calorie deficit: Weight loss generally occurs when you consume fewer calories than you burn. However, it's important to focus on creating a moderate calorie deficit to ensure you're still getting adequate nutrition. Aim for a gradual weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week.
  3. Balanced and nutritious diet: Focus on consuming a balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods. Emphasize fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Reduce your intake of processed foods, sugary beverages, and unhealthy snacks. Portion control is also important.
  4. Regular physical activity: Engage in regular exercise to burn calories and improve overall fitness. Choose activities that you enjoy and that suit your fitness level. Aim for a combination of cardiovascular exercises (such as walking, swimming, or cycling) and strength training exercises (such as weightlifting or bodyweight exercises) to build muscle and increase metabolism.
  5. Stay hydrated: Drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to stay hydrated. Water can help with digestion, reduce calorie intake, and maintain overall health.
  6. Monitor your progress: Keep track of your food intake and exercise routine to monitor your progress. This can help you identify any patterns or areas for improvement. However, avoid becoming obsessed with the numbers on the scale and focus on how you feel overall.
  7. Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night. Adequate sleep plays a crucial role in weight management, as it helps regulate hormones related to hunger and fullness.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Losing weight can be a healthy goal at any age, including at 57 years old. However, it's important to approach weight loss in a safe and sustainable manner. Here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Consult with a healthcare professional: Before making any significant changes to your diet or exercise routine, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a doctor or a registered dietitian. They can provide personalized guidance based on your specific health needs and any medical conditions you may have.
  2. Create a calorie deficit: Weight loss generally occurs when you consume fewer calories than you burn. However, it's important to focus on creating a moderate calorie deficit to ensure you're still getting adequate nutrition. Aim for a gradual weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week.
  3. Balanced and nutritious diet: Focus on consuming a balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods. Emphasize fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Reduce your intake of processed foods, sugary beverages, and unhealthy snacks. Portion control is also important.
  4. Regular physical activity: Engage in regular exercise to burn calories and improve overall fitness. Choose activities that you enjoy and that suit your fitness level. Aim for a combination of cardiovascular exercises (such as walking, swimming, or cycling) and strength training exercises (such as weightlifting or bodyweight exercises) to build muscle and increase metabolism.
  5. Stay hydrated: Drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to stay hydrated. Water can help with digestion, reduce calorie intake, and maintain overall health.
  6. Monitor your progress: Keep track of your food intake and exercise routine to monitor your progress. This can help you identify any patterns or areas for improvement. However, avoid becoming obsessed with the numbers on the scale and focus on how you feel overall.
  7. Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night. Adequate sleep plays a crucial role in weight management, as it helps regulate hormones related to hunger and fullness.
Nerd alert!!!!!!!!!!!

bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
Nutrition plan, Lots of high quality proteins, try to get him 50 grams per meal. Keep carbs around 100 to150 grams. Use white rice or potatoes as the main source of carbs. Have him do two sessions of cardio per day, 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes at night. Don't count calories, if his protein is at 50 grams per meal he will likely eat less calories then he is now.

Weight lighting sessions should include minimum of 15 sets per week per exercise, broke up into 5 set sessions. The higher the reps, the more energy it will take. So if he doesn't like cardio, I would have him do 12 reps per set. Go to one or two reps before failure.

I would use SNS Lean Edge, worked good for a few people I know when dieting. I would look into NMN, GlyNAC and Urolithin B stack for him as well.

I did the nutrition plan last year, I'm 51. I lost 14 pounds in 4 weeks, went from 242 to 228. I did not take any of the supplements I listed but I'm on all of them now except Lean Edge. The supplement stack has helped my endurance and strength a lot. I'm up five pounds sense last year but waist measurement has stayed the same, so I'm happy with that. I was doing 10 minute cardio session per day but I think I would have made better progress if I added a post dinner/meal cardio session.

Jensing

Awards
I just wanted to give a quick update. Down to 243 so that's a loss of about 4 lbs in the last 3 weeks or 12 lbs since starting about 12 weeks ago. Week to week is frustrating, but big picture is great. All we have done is clean up the diet Monday-Friday, increase steps, and start lifting 2 days a week.

Starting next week I'm switching all of his exercises, but still doing 2 full body days a week with a strength focus. I'll also have him start doing a circuit/cardio workout one additional day each week. I'm hoping to ride this out for another 10 weeks or so dropping another 1 lb per week.

Next steps after that would be:
1) add tabata after weight session
2) add a 3rd lifting day per week
3) start Lean Edge or other non stimulant fat burner
4) have him start intermittent fasting

He goes to the doctor next week and will be comparing bloodwork to last December which was almost his heaviest.

bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
You should look into Stan Efferding programs, they are world class and you get results. No gimmicks

lamarclark09

Awards
Sounds good! It's a good workout routine. Cardio workouts give you more benefits and are good for overall health and fitness.

Trt600mg

Trt600mg

Awards
Walking! Start with an hour several times a week. Eventually daily as much as your schedule allows.

Join him to get into the habit. Put some MP3 on his phone and listen to audiobooks or something.

It's pretty straightforward. Eventually the idea is to be doing a good 5-8km walk every morning while fasting from dinner the night before. Fat will decrease, BP will lower and it's low intensity so not likely to injure anything. Just start with some good shoes.

I personally got super lean just from walking 4-10km daily in 3-4 months(instead of using the taxi or bus I just walked), while still eating Snickers and sugaary iced coffees every day.

In fact, I'm about to strap on my plate carrier and do 5km. This just inspired me.

OneGilNavyRum

OneGilNavyRum

Awards

-add a third workout day

From my similar story to your father's, I think your approach leans too heavily on working out and not enough on caloric restriction. For 20 years we sailed 40 days/20 overnights a year with a well-stocked bar. That came to an end when my girlfriend's dad passed from years of ethanol abuse and I had to store all my jeans and buy 42" Levis.

Bodies are actually simple. As a rule for every 3500 calories you under eat your metabolism you will lose 1 lb. Find his base metabolism by Googling "Metabolic Calculator". Depending on the amount, type, and intensity of physical exertion the subject does, there can be a change in the between fat loss and muscle loss.

I signed on to a peer-reviewed clinical study at Brown University Medical School and lost +/-2 lb. of mostly fat per week on a 900-calorie diet and 3 hrs of moderate aerobics a week for a total of 50 lbs. (218 to 168). That was 4 years ago. My weight this morning was 172.2. I routinely go back to the 900-calorie diet plan after holidays until I get below 170.

Two caveats:
1. I found that to get under 6300 calories weekly means ZERO ethanol, 4 oz. of lean red meat a week, 250 calorie meals, and two 75 cal fruit snacks a day.

and 2. This takes serious motivation. Our culture constantly shoves shitty junk food in our faces. It helps a lot to have a photo of a loved one who passed from a metabolic disease taped onto the refrigerator. (diabetes/stroke/heart attack etc.)

good luck!

OneGilNavyRum

OneGilNavyRum

Awards

OneGilNavyRum

OneGilNavyRum

Awards
Ryan40, I agree that it takes time. 10 lbs a week is impossible unless it is ONLY for the first week. Most of that 10 lbs is water loss, emptying your gut, and an initial weight in heavy clothes and subsequent weighing nude before breakfasts after three trips to the bathroom. But 1-2 lbs a week over the long term is very possible and it adds up to 50-100 lbs a year!

We all have heard that "It never stays off" and that is only a half-truth. A significant fraction of people who lose 25 lbs dieting retain more than half of the loss one year later. So "never" isn't true for many folks.

The issue is to find out what is different about the psychology of the people who manage to keep it off and those who can't.

People who maintain weight loss have to have a strong motivation to overcome constant inducements to eat processed foods and reject the cultural norm that equates social celebrations with massive overeating.

Typical sources of intense motivation are having an occupation that requires a lean body (eg. trainer), dating, and most efficiently having a loved one die from a metabolically related disease. Many people need their life or their lifestyle - or both - to be on the line.