Help installing 4x8 plywood sign to building

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Ok..so I am helping a friend install a sign on the building it has a front awning type to it .the city said to install it with lag bolts to the studs... My question is could I use togglers bolts or something like that if I don't hit a stud I am figuring I am dealing with around 120lb sign and we are in a hurricane area also

Attachments

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
If you don't have a stud exactly where you want one, get a 6x6 or even a 4x4 and bridge between two studs. Do that twice. One bottom, one top. Whenever we come across something over 75lbs, a lag is what I use. Especially in a high wind area.

Not something to skimp on especially when it has a chance to fall on someone.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I can't behind the wall ... All I can do is attach to the front ... Unless you are meaning the wood is behind the plywood horizontally on the building

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
If you look at the other buildings next to there is a wall then the over hanging front of the building ....but no access to the back side of the front roof

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Do you have access to the attic/ceiling inside the store? There has to be an opening to the inside of the awning.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I will double check it ... But I didn't see anything

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I will double check it ... But I didn't see anything
Ok. Toggles will work but consider them a last resort. There should be a way to access the awning for an electrician.

Feel free to pm me anytime

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Awesome I am going to look tomorrow and see if there is anything .. If not I am planning to use lag bolts and might possible add toggle bolts also... I want it to be secure so nobody gets hurt

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
If the city inspector says use lag bolts, use lag bolts. Find the studs, and just lay 2x4 down on top of the shingles to bridge studs on outside. IF you don't use lags, and the inspector decides to be a dick, you'll be doing it twice. ESPECIALLY since you're in a hurricane zone.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
True. I was thinking of doing the lag bolts as stated but also using the toggler bolts in between for extra support and piece of mind ... Doubt I do 2x4 will just lag bolt to the roof/wall and do as I said above .... I am going to the hardware store today what grade bolt would be best...going to use stainless also