Hair loss what do you guys use. Minoxidil opinions ?

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hey so don't really have that bad of hair loss maybe just some thinning during cycle but like to stay on top of it. So far been using Pura d or shampoo but want to see if there's anything better.

Def don't want to take fin. But do you guys recommend any good hair restoration shampoos or supps. Any of you guys use minoxidil? Scared to use because some guys say you need to be on it for life once you start and some say made there hair worse. Any suggestions greatly appreciated .

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here's my good ole hair loss post:

I recommend checking out https://www.hairlosstalk.com/

They have lots of good articles, a forum, feedback from member son various methods of what hair loss treatments work and what don't.

My hairline is starting to recede and I've been using a product called PURA D’OR Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo. It has lots of great ingredients that inhibit DHT production at the scalp, including saw palmetto, Pygem, Nettle extract, and they also include Nizoral (Ketoconazole) which has been shown to block DHT at the receptor site in the scalp. There is also biotin in it of course, which is another supplement you should be taking for hair loss (although the studies are scant).

They also make a very good conditioner called PURA D'OR Hair Thinning Therapy Conditioner. It has an ingredient in it called Copper Tripeptide-1 which has been shown to reduce hair loss and possibility even regrow it. Some people use it on their own, and some people combine it with minoxidil.

I use both the shampoo and conditioner daily. I combine the shampoo with another shampoo called Everclean. It has some Salicylic acid in it. This helps force the old skin to peel off and regenerate new skin, helping the follicles stay clean and free of debris. Dr. Lee who used to run minoxidil.com (before they f#$king FDA shut him down) sold a formula very similar to this. It was Nizoral and Salicyclic acid as a shampoo.

You can also look into applying azelaic acid nightly before bed. I see Amazon has a few products with azelaic acid in them, but they're a bit pricey, and I think hairlosstalk sells some cheaper. Here's one I found called NutraViv Hair Growth Serum. It contains: Purified water, alcohol, glycerin, azelaic acid, black cohosh, pantothenic acid, Japanese green tea extract, aloe, licorice extract, seabuckthorn berry and seed oil, grapefruit seed extract, and niacin.

You can also buy some topical spironolactone from Hairlosstalk. It's a greasy formula and it stinks, so I really don't like using it. Good ole Dr. Lee used to make it into a liquid that was much more easy to apply.

Finally, I take NOW Supplements, Prostate Health, Clinical Strength. It has tons of ingredients to help with hair loss including saw palmetto, beta sitosterol, Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica), Pumpkin Seed Oil and lots of other good stuff which will work internally to help slow hair loss.

Btw, if you want to check out Dr. Lee's old page, it's still the wayback machine and has some very good articles.

Hair Loss Myths
Some Journal Reports involving the various hair loss ingredients

Beyond that, the only rx drugs that can regrow hair are Rogaine/Minoxidil, which you have to apply daily for the rest of your life as well as Propecia (finasteride). However, I recently came across this thread entitled Ask somebody who's life is ruined by Propecia anything... so take that into consideration before deciding to take that.

I'm going to be starting PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy. They take your blood and put it through a centrifuge and try and get the growth factors in the blood to cause the hair to regrow. It's probably the closest thing to stem cell therapy you can do now.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone know why we are still not at a real hairloss cure? I remember like 10 years ago, the rumor was they’d find one in 10 years :/

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone know why we are still not at a real hairloss cure? I remember like 10 years ago, the rumor was they’d find one in 10 years :/
Because it is very complicated haha. Hair cloning is coming in the next 5-10 years for sure, trials have begun or starting soon I believe, but it will be very pricey for awhile. I think they were saying 300k when it comes out haha

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
They have stem cell therapy in the UK. That's pretty much a guaranteed hair regrowth regiment. Unfortunately, because we're so conservative in the US about aborted babies and sh!t, it will probably never get approved here.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My favorite for hair loss is a buzzer on the shortest setting. I screwed with minoxidil and its an oily pain in the ass mess, and never had any interest in Finasteride because of the horror stories. Once I just decided to buzz it all off, basically just shy of actually shaving with a razor, i felt so relieved and much more confident and now I just own it.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My favorite for hair loss is a buzzer on the shortest setting. I screwed with minoxidil and its an oily pain in the ass mess, and never had any interest in Finasteride because of the horror stories. Once I just decided to buzz it all off, basically just shy of actually shaving with a razor, i felt so relieved and much more confident and now I just own it.
So you threw in the towel without trying

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I said I tried minoxidil, toco-8 and the pura'dor shampoo and aside from mediocre results all I ended up with was an oily mess on my head from the minoxidil.. and after researching finasteride I wasn't willing to risk the side effects.. so no I didn't throw in the towel without trying.. the fact is that hairloss prevention and hair restoration don't have a great, side effect free solution yet. The best option seems to be implants or surgical options but it's not that important to me to go through that with the recovery.. idk try one of those laser hats or some **** man

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's my good ole hair loss post:

I recommend checking out https://www.hairlosstalk.com/

They have lots of good articles, a forum, feedback from member son various methods of what hair loss treatments work and what don't.

My hairline is starting to recede and I've been using a product called PURA D’OR Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo. It has lots of great ingredients that inhibit DHT production at the scalp, including saw palmetto, Pygem, Nettle extract, and they also include Nizoral (Ketoconazole) which has been shown to block DHT at the receptor site in the scalp. There is also biotin in it of course, which is another supplement you should be taking for hair loss (although the studies are scant).

They also make a very good conditioner called PURA D'OR Hair Thinning Therapy Conditioner. It has an ingredient in it called Copper Tripeptide-1 which has been shown to reduce hair loss and possibility even regrow it. Some people use it on their own, and some people combine it with minoxidil.

I use both the shampoo and conditioner daily. I combine the shampoo with another shampoo called Everclean. It has some Salicylic acid in it. This helps force the old skin to peel off and regenerate new skin, helping the follicles stay clean and free of debris. Dr. Lee who used to run minoxidil.com (before they f#$king FDA shut him down) sold a formula very similar to this. It was Nizoral and Salicyclic acid as a shampoo.

You can also look into applying azelaic acid nightly before bed. I see Amazon has a few products with azelaic acid in them, but they're a bit pricey, and I think hairlosstalk sells some cheaper. Here's one I found called NutraViv Hair Growth Serum. It contains: Purified water, alcohol, glycerin, azelaic acid, black cohosh, pantothenic acid, Japanese green tea extract, aloe, licorice extract, seabuckthorn berry and seed oil, grapefruit seed extract, and niacin.

You can also buy some topical spironolactone from Hairlosstalk. It's a greasy formula and it stinks, so I really don't like using it. Good ole Dr. Lee used to make it into a liquid that was much more easy to apply.

Finally, I take NOW Supplements, Prostate Health, Clinical Strength. It has tons of ingredients to help with hair loss including saw palmetto, beta sitosterol, Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica), Pumpkin Seed Oil and lots of other good stuff which will work internally to help slow hair loss.

Btw, if you want to check out Dr. Lee's old page, it's still the wayback machine and has some very good articles.

Hair Loss Myths
Some Journal Reports involving the various hair loss ingredients

Beyond that, the only rx drugs that can regrow hair are Rogaine/Minoxidil, which you have to apply daily for the rest of your life as well as Propecia (finasteride). However, I recently came across this thread entitled Ask somebody who's life is ruined by Propecia anything... so take that into consideration before deciding to take that.

I'm going to be starting PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy. They take your blood and put it through a centrifuge and try and get the growth factors in the blood to cause the hair to regrow. It's probably the closest thing to stem cell therapy you can do now.
is that plasma one expensive

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
is that plasma one expensive
Depends on your local docs. Mine is $600 a treatment. I had 1 treatment a month for 3 months, then I wait three months to see if the treatment is working. Then they either tell me it's working or say it's not working for me and stop it. But, I'm on TRT now and they said that the PRP can help reduce the shredding from the DHT. I'm also using Nizoral shampoo 2% which I highly recommend.

But, I've heard of PRP treatments going for as high as $1000 per treatment.