Help me combat recurring achilles tendon inflammation

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok people I need some help. This will be a long read so if you dont want to read it all ill give a synopsis at the top.

TLDR: Achilles tendon inflammation for the second time. Last time it stuck for 2 years, been 1 year free of it but this week it re-appered. Need advice on foods, supplementation, threatments EVERYTHING you can think of. I dont want to have to take NSAID for a year again :(

Ok, so for about a year ago i finally got rid of a serious inflammation of my achilles tendon. It had stuck with me for about a year AND before that I had a year of hell tendon inflammation. It all started with me wanting to get back to running as a mean to fell more "athletic". Well it backfired.

I had about 2 years with extreme pain to the point I was crawling to the bathroom each morning because i couldnt step on my left foot. I couldnt lie on my back because of how swollen my heel was, and putting on shoes was a nightmare. I continued training but leg training suffered of course.

I went to the doc first, he just gave a script for some stronger anti inflammation drugs and said hed see me again in 6 months. So I looked around on other treatments and tried both acupuncture (which hurt like a bitch) and Shock Wave Therapy (which also hurt like crazy). But none of these seemed to do much more than irritate it.

On my own i did both the eccentric loading and stretching of the calf muscle. But again, these things only seemed to aggravate the injury.

Supplementation:
Here is what im taking daily now (and have for a long while) in hope of keeping this from happening again
  • 1g of NovaSOL Curcumin every day
  • 2g Omega-3 70% (and i eat 200g Pink Salmon every other day)
  • Collagen product with MSM, Chondrotine sulphate, Boswellia, Hyaluronic acid etc
Exercise:
Things ive been doing in hope of this NOT happening again
  • Stretching
  • Foam rolling
  • NOT running
Last time I also had some CBD cream i rubbed into the achilles twice a day and that seemed to help. But I dont know if that was just because of the massaging it self or if the product actually did anything.

So if anyone have ANY suggestions please let me know. Like i said, i really dont wanna be chewing NSAIDS for 6 months just to be able to function normally.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure what you could add on top of the stretching and foam rolling in that department.

Supplement wise:
- Cissus XT
- Joint Support XT (when we get it back in bc of the Super Boswellin in it which can be particularly useful for things like that).

I'm going to pm you something else to try; I don't want the thread to turn into a debate about it because the science on it could be argued either way, but its helped some people I know and its cheap so may be worth a try.

Overall, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through that. That has to be miserable

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not sure what you could add on top of the stretching and foam rolling in that department.

Supplement wise:
- Cissus XT
- Joint Support XT (when we get it back in bc of the Super Boswellin in it which can be particularly useful for things like that).

I'm going to pm you something else to try; I don't want the thread to turn into a debate about it because the science on it could be argued either way, but its helped some people I know and its cheap so may be worth a try.

Overall, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through that. That has to be miserable
Thank you brother, i appreciate it!

Yeah Cissus XT and Joint Support XT is something I will invest in as soon as the EU shops gets it back in stock!

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am thinking of laying every part of that calf and all around the Achilles on a lacrosse ball and just letting the leg sink into it. Also lacrosse ball under the foot while standing especially to make the foot print as big as possible. Also band work pulling the upper foot back to work the front shin (stretches the Achilles) and doing fascia work on the front shin so it moves easier (which allows the Achilles to move easier).

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep I bet working on getting the shin gliding will help allot. I would not run any longer than three months at a time (and not run for six months), but that may be hard to do if u are a runner.

Waterford

Awards
Do you have access to stairs? To strengthen my Achilles I walk up and down stairs while barefoot. I no longer have any issues with mine.

Waterford

Awards
Do you have access to stairs? To strengthen my Achilles I walk up and down stairs while barefoot. I no longer have any issues with mine.