Has anyone actually stuck with Keto, specifically CKD for fat loss?

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
Hey guys, haven't posted in a LONG time. Just jumping back into the online portion, forms, etc.

Anyways. Has anyone actually tried Keto, specifically CKD and stayed on this WOE for a while, seen results, have any insight on it?

Thanks.

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How longs a while to you? I did straight keto for a little over 4 months with really good success. I dropped 50ish lbs and besides the 1st couple weeks it really wasn’t tough. I did lose a lot of strength but I also lost a ton of fat.

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I should've been more specific sorry. Yes like 4-6months+

I've been on it for 5 weeks now, have had 2 refeed days (doing CKD opted for every 14th day) but feel for a whole week I have come to a standpoint even with a 1,000 calorie a deficit. Based off the sticks I am moderate to high releasing ketones. All last week and this week I've added stated cardio to try and ramp up fat loss but just at a plateau.

Was wondering if anyone had experienced this?

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
why do you want to do a Keto diet? you wont have any benefits! its even the opposite- you will loose strength due lack of carbs!

for a bodybuilder there is NO reason to cut out all the carbs. always stay with enough fat for hormones (AT LEAST 0.5/kg bodyweight; personally i eat ~1g/kg) and enough proteine (2.5g/kg bodyweight while in diet; while bulking you can reduce to 2g/kg bodyweight, if you want to)
and then fill the calories left with carbs! much better for a weightlifter! if you are an endurance-athlete you could habe some benefits from a keto diet but also only if you eat keto all the time to have enough time to let the body adjust and for bulding ketones.

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I put on a lot of unwanted weight started back into lifting this may and did what I always did for cutting which was carb cycling well I reached so many plateaus in doing so I believe because of getting older possibly slower metabolism not really sure and got to the point where I researched extreme fat loss dieting and came across the keto diet in August did enough research to know that it actually is a pretty good diet and way of life for some and has actually between that and intermittent fasting made my body feel a whole lot better than when I was eating carbs not trying to convert anyone trust me I still love carbs but my body does not I have not had any gastritis issues Since switching over to Keto personally. Initially my strength drop that first in the gym but I would say I'm pretty much at paar now strength-wise I just don't know why even with reducing my calories even more I am not experiencing any more fat loss scale or mirror and I've pretty much reached yet another plateau

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Power lifter, huh. Yeah when I was n high school I used to power lift, but I was 94lbs in da 114 class, lil dude ya know. Now that im older and quite a few major injuries alongside partying, like I had sense ya know (that is me telling the younger me, NO NO NO). Well im 36 now and weigh 205 and Well ive been doing keto for heck I guess a month n a half and I've lost like 10lbs. I believe im in for the long run cause high fats makes me not over eat or sit in my bed with my mind not letting me sleep till I feed myself and im not even really hungry , but as far as strength loss I'd say a little bit yes, cause if ur a power lifter u know u can syke ya mind out if needed to buck da system. But im n no shape to power lift n e more. Even when I do up my protein again, I know now that fat plays an important role im feeling full. Me, myself I've quit using carbs pre w/o and use vegetables high in nitrates and I find that works as good as carbs. And i bet carbs and nitrated togather are a power lifters rocket fuel, idk. But give keto a try, u may love the results, good luck and safe hard lifting to all HO, HO, HO (merry x mas n a few months)

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I'm 33, a little younger, I started doing meets in high school and competed after in my 20's haven't since then. Best lifts were at 220lb BW

I've been doing Keto for 5 weeks now and do enjoy it just felt I reached a bit of a plateau. After researching last night like a mad man and most of the day today I think I figured out why.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Why, im interested? I understand that it's no diagnosis but boy I got a million things running thru my head cause im kinda plateaued too I believe, started something to lower my cortisol down earlier today(think that is one if my fat issues) like I said im 205 but would make a nice 185er he'll I could focus on my strength then. I kinda always had da strength thing but gotta watch too much weight, don't wanna hurt my self no more so I focus on my form and squeezes now. Im so off subject, my bad, so PLEASE tell me ur plateau theory! !!

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I looked up a few articles by Remington James and Jason Wittrock which both do Keto and they said once you get under 15% body fat your body needs refeeds more often to increase leptin levels which is the hormone in your body that regulates fat reduction so I feel that doing a refeed every two weeks like I have been up until this point is not working and I need one more often this is my theory based off of research from what I've read and I'm still researching more on how to increase leptin levels but the only thing I find is increased glycogen storage which is adding in carbs which is complete opposite of being in ketosis so obviously this is why CKD works but not how most articles on CKD are geared which is a refeed every 10 to 12 days that does not specify a person's body fat or activity level so I'm assuming with strength training 6 days a week and being under 15% body fat that I need to incorporate a refeed more often so I'm switching it two instead of 13 days in ketosis and one refeed then repeats I'm going to 5 days in ketosis in 2 days refeed to see how that works I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else so I will be my own guinea pig LOL

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
At 185 I would be staged ready so yes I'd like to be there too LOL

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Don't go believing what im bout to tell ya, b/c I accidentally ran across some little article yesterday and I got off Internet cause it was late but it was saying something about how it can take up to 2 days to get ur body back n 2 ketosis, idk man. Just made me think of it when u were talking bout refeeds then shortening ur time between then wouldn't(if what I read were correct) that shorten ur days n ketosis. Don't kill da messange please!! Cause it is a possibility my ADHD mind waaaay over analyzed it.

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I have done refeeds while on keto so I know this is true the way I got back into ketosis after my first one is how Remington James suggest my last meal on refeed was 8 p.m. Saturday I fasted all the way to 8 p.m. Sunday and had a full fat meal pretty much 1200 calories of fat and maybe a 150 grams of protein total so 1800 calories for the day this was following a fasted workout that I did 60 Minutes stated cardio and two hours of full body at 30% of what I normally use for weights the very next day Monday I did my typical fasted workout in the morning chest tris and shoulders and then ate regularly throughout the day and by night I was in light ketosis (based off pee strips)

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Oooh yeah the strips....where can I get those, and are they expensive? ?

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
LOL no cheap. $10 for 50 strips. I got them at Walgreens.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
When I get little hungers I've bought some nuts to crack,mixed walnuts hazelnuts braziliannuts and almonds then I eat around 2-6 of them and that'll curb my hungers. And when I get my little nauseousness and tension like head aches , I put a little salt n my hand and lick it up (to save on buying too many powerade) and my symptoms ease up, maybe im over thinking the salt thing (hope not) but the nuts for a lil snack do work for me.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Question. When u do ya refeeds do u just eat fairly normal or do u go carb heavy intentionally? Also do u make it a whole day or one meal or two meals? Im noticing when I do a refeed every week, that I feel better mentally and I don't mind jumping back into keto eating again. So, yeah, let me know ur idea on how u refeed please!!! Thanks cause this has been on my mind past few days.

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
I refeed carb high, fat low, protein 1g per pound that I weigh. Goal is to have high carbs. And one dull day of eating is all I do. Not 2 or 4 etc

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
Yes. Go on www ruled dot me look up CKD you'll see how much you have to eat in a refeed.

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
You should google Dr. Jacob Wilson, he is huge in Ketogenic studies. I listened to a podcast he was on about CKD and the standard Keto diet. His study compared both and both lost the same weight over a period of time. The findings were interesting the standard lost all body fat and the CKD lost body fat and muscle. He took from this study that if you are refueling every Saturday, it took those people an average of 3-4 days to get back into ketosis. Which now was 3-4 more days the other group had more in ketosis and in a fat burning state. I am no expert and am on my second run of Keto. I did it for about 10 weeks earlier this year and loved it, but when I got off I went carb nuts! Dr. Jacob Wilson is a guy everyone in the Keto world looks to for performance information in Keto.
He is on YouTube as well.
Good luck

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
Thank you. I'll look it up. I do every 2 weeks refeed though, not weekly.

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
Just citing the study he did. I did do a reseed for myself and it seemed to mentally help. Then I heard that study and just stayed Keto for the rest. There are a bunch of good podcasts out there if you listen to podcasts. Ketogenic Athlete is funny and good, KetoSavage is good when he has guests. He is a little over the top sometimes for me though.

PowerLifter23

PowerLifter23

Awards
Not just mentally but refeeds fill me out and then going back on to cutting it off makes me look better. I don't care about the scale.

Appreciate it, I'll look some up

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Did my refeed yesterday and back on my keto 2day and im glad to be back on it, heck I ate a hamburger (with da bread) yesterday among other carbs thru out da day and I really didn't enjoy it like I used too and really wasn't satisfied with like I could have just ate and ate and ate . It could just be me but I believe all da carbs yesterday made me sluggish but at da same time I can tell my body and mind needed a recharge I guess you'd say. Good thing, man!!! Thanks for your opinions and the good reading material u turned me on to power lifter23!!!! Good luck to u on your goals also brother!!!

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
If u dont mind me asking...what does your calories end up looking like at end of day ? Just your round about average?

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Just checking cause I have been doing 1700-2100(haven't gotten 2100 or lil over a few times)and my protein levels were scary low (or atleast thats how I feel)like 50-70g. But ive been keeping my carbs very low. Ive been doing more reading on that site and I believe my issues been too many fats. Because I been doing like 75% fat so imma drop that down a hair and replace it w a little more protein and up calories a hair over 2000. Ok, phew, feels better I got that out!!! I do have quite a bit of fat left to get rid of(probably always will, mom was American Indian and well most indians suffer with fat issues). Just get nervous when I look in mirrow and clothes dont seem to be filled out like im used to. Thanks for da pick me brother! !!

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Do u use a little salt to keep ya headaches and nausea down? The reason I ask is b/c since I take a little salt every time I eat to keep symptoms down it seems as if I've gotten my strength back and no more bad headache or nausea symptoms but I was wondering if it's made your pee stream weaker ? Cause mine has, I mean it's something I can deal with but was also wondering if I was alone on this?

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Man I just found out about shirataki noodles and I just used them for a low carb low calorie chicken fettuccine. Now that's whats going down n da streets. I'm using miracle noodle

saylee

saylee

Awards
I've ran a Keto based diet plenty of times: TKD,CKD, etc.

I love it/loved it and it is a good diet, I would definitely recommend that you do plan your work outs ahead of time and that you do separate cardio from weight resistance training sessions.