Help to overcome shoulder issues

Gator762

Awards
I'm 42, and have injured both shoulders years ago. Torn rotator cuff in one, and multiple dislocations and corrective surgery in the other. Even had dislocations after the surgery as well. Pretty depressing as I have lost 30-35 lbs of muscle since.

3 months back I had another injury, doctor diagnosed it as the labrum. I seem to be weak in that area as I injured the labrum in both shoulders. I have been doing the prescribed therapy exercises for 3 months now and have built up strength and stability a lot, and my doctor seemed to think that I should be darn near 100% now. I always stretch before and ice after as prescribed.

Starting with weights left me pretty sore. Bench press with light weight, 15 reps or so left me sore for days with the dislocated shoulder. Bent over cable rows for reps of 30 had me sore for a day with the cuff injured shoulder. I think I'll try dropping weight with the bench press for reps of 30.

Any recommendations to help get me back on track? I'm also taking Super Cissus and Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help.

ETA - I've cleaned up my diet, and over the past 6 months or so lost about 3" off the waist. Goal is overall fitness, and to gain some strength back. Lifting heavy (low reps) is out for a long time, but I'd like to be doing real strength training this year.

Last edited:
threeFs

threeFs

Awards
For me, straight bars aggravated my clavicle/shoulder joint. After switching to dB's the free movement has allowed me to continue with presses. Straight bars tend to make you over internally rotate the shoulder because of the fixed position. Good luck, hope this helps you.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DBs are exactly what I was going to post. My friend who is a PT always recommends this instead of any BB work with lifts after an injury.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
DBs are exactly what I was going to post. My friend who is a PT always recommends this instead of any BB work with lifts after an injury.
Not to mention the straight bar possibly caused the injury...

Gator762

Awards
I guess dumb bells it is!

I tried dumb bells with a weight for reps of 30... Dang that burned. But I did that last night and this morning my shoulders feel OK.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
there are some things you can do to fix your self up in a jiffy..
first, yes, you can take joint supplements. I recommend you look into iForces Joint help. its loaded with sissus and something called paractin which helps with healing joints and quells acute pain.
next, go to the pharmacy and get some castor oil. do castor oil packs nightly.
next, icing once everytime you work out isn't cutting it. ice them things 15 on 15 off as many times a day as is possible. 5-6 ice cycle a day is huge!
next, back of the bench press. at your age you find the machines/DBs to be much more forgiveing on your old man joints.
look into rope face pulls, learning to do these properly will help stabilize those shoulders and build up the muscles. good luck man, hope you see some relief

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
If you're not going to get surgery, you'll need to build more muscle to stabilize your torn shoulders. Go at it slow and easy, and as others have mentioned, dumbbells are key. Steer clear of any lifts that aggravate the injury.

Gator762

Awards
Thanks guys! I'll incorporate the face pulls into my routine, I'm sure I could use help there. Today is back & biceps so I'll start today. Found info about form and tempo, what about frequency? Like any other muscle group, or should you work them more frequently?

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Thanks guys! I'll incorporate the face pulls into my routine, I'm sure I could use help there. Today is back & biceps so I'll start today. Found info about form and tempo, what about frequency? Like any other muscle group, or should you work them more frequently?
I work back:chest about 4:1

To over simplify, Back is posture, chest is pride

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.ericcressey.com/articles

^Cressey is an absolute shoulder guru. He's a powerlifter but works with pro baseball pitchers. I'd search through and read his shoulder articles. He brings up balanced training, shoulder mobility, scapular positioning, corrective exercises ect

I suggest starting with the article; Shoulder Savers, Part 1,2,3

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work back:chest about 4:1

To over simplify, Back is posture, chest is pride
Maybe not quite a 4:1, but I am the same way. I love working back and it is definitely where I place emphasis, right up there with legs. I love SLDL and RDL.

Gator762

Awards
http://www.ericcressey.com/articles

^Cressey is an absolute shoulder guru. He's a powerlifter but works with pro baseball pitchers. I'd search through and read his shoulder articles. He brings up balanced training, shoulder mobility, scapular positioning, corrective exercises ect

I suggest starting with the article; Shoulder Savers, Part 1,2,3
Great articles. I read the first two so far. At first I thought I was going to do mostly chest work as my chest is lagging... Even my wife said so. Now I know better, I already knew my shoulders are jacked up, but the exercises my therapist prescribed aren't enough. I plan on chest once a week, and Cressey's shoulder work as many times as I can work in. Gotta re-work the routine for this.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great articles. I read the first two so far. At first I thought I was going to do mostly chest work as my chest is lagging... Even my wife said so. Now I know better, I already knew my shoulders are jacked up, but the exercises my therapist prescribed aren't enough. I plan on chest once a week, and Cressey's shoulder work as many times as I can work in. Gotta re-work the routine for this.
If you search Tony Gentilcore, who works with Cressey, he has some shoulder articles too. He brings up exercises that are shoulder friendly (half kneeling landmine press/neutral grip, reduce ROM)

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
when starting face pulls once a week will be fine, as you progress you can not only add weight and reps but also extra days.

Leftyz

Awards
I'm 35, ran an hdrol cycle this past summer and loved. I got stronger than **** and really screwed myself up. I think I got everyone beat. I got an inguinal hernia (had surgery and is fixed) torn labrum in right shoulder, and also a herniated disk in my neck.
Neck they hope will reside but still waiting. I lost all gains and taking it easy.
What exactly did your dr say about the labrum tear? My shoulder feels fine for the most part except when I reach across my body like I'm stretching or going to swing a golf club or bat (I'm a lefty so it's my forearm)
If live to hear what they suggested. I have a follow up with surgeon in about 4 weeks.

Gator762

Awards
My doctor didn't say much, although I had to move and I've injured both shoulders many times so lifting wasn't even in consideration for the near future. I asked about getting myself to 100% for moving & he prescribed PT.

As for the therapist, I've messed up my shoulders and had therapy so many times I only went for a few sessions. I just need them to help me diagnose exactly what's wrong, some exercises, then I can do it on my own. Plus I'm more aggressive at adding resistance then the therapists usually are.

The bad news is that we aren't teenagers anymore and don't recover as fast. It will take months to get back to 100%. I'm not a doctor, but have walked the walk many times. Do what they prescribe, make sure you keep good form and the number of reps, and add keep adding weight/resistance. But resist the temptation to go too fast. I will give a new resistance level at least a week before moving up. I've gone too fast before, only to injure myself and start over.

After you get most of the repair done, Cressy's articles mentioned above are great. It hasn't been a week yet, but already I feel like the exercises are helping with stability, and I actually feel like I can get back to lifting heavier again (much further down the road).

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Along with Cressey, check out Kelly Starrett and SuperD on YouTube as well. Both are mobility and rehab guru's.

Gator762

Awards
when starting face pulls once a week will be fine, as you progress you can not only add weight and reps but also extra days.
Thanks! Although I've already been doing them every other day, and it seems to be fine. :sly:

I've been doing a similar exercise, so I'm already a bit used to it. I've changed up my routine, I'll see how it goes. My goal is fat loss, and getting the shoulders stable/stronger to allow for heavier lifting later. Right now I'm lifting with 15-20 reps for most exercises to work light. I'm down to about 15% BF, want to get to about 10%.

My routine is cardio 6x a week, shoulder exercises 3x a week, back & biceps 2x a week, chest & triceps 1x a week, 1 day rest. For shoulders. I'm doing the exercises Cressey describes along with PT prescribed exercises. Icing afterward and as often as I can.

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good advice, I'd def stick to dumbbells to increase your deltoid and rotator cuff strength like people have suggested. Forget the bench for a little while. Shoot i only bench once a month anymore. I think the supplements you're taking are fine, I take the same and it helps with my old joint injuries. Make sure you're taking them regularly. Also you could try applying blue emu oil on the aggravated area before your workouts, this helps some also. Some people might say to take ibuprofen but I'd avoid it due to the amount it reduces your protein synthesis, if u wanna try a natural anti-inflammatory try D-flame by now. Just take your time and slowly strengthen your shoulders back, u don't wanna further injure anything.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i did it about 3 months ago ljust under a cm tear and it was hurting everyday, but now it only hurts every now and then.
if it feels tight or a bit stiff i chuck a heat pack on it and do 10 clock wise circles then 10 anti clock wise circles that seems to open it up! if it feels swollen well obviously id ice it (i iced it everyday after workouts for about 10 mins then did some mobility stuff for about 3 weeks after injury)

my warm up for every workout;
Always start with bands exercises; Band Pull aparts to chest x10 ( hands up and then hands facing down)
fold the band so you have constant resistance and tuck your elbows in and do some external rotations (same as above)
Hold band above head with outstretched arms and open like a lat pull down to behind the neck
at end of workouts i would do cable external rotations/internal/the other one where you hand is above your head and arm out at 90degrees
also face pulls every second day

shoulder work out; this is what worked for me so you may need to change some things
Wall push ups (focus on using back muscles, scapula i think)
ITYW reaches (built up to 2kgs in each arm, started with no weights)
Light DB shoulder press(slow find your rom that is comfortable)
band lateral raise (slow,light resistance)
rear delt machine
Superset;
Face Pull/1-4kg db lateral raise to front then down(so up to the side then rotate arms to front then drop down and repeat) then finish with single arm db shrugs

Leftyz

Awards
For the Labrum in the shoulder, its does not repair itself correct? So aren't the only options to live with it or surgically fix it? Or am I wrong?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing decline BB and lower weights/higher reps for over a year now, and am happy to say have had zero shoulder issues.

Heavy flats would make it so I couldn't get comfortable in bed and slept for ****z...

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Definitely try to use more DBs for your exercises. I would avoid incline personally as well, and avoid upright rows if you happen to do them. Some pressing motions are just notorious for causing impingement, which would only exacerbate your situation. You can try and take a few supplements to help lubricate your joints a little bit and get things to hurt a bit less, although surgical repair is probably your best bet. Joint Help is really nice with Cissus and ParActin, Joint Force is also really excellent for immediate relief, and Orange Triad is a superb multi with joint support.

NCost

Awards
I'm in the same situation as you.

Rt shoulder has had surgery for posterior sublaxation...rear half of the labrum is gone due to multiple separations. Needs surgery again. I can dislocate it at will...neat party trick. Lt shoulder is opposite, anterior sublax.

I spent a year in PT before my first surgery, PT finally told my doctor surgery was the only hope. It didn't work and now they want to operate on both of them. I said screw it, I'll work on them myself. I know eventually I'll need surgery as they're both mechanically broken, but I'm stabilizing them in the gym. I started slow and never really went to heavy on the BB Bench. Flat BB Bench still causes some pain, but Incline BB Bench really doesn't so I spend more time there. Also DB Bench, flat and incline are fine for me, it's all about if your shoulders are internally rotated or not during the movement.

Over the past two years I've strengthened them both enough that I really don't avoid anything (other than flat BB Bench) and if something hurts I don't do it or I change my hand position, elbow rotation. Listen to your body, still push it but if it hurts, adjust it.

Good luck bro.
BTW, I'm 42 this year, so same boat.

Gator762

Awards
Not to jinx myself, but so far it's going well. Cressey's exercises have been working out very well. I also picked up some D-Flame online and started taking it yesterday. I also skipped benching for the past week and a half, sticking with the pushups on the half ball. That's a lot harder than it looks at first.

What a huge difference, months ago I was popping Ibuprofen like candy. My shoulders feel much more stable and less pain.

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
Not to jinx myself, but so far it's going well. Cressey's exercises have been working out very well. I also picked up some D-Flame online and started taking it yesterday. I also skipped benching for the past week and a half, sticking with the pushups on the half ball. That's a lot harder than it looks at first. What a huge difference, months ago I was popping Ibuprofen like candy. My shoulders feel much more stable and less pain.
Good to hear, stay away from that ibuprofen!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For the Labrum in the shoulder, its does not repair itself correct? So aren't the only options to live with it or surgically fix it? Or am I wrong?
You can do physical therapy to strengthen around it safely, which can help postpone surgery. I've had one repaired and the other shoulder I keep in check with physical therapy (ongoing) from home using bands and dumbbells

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My clavicle was inflamed big time. Distal clavicular osteolysis. 2 different orthos suggested surgically removing 2cm of the end. I laid off flat bench for awhile and it healed by developing a big boney lump. It stands out but it has healed, I guess. However 10 sets of 3 x 300 on flat bench Monday aggravated it again. I guess it's chronic now

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Not much I can add other than just enforce a few things.

I have had shoulder issues for a while due to sports. A few things that I have added into my training/supplements is Face Pulls EVERY TIME I bench press. Reason being is your natural movement is to internally rotate, and for most people external rotation is very difficult. Though Face Pulls are not ment to be a heavy movement. Try to pull the rope appart. I also foudn that doing 3 level FP have helped. I also increase my fat intake and started takeing Joint Help.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My clavicle was inflamed big time. Distal clavicular osteolysis. 2 different orthos suggested surgically removing 2cm of the end. I laid off flat bench for awhile and it healed by developing a big boney lump. It stands out but it has healed, I guess. However 10 sets of 3 x 300 on flat bench Monday aggravated it again. I guess it's chronic now

Have you tried reverse grip bench press? This has alleviated most of the pain in my shoulders from benching now. It helps take the shoulders out of the equation by taking them out of internal rotation during the movement.

Gator762

Awards
Have you tried reverse grip bench press? This has alleviated most of the pain in my shoulders from benching now. It helps take the shoulders out of the equation by taking them out of internal rotation during the movement.
Thanks for the idea, I'm going to shy away from a bar for a long time. Even the dumb bells were bothering me a bit. Only doing pushups on a Bosu ball for now, seems to be helping the shoulder stability quite a bit.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I aggravated my shoulder A/C joint again. It now has arthritis and a nice big bony bump getting larger

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I aggravated my shoulder A/C joint again. It now has arthritis and a nice big bony bump getting larger
That sucks dude.

Mine is jacked but daily trigger mashing with a lacrosse ball, hammering my upper back, and avoiding benching; it's improved. I was able to still overhead press and today was the first time since December that I flat benched (with a Slingshot) Band traction helped some too I think.

Just sharing my experiences. I'm not too helpful lol

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My friend is an orthopedic surgeon. I picked his brain about it last night. He said he could shave it off but it's more aesthetic than anything. It's from repetitive heavy movement. So back to dB's except they only go up to 115's. I just gotta work with what I've got. My other gym goes to 130.
But I highly urge everybody to be aware that heavy barbell bench presses can do this to shoulders. That fixed plane with the straight bar can put the shoulders in a bad position

Gator762

Awards
My friend is an orthopedic surgeon. I picked his brain about it last night. He said he could shave it off but it's more aesthetic than anything. It's from repetitive heavy movement. So back to dB's except they only go up to 115's. I just gotta work with what I've got. My other gym goes to 130.
But I highly urge everybody to be aware that heavy barbell bench presses can do this to shoulders. That fixed plane with the straight bar can put the shoulders in a bad position
Well that's not really bad news. Sucks and I understand... I doubt I will go back to benching with a bar again. Isn't worth messing up my shoulders throwing many months of progress down the drain.

hrdgain81

hrdgain81

Awards
Very good info here, I don't have much to add but I wanted to say thank you to all of you who posted here.

I have a type 3 AC joint separation in my right shoulder (happened about 5 years ago), and I just recently tore my left rotator cuff. Setbacks suck, but at least there are good people here sharing good info on how to mitigate them. Thanks again all.

Packers1504

Packers1504

Awards
Personally, I've had more than my share of shoulder issues. In my left shoulder, I have had 4 surgeries: torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, torn pec, and torn bicep (proximal tear). I rehabbed after each surgery and was able to return to competitive powerlifting. Bottom line, benching will hurt your shoulders eventually. But once you have a tear, no matter how small, therapy and exercise will never repair the tear. If your shoulders are causing you pain & make it too hard to lift, surgery is a good option. After proper rehab, you should be able to return to normal lifting again.