hawthorn flowers and leaves significantly reduce blood pressure

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Blood Pressure Cure Blooms with the Darling Buds of May

Daily Mail

06-02-06

THE darling buds of May could be the latest weapon against high blood pressure, according to a new study.

Researchers have found that tablets made from hawthorn flowers and leaves significantly reduce blood pressure readings in patients already taking prescribed medicines for diabetes and hypertension.

Dr Ann Walker, senior lecturer in human nutrition at Reading University, who led the study, said a key finding showed it was safe to take a natural remedy at the same time as prescribed medication.

The study in the latest British Journal of General Practice showed that patients benefited after just four months of treatment. Dr Walker, a qualified practitioner in herbal medicine, said: 'Hawthorn is widely used for cardiovascular support by herbal practitioners in the UK.

'The blood pressure lowering effect in this study was real, and worked in addition to the drugs being taken by patients.

'There has been a great deal of confusing publicity about herbal remedies affecting the efficacy of prescribed drugs, but we were able to confirm there were no sideeffectsor adverse reactions. As hypertension is such a huge problem in Western societies, any safe, natural approach, which can be used with or without modern drugs, is worth exploring.

'It is possible to have modern and herbal medicines working in harmony.'

High blood pressure is one of the major risk factors for stroke and heart attacks. It is estimated that one in three adults, around 17 million Britons, has high blood pressure. Among the elderly the proportion is even higher, at around 66 per cent.

In the study, 79 patients with type II diabetes were given either hawthorn or dummy tablets in addition to their prescribed medication for diabetes, hypertension or both conditions.

They took the tablets for 16 weeks and ate a normal diet.

Blood pressure readings, which measure the force exerted on the walls of the arteries when the heart beats, were taken at the start and end of the study.

Systolic blood pressure is the 'top' figure, representing the pressure in your arteries as blood is pushed through them, while diastolic is the 'bottom' figure, which measures the pressure when the heart is filling with blood in preparation for the next heartbeat. A reading over 140/90 mmHg is said to be high.

The study found diastolic blood pressure was cut by around 3mmHG in patients taking hawthorn. Dr Walker said this was a statistically significant reduction, while there was also a cut in the 'top' systolic score.

She said hawthorn contained flavonoids, natural ingredients that have health benefits, especially for the circulation. 'It works by relaxing blood vessels which reduces the pressure needed for blood flow.' Hypertension expert Professor Bryan Williams, said: 'Lowering blood pressure in diabetes is very important to reduce the risk of further complications.

'This is an interesting idea but blood pressure lowering medications have already been shown to reduce the risk of stoke and heart disease and it is important that patients continue to take their prescribed medicines.' He added that the findings now need to be 'rigorously evaluated' before being taken further.

Hawthorn, which has the botanical name Crataegus oxycantha, has long been recognised by health authorities in Germany, where many extracts and medicinal preparations use hawthorn alone or in combination with other herbs.

A study by the German Federal Ministry of Health found hawthorn gently increases the strength of the heart, normalises rhythm and benefits circulation within the heart itself by dilating the coronary arteries.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Which is why we have the more concentrated extract of Hawthorn in our Cycle Support Formula ;).

monkeyboy

Awards
Hey LakeMountD that Cycle Support Formula sounds great. I just went on the site and its out of stock. Any idea when its back in? Thanks!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Hey LakeMountD that Cycle Support Formula sounds great. I just went on the site and its out of stock. Any idea when its back in? Thanks!
Yeah we sold out two days ago. That was the second smaller run that we did with it. It came out about two weeks ago and we had 30 each time. We sold out on the first batch in 24 hours and the second in a few days. This next round we will have more than 30 though so you can check it out then. Give it until either Friday or Monday :).

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
sorry if i missed it,but can someone point out a good dose of xxx% extract?or how much tea from the raw material?

RugbyHooligan

RugbyHooligan

Awards
I've always like Solaray's Brand of Hawthorne

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Blood Pressure Cure Blooms with the Darling Buds of May

Daily Mail

06-02-06

THE darling buds of May could be the latest weapon against high blood pressure, according to a new study.

Researchers have found that tablets made from hawthorn flowers and leaves significantly reduce blood pressure readings in patients already taking prescribed medicines for diabetes and hypertension.

Dr Ann Walker, senior lecturer in human nutrition at Reading University, who led the study, said a key finding showed it was safe to take a natural remedy at the same time as prescribed medication.

The study in the latest British Journal of General Practice showed that patients benefited after just four months of treatment. Dr Walker, a qualified practitioner in herbal medicine, said: 'Hawthorn is widely used for cardiovascular support by herbal practitioners in the UK.

'The blood pressure lowering effect in this study was real, and worked in addition to the drugs being taken by patients.

'There has been a great deal of confusing publicity about herbal remedies affecting the efficacy of prescribed drugs, but we were able to confirm there were no sideeffectsor adverse reactions. As hypertension is such a huge problem in Western societies, any safe, natural approach, which can be used with or without modern drugs, is worth exploring.

'It is possible to have modern and herbal medicines working in harmony.'

High blood pressure is one of the major risk factors for stroke and heart attacks. It is estimated that one in three adults, around 17 million Britons, has high blood pressure. Among the elderly the proportion is even higher, at around 66 per cent.

In the study, 79 patients with type II diabetes were given either hawthorn or dummy tablets in addition to their prescribed medication for diabetes, hypertension or both conditions.

They took the tablets for 16 weeks and ate a normal diet.

Blood pressure readings, which measure the force exerted on the walls of the arteries when the heart beats, were taken at the start and end of the study.

Systolic blood pressure is the 'top' figure, representing the pressure in your arteries as blood is pushed through them, while diastolic is the 'bottom' figure, which measures the pressure when the heart is filling with blood in preparation for the next heartbeat. A reading over 140/90 mmHg is said to be high.

The study found diastolic blood pressure was cut by around 3mmHG in patients taking hawthorn. Dr Walker said this was a statistically significant reduction, while there was also a cut in the 'top' systolic score.

She said hawthorn contained flavonoids, natural ingredients that have health benefits, especially for the circulation. 'It works by relaxing blood vessels which reduces the pressure needed for blood flow.' Hypertension expert Professor Bryan Williams, said: 'Lowering blood pressure in diabetes is very important to reduce the risk of further complications.

'This is an interesting idea but blood pressure lowering medications have already been shown to reduce the risk of stoke and heart disease and it is important that patients continue to take their prescribed medicines.' He added that the findings now need to be 'rigorously evaluated' before being taken further.

Hawthorn, which has the botanical name Crataegus oxycantha, has long been recognised by health authorities in Germany, where many extracts and medicinal preparations use hawthorn alone or in combination with other herbs.

A study by the German Federal Ministry of Health found hawthorn gently increases the strength of the heart, normalises rhythm and benefits circulation within the heart itself by dilating the coronary arteries.
great post this is one of the few supplements that I use everyday year round and it works very well. My doc was threatening me with b/p meds d/t some borderline high readings in her office so I added hawthorn berry to my daily regimen and my b/p readings are significantly lower, good stuff.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
sorry if i missed it,but can someone point out a good dose of xxx% extract?or how much tea from the raw material?
Check out the products sold by the board sponsors. They should be tried and tested for people in this lifestyle.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
If you check my signature you can find a link to anabolic innovations cycle support, which might have what you are looking for.