Help from marines/ military individuals

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Hey guys heres the deal I'm a college grad and no idea what i wanna do with my life

call it a strike of patriotism but I'm considering joining the marines. honestly i have no idea how it works and ive been told i can become an officer with my degree but thats like telling a child what a food is made of, I see the big picture but the details have me confused. anyone able to help give me direction/ advice it would be highly appreciated!

best,
CC

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Army Infantry

napalm

napalm

Awards
First step: go talk to a recruiter and tell him you are interested in OCS - officer candidate school. I'm sure there are other requirements than just being a college grad. Go do some real research and make sure this is what you to do.

<----USN 1981-1984, USS Forrestal

Good luck...

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys heres the deal I'm a college grad and no idea what i wanna do with my life

call it a strike of patriotism but I'm considering joining the marines. honestly i have no idea how it works and ive been told i can become an officer with my degree but thats like telling a child what a food is made of, I see the big picture but the details have me confused. anyone able to help give me direction/ advice it would be highly appreciated!

best,
CC
I'd look into all the branches talk to the recruiters. Be sure to tell them your looking to enlist as an officer don't let them try to convince you that you want to go in as an enlisted man. You have to push hard for what you want. Just be sure to remind and tell them your only looking to enlist as an officer. Remember it's still not going to be a cake walk just cause your an officer. But good luck to you.

Xtweak05

Xtweak05

Awards
Don't talk to an enlisted recruiter. Each branch has an officer recruiter hotline, call that. What interests you? Aviation, supply, intelligence? I served in the military and can give you a decent insight if you have any questions.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going in as enlisted is NOT that big of a deal ya bunch of ninnies!!!!!

If you do go in as an officer MOST of the time you aren't given a choice of your job. That's unfortunate for a few reasons not only do you not get the experience of whatever job they put you in because you're basically a supervisor passing out orders but again you don't get to pick your job.

Not picking your job is bad. The reason its bad is because after the military what are you going to do? You have a degree sweet! So does everyone else... You were in the military? How patriotic, what was your job? Artillery? Um... Well blowing people up doesn't really apply to managing our firm, sir. Thank you for your time... Are you following?

Being in the military is a great service to our country. The sacrifice we make for that goes beyond words. Most people that are hiring you don't really give a **** unless they also served. Think what will get you ahead in life so you can kill 2 birds with one stone. For example being a cop in the military will give you a great thing to put on your resume. Firefighter, same thing... Not all things translate, being a cook in the military won't get you Dick afterwards...

Best advice I can give you besides the above is JOIN THE AIRFORCE!!!! Especially if you're going to go in as an officer anyways, its not like you're going to be heading to the field with your gunnery sgts.

- Valdez

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going in as enlisted is NOT that big of a deal ya bunch of ninnies!!!!!

If you do go in as an officer MOST of the time you aren't given a choice of your job. That's unfortunate for a few reasons not only do you not get the experience of whatever job they put you in because you're basically a supervisor passing out orders but again you don't get to pick your job.

Not picking your job is bad. The reason its bad is because after the military what are you going to do? You have a degree sweet! So does everyone else... You were in the military? How patriotic, what was your job? Artillery? Um... Well blowing people up doesn't really apply to managing our firm, sir. Thank you for your time... Are you following?

Being in the military is a great service to our country. The sacrifice we make for that goes beyond words. Most people that are hiring you don't really give a **** unless they also served. Think what will get you ahead in life so you can kill 2 birds with one stone. For example being a cop in the military will give you a great thing to put on your resume. Firefighter, same thing... Not all things translate, being a cook in the military won't get you Dick afterwards...

Best advice I can give you besides the above is JOIN THE AIRFORCE!!!! Especially if you're going to go in as an officer anyways, its not like you're going to be heading to the field with your gunnery sgts.

- Valdez
Cept joining as enlisted your not guaranteed the job you want either. I have known plenty of guys who enlisted and didn't get the job they wanted. You have to make sure it's in your contract before you head off to BMT. Air Force is by the best in my opinion, I have known plenty of navy and army guys who wish they would of gone AF. But again if you go as an enlisted man, make sure everything you want is in that contract before you get sworn in. Cause if its not then I don't care how cool you are with your recruiter, he's just trying to make a quota. He holds no swag once your shipped off to BMT.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Cept joining as enlisted your not guaranteed the job you want either. I have known plenty of guys who enlisted and didn't get the job they wanted. You have to make sure it's in your contract before you head off to BMT. Air Force is by the best in my opinion, I have known plenty of navy and army guys who wish they would of gone AF. But again if you go as an enlisted man, make sure everything you want is in that contract before you get sworn in. Cause if its not then I don't care how cool you are with your recruiter, he's just trying to make a quota. He holds no swag once your shipped off to BMT.
well if you pick your mos... youve picked your job.. and make sure if you go in as an officer.. YOU GO TO BASIC TRAINING!!!!! too many officers dont go into basic training and dont know what its like.. not saying I know what its like because I havent been deployed.. but they are even MORE behind the curve, and when they do get deployed how are they supposed to lead? but thats just from a grunt point of view, you shouldnt have to worry about that if you pick a pog profession

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Air Force and army both guarantee jobs right now written in your contract... If they enlisted and didn't get what job they wanted they weren't paying attention at MEPS.

As far as I know the marines can't guarantee jobs. At least when I went to enlist there were no guaranteed jobs in the marines.

- Valdez

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Well a military background is great for criminal justice.