Gym changed, what a let down

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I live in a small town. Local gym renovated and changed out their old hammer strength and power racks and various other heavy-duty equipment for all pre core equipment. Pisses a lot of weightlifters off, it will be more of a fitness gym just like planet fitness.

Struggling to find options on what to do without driving 35 minutes to a legit gym. Anyone know best place to find and buy used gym equipment? The manager of the gym wouldnt sell me any of the equipment. He said it was already being sold to somewhere else.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry for your loss! I’ve been noticing a lot more gyms switch from the ol’ good stuff to cheaper, less ‘intimidating’ looking crap.
For example, crunch gym uses hoist and some of its decent but most sucks. It breaks easily, machines need maintenance often to keep them running smooth and not buckle…

I’d round up all the real lifters and cancel membership to send a message.

Scour Craigslist and I think Facebook has a used section?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@chainsaw Where are you located ?

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
I kind of had the reverse happen here. Local gym shut down during covid, reopened as a different gym. They got rid of a lot of their matrix stuff and got hammer strength lol.
Thats a tough situation; id try fb marketplace, or maybe google where to buy used equipment in your area? Also some popular websites that make power racks and other gym stuff have big sales throughout the year. I still have a rack, brand new in the box that I snagged in 2020 on black friday because I was afraid the gyms might shut back down

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
I was once a member of a World Gym and Planet Fitness bought it out. Almost all of the original equipment was removed and replaced with Planet Fitness garbage except a half rack squat station, a military press machine and 2 hack squat machines plus the db's over 80lbs were also removed.

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was once a member of a World Gym and Planet Fitness bought it out. Almost all of the original equipment was removed and replaced with Planet Fitness garbage except a half rack squat station, a military press machine and 2 hack squat machines plus the db's over 80lbs were also removed.
Same here. Tried to last as long as I could at planet but just ended up going to crunch.

DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
Same here. Tried to last as long as I could at planet but just ended up going to crunch.
I once went to a Crunch near my last job and it's not bad and a step up from PF in my opinion.

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I once went to a Crunch near my last job and it's not bad and a step up from PF in my opinion.
I have a few crunch around me…they all differ. Still much better than the purple and yellow. Not very many good gyms where I’m located in Massachusetts

lamarclark09

Awards
The gym near me just got a new hammer strength lol.
But yes you can look for this equipment by searching on google and it will show you some best options near your area.