Help Reading labs

Jonathan734

Awards
Had my blood work done as recomended by my doctor. I'm 31 years old and I originally went in for low energy but after looking at the results it seems like my testosterone might be low? I'm currently cutting at 1900cal a day, getting around 180g of protein a day, and trying to get atleast 8 hours of sleep a night. I don't usually sleep very well though and wake up several times. I've been lurking here for a while and was hoping to get a little insight on the results of the labs before I see my doctor this week. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

In my opinion, 271 total testosterone is not normal, it’s pretty low for 31 years old. “Normal” ranges are just ranges based on the average numbers of all patients a specific lab sees. It is a doctor’s job to treat symptoms, not numbers, and definitely not numbers based off of other patients. Somebody else might feel good at 271 TT but you might not.

Obviously TRT isn’t necessary for everyone. I don’t know what you weigh, but 1900 calories is not a lot and a sustained calorie deficit could contribute to decreased testosterone production, especially if you’re running a low fat diet.

Dietary fat -> Cholesterol -> sterols (hormones such as testosterone)

Increasing calories and fats could get those numbers up more than you would think.

Another thing I would point out is that your estrogen is almost non existent. That will also contribute to lack of energy, but more importantly if you’re not taking an AI and on TRT, that low of an estrogen level almost guarantees that your testosterone production is really low.

I would talk to your doctor about your BUN and Hematocrit as well. I would think Hematocrit would be a little lower naturally and I would recommend donating blood, especially before you ever start TRT if that’s something you decide to do.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

In my opinion, 271 total testosterone is not normal, it’s pretty low for 31 years old. “Normal” ranges are just ranges based on the average numbers of all patients a specific lab sees. It is a doctor’s job to treat symptoms, not numbers, and definitely not numbers based off of other patients. Somebody else might feel good at 271 TT but you might not.

Obviously TRT isn’t necessary for everyone. I don’t know what you weigh, but 1900 calories is not a lot and a sustained calorie deficit could contribute to decreased testosterone production, especially if you’re running a low fat diet.

Increasing calories and fats could get those numbers up more than you would think.

Another thing I would point out is that your estrogen is almost non existent. That will also contribute to lack of energy, but more importantly if you’re not taking an AI and on TRT, that low of an estrogen level almost guarantees that your testosterone production is really low.

I would talk to your doctor about your BUN and Hematocrit as well. I would think Hematocrit would be a little lower naturally and I would recommend donating blood, especially before you ever start TRT if that’s something you decide to do.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

Cutting is pretty much guaranteed to drop your T levels. Increasing calories and fats could get those numbers up more than you would think.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

Cutting is pretty much guaranteed to drop your T levels. Increasing calories and fats could get those numbers up more than you would think.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on TRT or not?

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry for the 25 responses, this phone app needs some work lol

Jonathan734

Awards
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I've been cutting for 3 months and have come down from 175 to 160. As of today I plan to slowly work my calories back up to the 3000 level of what I think maintenance for me is. I am not currently on anything other than a multi vitamin and eat very clean. I do have a cheat meal a week, and occasionally if a business function requires I will eat out with a group.

I have some blood work from earlier this year that had test at ~280 total and everything else very similar. I'm trying to find those to post up, but at the time my doctor (who was evaluating me for work required screening) had no concern with anything.

The men in my family have all died from heart related issues however they where all overweight, some obese. Heart health is a major concern for me overall. I want to make sure I am asking the right questions when I go to my consoltation. What does BUN refer to?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As what the other guy posted, 271 is low especially for your age. Change you diet. Your total test and E2 are low. Work on sleep as well. Take melatonin or something, reduce caffeine intake. Your LH is good so your “boys” should be getting a good signal to work. I’d start with diet and sleep first. Then get retested after a few months.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Test is low but I agree with the above. If you’ve run stuff in the past though then your balls may not have recovered or you’ve done damage to them. Often LH etc is good but test is still low and that’s mostly cause your balls (specifically certain cells) got damaged from a cycle

Bun is marker of kidney function. Elevated isn’t good but the other kidney markers are fine so I wouldn’t worry too much

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, you may actually be fine. Sure, test is a little low, but it's one blood test. Test fluctuates. LH looks good. If you have taken anything suppressive, did you do a proper PCT? Maybe you are still not up and running? Clomid or something may be all you need, or maybe it will just come back naturally.

The BUN is likely high because you workout and possibly eat more protein than the average person. Does not seem concerning.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, 1900 calories a day - what is your TDEE?

Jonathan734

Awards
UPDATE

Ended up getting prescribed 200mg 2x week subcutaneously. Started that the first of February. I'm feeling really good, but worried the dosage is too high. I have bloods scheduled for the end of this week but the facility rescheduled because they are only accepting patients that have doctor orders due to the corona virus. So I will be trying to get my doc to set that up. What are the thoughts on the dosage? Should I be much less? From doing some reading it is pretty high.