Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good work on the pulls and what not!
as far as dumbell pressing whenever i ended up going heavy on db press for a while (reps of 5) i would notice my bb went up. that's just me though.
what is this titan ram you speak of?
This

aceroni

Awards
so it is essentially a sling shot?
i was doing some raw bb benching last week, 245x5, 275x4 (two board) then 275x7 to a four board.
didnt have any pain whatsoever, until the next day, put my arm up to put on my shirt and ooooooooooooh ****.
went to the chiropractor to find out i actually strained my pec major =(
guess im not pressing this week, possibly next week, we'll see.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so it is essentially a sling shot?
i was doing some raw bb benching last week, 245x5, 275x4 (two board) then 275x7 to a four board.
didnt have any pain whatsoever, until the next day, put my arm up to put on my shirt and ooooooooooooh ****.
went to the chiropractor to find out i actually strained my pec major =(
guess im not pressing this week, possibly next week, we'll see.
Similar to a Slingshot, but the arms comes up higher and I like the fit better.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you gonna use the ram on de bench similar to briefs on lower days? Also what have the db presses done for your bench? Bc my chest strength is also awful. Very bad.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you gonna use the ram on de bench similar to briefs on lower days? Also what have the db presses done for your bench? Bc my chest strength is also awful. Very bad.
Kinda similar, but I use the briefs mainly to for the compression. My briefs aren't really tight and have just enough compression for my hips. The Ram will put more closely mimic my shirted groove and give me some extra pop off of the chest like my shirt. I haven't worked up to 100% off of the chest in my shirt lately, so the DB presses are primarily to just become a stronger person in general and I've noticed a correlation with everyone that I train with that I have the lowest DB presses and lowest bench. It might not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to increase my chest strength and stability holding extra weight.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Kinda similar, but I use the briefs mainly to for the compression. My briefs aren't really tight and have just enough compression for my hips. The Ram will put more closely mimic my shirted groove and give me some extra pop off of the chest like my shirt. I haven't worked up to 100% off of the chest in my shirt lately, so the DB presses are primarily to just become a stronger person in general and I've noticed a correlation with everyone that I train with that I have the lowest DB presses and lowest bench. It might not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to increase my chest strength and stability holding extra weight.
I need to get a pair of briefs so I can really start pushing my sumo. Ill look into a ram also. Raw DE bench helps my raw bench but not my shirted one. Ive noticed the same thing, which is why ive asked. My partners can all handle 100s and above and all bench raw 355 and above.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9/21 ME Bench

Bench (raw)
Worked up to 315x1

WYT/BB Curls/Pressdowns
15x6/65x15/90x15
15x6/75x15/90x15
15x6/75x15/90x15

Stuck to a somewhat easy raw day as I have been doing a lot of shirted work lately and need to be cognizant to not push too hard. Also, my impingement on my right bicep/delt was a little cranky on this day and working up to 455 or so would've just exacerbated things.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9/25 DE Upper

Banded Speed Bench (short minis)
145x3x9

JM Press
185x12
205x9
215x8
225x7 PR

Overhead Rope Ex/Facepulls
70x10x4/80x15x4

Band Ex Rotations (mini)
15x3

After celebrating my anniversary over the weekend, I hit the gym today and had a really good session. I think I may have found a better groove on my raw bench, which is much higher than what I was using for the past 2-3 years. The main adjustment that I made was to actually lessen my arch somewhat and focus more on driving the heels down while spreading the bar, which helps the tightness and bring the bar higher with more pop.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9/26 DE Lower

Speed Pulls
315x2x12

GM (moderate stance)
135x10
185x10x4

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15
100x15
115x15
115x15-drop-85x15

In the fraking zone during this session. I made sure to use a stop watch during the speed pulls to keep a good pace and I came in at 11:29 without sacrificing technique or speed. In fact, I may have improved my speed throughout as found a really tight groove. I've been tinkering with my stance width to go slightly wider than the width I have been using for over a year now. With the gear, my hips stay healthy and I can nearly go collar-to-collar without getting the adhesions and pinching of my groin and hip flexors. Now that I've conquered 600 (BTW, I still can't believe the progress I've made in the past 4 months going from 475-605), my target to hit in training before the meet is 625, but I only plan to pull 1-2 more times before the meet, so it may not happen. Regardless, I'm still thrilled and proud of everything I've accomplished this year.

aceroni

Awards
Yes man, I must agree. I've been following for what seems quite a while and you've been making awesome progress.
Good work my friend.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/26 DE Lower

Speed Pulls
315x2x12

GM (moderate stance)
135x10
185x10x4

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15
100x15
115x15
115x15-drop-85x15

In the fraking zone during this session. I made sure to use a stop watch during the speed pulls to keep a good pace and I came in at 11:29 without sacrificing technique or speed. In fact, I may have improved my speed throughout as found a really tight groove. I've been tinkering with my stance width to go slightly wider than the width I have been using for over a year now. With the gear, my hips stay healthy and I can nearly go collar-to-collar without getting the adhesions and pinching of my groin and hip flexors. Now that I've conquered 600 (BTW, I still can't believe the progress I've made in the past 4 months going from 475-605), my target to hit in training before the meet is 625, but I only plan to pull 1-2 more times before the meet, so it may not happen. Regardless, I'm still thrilled and proud of everything I've accomplished this year.
How do you avoid the bar grinding and ripping open your shins? My gym has a brand new deadlift bar which has ripped thru my socks and tape a couple times haha. One reason I went back to conv was bc my shins werent healing and kept being ripped open.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you avoid the bar grinding and ripping open your shins? My gym has a brand new deadlift bar which has ripped thru my socks and tape a couple times haha. One reason I went back to conv was bc my shins werent healing and kept being ripped open.
For whatever reason I don't have that issue. What I do get, though, is a chunk of my teardrop taken out during the lockout by my fingernails.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For whatever reason I don't have that issue. What I do get, though, is a chunk of my teardrop taken out during the lockout by my fingernails.
Damn, I could really use some tips bc I really enjoyed sumo until I was bleeding from 135 ripping my legs up haha.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Side would be nice.
Ok. One thing that may be happening, and this is common, is the you're trajectory is up and towards your body instead of just straight up. I was getting some of the shin tearing until I really started to think of it as a leg press and focus on just pushing on the outside of my foot.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok. One thing that may be happening, and this is common, is the you're trajectory is up and towards your body instead of just straight up. I was getting some of the shin tearing until I really started to think of it as a leg press and focus on just pushing on the outside of my foot.
Yes I pulled up and back. I do it on both the conv and sumo. Is that bad? I was also loading my glutes, hams, and some hips while spreading the floor. I would imagine I was attempting to overpull the weight to get my shoulders moving back. Thats what I read to do. I dont know a single pwl inperson that does sumo in any form ever.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I pulled up and back. I do it on both the conv and sumo. Is that bad? I was also loading my glutes, hams, and some hips while spreading the floor. I would imagine I was attempting to overpull the weight to get my shoulders moving back. Thats what I read to do. I dont know a single pwl inperson that does sumo in any form ever.
I wouldn't say bad, but it is not ideal. I used to do the up and back method as well and have added at least 50lbs since I tinkered with the bar path.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldn't say bad, but it is not ideal. I used to do the up and back method as well and have added at least 50lbs since I tinkered with the bar path.
Do you have any resouces that can explain the sumo step by step? Bc I used brian schwabs articles. What groups should be loaded as you go down to the bar? Bc you said treat it like a leg press so Im guessing there is quite a bit of quad involvement? Ive never heard the leg press thing before or the straigh up and down path.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have any resouces that can explain the sumo step by step? Bc I used brian schwabs articles. What groups should be loaded as you go down to the bar? Bc you said treat it like a leg press so Im guessing there is quite a bit of quad involvement? Ive never heard the leg press thing before or the straigh up and down path.
I got that from the pro that I train with off and on. What he meant by the leg press was to focus on just extending the legs while pushing out on the feet while envisioning a leg press ROM in your head. The main thing I focus on loading up is a tight upper back and grip while making sure to sit back on my hips and pull the slack out.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got that from the pro that I train with off and on. What he meant by the leg press was to focus on just extending the legs while pushing out on the feet while envisioning a leg press ROM in your head. The main thing I focus on loading up is a tight upper back and grip while making sure to sit back on my hips and pull the slack out.
Well for whatever reason if I didnt load my hamstring right my psoas would take suck a beating. But ill try your tips tomorrow and try to get some video. I dont enjoy conv as much as sumo. I seem to get stuck around heavy weights.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well for whatever reason if I didnt load my hamstring right my psoas would take suck a beating. But ill try your tips tomorrow and try to get some video. I dont enjoy conv as much as sumo. I seem to get stuck around heavy weights.
Focusing on the outside of the foot has helped with my psoas issues.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think this convo helped me as well. Right now, though, I have bigger problems with sumo in that either because of my leverages or because of my mobility I just can't get down far enough correctly, or I can't put my legs wide out enough, or something, to sumo properly. I dont know.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the tips.
No problem.

I think this convo helped me as well. Right now, though, I have bigger problems with sumo in that either because of my leverages or because of my mobility I just can't get down far enough correctly, or I can't put my legs wide out enough, or something, to sumo properly. I dont know.
Your height is working against you in this scenario. You'll need very fluid and mobile hips and thighs to get into a good sumo groove.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9/28 ME Upper

Bench
425x3 (2-board)
405x1 (touch)

OHP
140x8
140x7
140x7

DB Rows
145x17

WY/Pressdowns
15x8/80x15
15x8/80x15

Kinda weird day. I had tremendous energy and focus throughout the entire session, but struggled with my bench groove. I needed 3 attempts with 405 just to touch it to a damn 2-board. I've done this dozens of times and the difficulty really forced me to take a moment and analyze some things that I was doing technically. I was so focused on loading my lats that I forgot to stay wide and patient and I'd lose the groove by rushing the bar down. Once I stepped back and reflected, I was able to get moving again and the rest of the session rocked.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9/30 ME Lower

SSB Squat
Worked up to 590x1; briefs and straps down

DB Side Bends/Bulgarian SS (BW)
70x15/15
80x10/15
85x10/15
85x10/15

First time using a SSB and it felt really weird for the first few sets. I had to move the height of the mono up to accomodate for the thicker pad and then adjust my posture slightly. I didn't notice the increased tension on the upper back, but I did notice that it shifted a lot of the weight to my knees and quads. The last set tweaked my lumbar a bit, so I called it since it was a new movement and there's no need to push to failure on them.

aceroni

Awards
9/30 ME Lower

SSB Squat
Worked up to 590x1; briefs and straps down

DB Side Bends/Bulgarian SS (BW)
70x15/15
80x10/15
85x10/15
85x10/15

First time using a SSB and it felt really weird for the first few sets. I had to move the height of the mono up to accomodate for the thicker pad and then adjust my posture slightly. I didn't notice the increased tension on the upper back, but I did notice that it shifted a lot of the weight to my knees and quads. The last set tweaked my lumbar a bit, so I called it since it was a new movement and there's no need to push to failure on them.
Good **** man I love ssb, great tool for getting stronger no doubt

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
145x20

Close Grip
225x8
245x7

Dips/Facepulls
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15

Solid effort on this day. Nothing too spectacular, but can't complain either. I've thrown dips back into the equation for some overall volume that is CNS friendly and because it was a mistake to throw out a staple lift like this for an extended period of time. Probably won't be adding them as a supplemental lift anytime soon, though, as I have to be cognizant of throwing in too much that could potentially strain/irritate my right shoulder.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
145x20

Close Grip
225x8
245x7

Dips/Facepulls
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15

Solid effort on this day. Nothing too spectacular, but can't complain either. I've thrown dips back into the equation for some overall volume that is CNS friendly and because it was a mistake to throw out a staple lift like this for an extended period of time. Probably won't be adding them as a supplemental lift anytime soon, though, as I have to be cognizant of throwing in too much that could potentially strain/irritate my right shoulder.
I havent done dips in quite some time either. I quite bc my shoulders were getting to much work at the time and it was showing in my bench. What do you see from them as far as carryover?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I havent done dips in quite some time either. I quite bc my shoulders were getting to much work at the time and it was showing in my bench. What do you see from them as far as carryover?
Can't really say as I've just added them back into the routine in the past three weeks or so. What I can tell, though, is that my pecs have gotten tighter and the muscle belly has slightly less elasticity than they once did. That's the main reason I'm not adding any weight for awhile as I need to work out that issue first.

After this meet, I'm thinking about doing an experiment where all I do for primary and supplemental upper-body work is bench, close-grip, dips, OHP, pullups, and rows in addition to scapula/rotator cuff work.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Would love to see a video on your sumo, just started doing them as opposed to conv and felt amazing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So how come you push your hips way through at the top and arch back, I've always heard not to do that as it can hurt your back bad?
I exaggerated the lockout on purpose.

aceroni

Awards
10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
145x20

Close Grip
225x8
245x7

Dips/Facepulls
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15
BWx15/80x15

I used to love weighted dips myself I always thought they were great for thickening the triceps, and seemed to help my bench strength a bit.. Unfortunately they're too easy to add too much weight, and I strained my pec going too deep and too heavy on them too often,
Be careful my friend

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can't really say as I've just added them back into the routine in the past three weeks or so. What I can tell, though, is that my pecs have gotten tighter and the muscle belly has slightly less elasticity than they once did. That's the main reason I'm not adding any weight for awhile as I need to work out that issue first.

After this meet, I'm thinking about doing an experiment where all I do for primary and supplemental upper-body work is bench, close-grip, dips, OHP, pullups, and rows in addition to scapula/rotator cuff work.
Ive been doing something similar with my assistence work. focusing on a few main lifts to really see how they help my bench.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that was a nice pull, what do you weigh now?
I was 209 this morning. I've been losing weigh to compete at 198 and don't want to do a big cut. I'm aiming for 10 at the most.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I was 209 this morning. I've been losing weigh to compete at 198 and don't want to do a big cut. I'm aiming for 10 at the most.
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, do you have a meet coming up? A 10 lb cut is doable in like 5 days.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, do you have a meet coming up? A 10 lb cut is doable in like 5 days.
In December. I'll be able to cut that overnight. I was able to cut 17 lbs back when I was fighting and I survived that and I was 20 lbs lighter then.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/5 ME Upper

Bench
405x1 (3-board)
405x1x2 (2-board)
405x1 (1-board)
405x1 (touched)

Lat Bar Pressdowns/YW
90x15/15x7
90x15/15x7
90x15/15x7
90x15/15x7

I finally, FINALLY was able to touch in my shirt and press the weight up. I've been tinkering with my arch and setup lately and actually reduced my arch a bit. My back tightness has returned for the past few weeks and it severely limits my leg drive and, ergo, my bench sucks for that day. Also, losing a little weight has helped me to get the shirt about 1.5" above my elbow and has helped me to stay wider to get more out of the shirt. Everything is on track for December and the total I'm chasing is 1650-1700. I'll be more conservative on my pull that day as I'll likely be fatigued from the other efforts, but I'll be chasing 665/425/585 with my eye on Elite in April. This meet is mainly to get my feet wet and to gear up for April.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/7 ME Lower

This day went to absolute hell really quickly. I was able to loosen up pretty well, but couldn't get out of a major fog from a lack of sleep. The goal for the day was to hit 635x2, but I had to call it a day at 515. As I was attempting to rack the weight, the arms on the mono shifted (the mono I have access to is a piece of ****, no bones about it) and the weight shifted to my toes. As I tried to balance myself, I had to push on my toes and I strained my right calf. I tried to take the weight again, but it hurt too badly and I called it a day.

aceroni

Awards
10/7 ME Lower

This day went to absolute hell really quickly. I was able to loosen up pretty well, but couldn't get out of a major fog from a lack of sleep. The goal for the day was to hit 635x2, but I had to call it a day at 515. As I was attempting to rack the weight, the arms on the mono shifted (the mono I have access to is a piece of ****, no bones about it) and the weight shifted to my toes. As I tried to balance myself, I had to push on my toes and I strained my right calf. I tried to take the weight again, but it hurt too badly and I called it a day.
****ing sucks bro, we all have bad days though.. Hope you heal quickly so you can get back in it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
****ing sucks bro, we all have bad days though.. Hope you heal quickly so you can get back in it
It's feeling much better now, but not going to risk speed work today. Probably still going to abs and lower back, though, since you can never be too strong in those areas.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/9 RE Upper

Flat DB Press
100x9
100x8
90x10
90x12

Kroc Rows
150x18

Dips
BWx15
BW+25x9
BW+45x7

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
60x15/70x15
60x15/70x15
60x15/70x15
60x15/70x15

This was a great day of training. Didn't want to speed bench to not put some strain on the calf and not turn this into a nagging thing as leg drive is my most important aspect in benching. Judging by the DOMS that I already have about 15 hours after training, I sufficiently hit my chest and triceps with the wighted dips with a very deep ROM. It still sucks how much strength-endurance I've lost in them as I was able to do 12-15 with 45# added and I was heavier then, too, but I also steered away from them for a good 3-4 months. Hell, I more or less neglected the entire vertical flex/ex movements as I, moronically, become too focused on benching instead of becoming an overall stronger person.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They've been brought back in recently. Tried to do them yesterday, but my grip was dead after Krocs.
Since im raw I do some chins as a warm-up on upper days for maintance work. And I cycle jm press and sohp as a supp lift on de upper days. Once I go full geared ill do more chins since gear loads the lats more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/10 DE Lower

Box Squats (suit only, straps down)
365x2x12

GM
135x15x5

Standing Cable Crunches
120x15x4

Quick DE session that went better than I expected. Calf is feeling much better and I didn't feel any aftereffects of Sunday's training. Kinda lost the technique for box squats and the suit makes it really, really difficult to go below parallel with that amount of weight, but it's great technique re-enforcement since you have to really keep tight and push out on the knees to hit the box.