Hardware Supplements

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'm on day 18 of a Ketogenic Cut using a NovaMax Blood Ketone Meter. Realizing groups of people react differently, I'll say this:

If you are thinking of Keto to lose fat, you *really* need to get this meter (there are others, but this was the best deal, but shop around - Freedom, and PrecisionXtra make them too). While my Ketostix were showing "Trace" and "Small" Acetoacetate after 3 days, I had ZERO Beta-hydroxybutyrate in the blood until today.

Phinney and Volek recommend 0.5 - 3mmol of BhB as a good range, and the best time to check is after waking up (long fast). Today I clocked in at 0.4mmol - so I still have some work to do.

Now here's the kicker that will cause coronaries in the Protein Police: That 0.4 was only obtained until I dropped total protein to 90g/Day, with Fat at about 200g/Day. Today I dropped another 10g of P, to 80g and upped the fat to 210g to hopefully hit 0.5mmol or higher. This tracks with what Jimmy Moore had to do - basically 85% Fat, 15% Combined Protein/Carb. Gluconeogenesis is a bjtch.

Nope, not worried about "losing muscle", and even if I do, it'll come back quick when I resume the recovery diet after the cut.

But bottom line PSA: Don't buy Ketostix - Do buy a Blood Ketone Meter if you want to maximize a Ketogenic Cut (You will obviously still lose fat due to just the deficit - but if I'm going to go through the hassle, I want true Keto occurring).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
1.1 mmol this morning. I have arrived.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
Hardware is awesome. Get heart rate monitors too people. Stop guessing how many calories you're burning and find out for sure with a decent heart rate monitor. Much easier to track your caloric maintenance and then adjust your workload for cutting and bulking.