GW-501516 the Next Big Thing??????

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been reading up on this stuff lately and am actually impressed with it.any thoughts on it or any user feedback on it?

I've read through a few logs and they seem to be amazing as is the info I've read on GW.

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading up on this stuff lately and am actually impressed with it.any thoughts on it or any user feedback on it?

I've read through a few logs and they seem to be amazing as is the info I've read on GW.
The gw-1516 that is being sold for cheap from a certain research chem company, is dosed about 1/100 of what is on the label. I found a legit source for it, but it was 1200 bucks per gram... Too pricey to run.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nvm that one might be legit cause it's $99 for 100mg. Putting 1g at about $1000, same ballpark

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established
$99 for 100mg is probably about right. It should be a yellow powder, so if yours is white, then it's probably not real. It's been speculated that you need at least 150mg / day for it to make any difference. For bodybuilding, it's pointless and counter-productive. For endurance athletes, it could be awesome, or it could be crap. Until someone takes a large dose for a couple of months, then we'll never know.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah i didn't buy any. i heard in other experiments that people run it at much less. i guess we'll see once it gets some exposure

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found it interesting wada made a speical way to detect this stuff so there must be something to it

I found this off of wiki

GW-501516
(also known as GW-501,516,GW1516 or GSK-516) is a PPAR***948; modulator compound being investigated for drug use by GlaxoSmithKline.[1][2] It activates the same pathways activated through exercise, including PPAR***948; and AMP-activated protein kinase. It is being investigated as a potential treatment for obesity, diabetes, dyslipidemia and cardiovascular disease. [3] [4] GW-501516 has a synergistic effect when combined with AICAR: the combination has been shown to significantly increase exercise endurance in animal studies more than either compound alone. [5][6]

GW-50156 regulates fat burning through a number of widespread mechanisms [7]; it increases glucose uptake in skeletal muscle tissue and increases muscle gene expression, especially genes involved in preferential lipid utilization.,[8][9] [10] This shift changes the body's metabolism to favor burning fat for energy instead of carbohydrates or muscle protein, potentially allowing clinical application for obese patients to lose fat effectively without experiencing muscle catabolism or the effects and satiety issues associated with low blood sugar. [11] GW-501516 also increases muscle mass, which improved glucose tolerance and reduced fat mass accumulation even in mice fed a very high fat diet, suggesting that GW-501516 may have a protective effect against obesity [12]

It has been demonstrated at oral doses of 5 mg a day to reverse metabolic abnormalities in obese men with pre-diabetic metabolic syndrome, most likely by stimulating fatty acid oxidation.[13] Treatments with GW-501516 have been shown to increase HDL cholesterol by up to 79% in rhesus monkeys and the compound is now undergoing Phase II trials to improve HDL cholesterol in humans. [14]

Concerns were raised prior to the 2008 Beijing Olympics that GW-501516 could be used by athletes as a performance enhancing drug which was not currently controlled by regulations or detected by standard tests. One of the main researchers from the study on enhanced endurance consequently developed a urine test to detect the drug, and made it available to the International Olympic Committee.[15] The World Anti-Doping Agency has also begun work on a test GW-501516 and other related PPAR***948; modulators.,[16] and they have been added to the prohibited list from 2009 onwards.[17] The compound has yet to be named a controlled or prohibited substance by any nation's drug enforcement or regulation agency. To date, no athlete is known to have tested positive for the substance, though the increase in endurance, muscle fiber performance, fat loss and metabolism suggests GW-501516 has the potential for ergogenic use and abuse.

this was one of the studies that peaked my interest

"GW501516" - Reduces fat & greatly produces slow twitch muscle

Mice which can run almost twice the distance of normal mice have been genetically engineered by US scientists.

"This is the first animal engineered for increased endurance," says Ronald Evans of the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, whose team created the mice.

But Evans adds that the work also suggests that drugs already in clinical development may, unintentionally, boost endurance. "The potential for this to be abused by athletes is real," he points out.

Pills that mimic the benefit of exercise could also help patients whose conditions prevent them from exercising and building muscle, such as people suffering from obesity. In fact, it was while studying genes involved in obesity and fat metabolism that Evans's team stumbled across how to make mice long distance runners.

The focus of their work was a protein called PPARdelta, known to play a role in promoting the burning of fat and fighting obesity.

In previous work, his team has shown that increasing the activity of PPARdelta in fat cells encourages cells to reduce their fat stores. In the body, however, the greatest consumer of fat is slow twitch muscle, the type of muscle that gives athletes endurance. The other major type of muscle is fast twitch which is powered mainly by sugar and is responsible for strength and rapid reaction.
Conditioned athletes

So Evans's team genetically-engineered mice to produce extra PPARdelta in their muscle. As expected, when these engineered mice and control mice were put on a high fat diet for 97 days, the engineered mice experience only one-third of the weight gain that controls did.

But to the researchers' surprise, increasing PPARdelta also had a dramatic effect on the muscle composition itself: it doubled the amount of slow twitch muscle.

"These mice are genetically in better shape. They behave like conditioned athletes," says Evans. When tested, the marathon mice were able to run 92 per cent longer than normal controls.

It is unclear whether boosting PPARdelta levels later in life - or in people - would similarly enhance endurance. But, by coincidence, a drug called GW501516 which activates PPARdelta directly - is being clinically tested as a treatment to lower blood cholesterol and fat by the pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline.

Evans has already shown the new drug causes many of the same genetic changes in muscle cells triggered by increasing levels of PPARdelta protein.
Therapeutic purposes

The question that remains is whether the drug alone will be enough to increase endurance "I suspect that animals training with the drug will increase endurance more rapidly," predicts Evans.

Evans says he has no affiliation with GlaxoSmithKline. And the company has so far been able to provide any comment on the work.

Farnaz Khadem, a spokesperson for the World Anti-Doping Agency, which strives to make sporting competitions drug-free, says she would not be surprised if cheating athletes would try taking GW501516, if it becomes available.

"Most doping involves a substance developed for therapeutic purposes being used for a sports purpose," she says. "Medical science is moving forward, which is good. But it also means we've got to be on our toes."

(source: GM 'marathon' mice break distance records - 23 August 2004 - New Scientist )

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a thread on Ology that makes this stuff soiund pretty impressive. But its hard to trust anyone these days LOL

The report was lots of fat loss with nio work and no sides

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
There is a thread on Ology that makes this stuff soiund pretty impressive. But its hard to trust anyone these days LOL

The report was lots of fat loss with nio work and no sides
that's one of the places I saw it.

I need to shed some more fat

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha ;)

I'd hold off man. Not much out there on this stuff yet. Let somebody else be the guiney pig.

For what it's worth, TTA, Fish Oils and Sesamin are PPAR-alpha agonists so load up on these and you'll get "some" fat loss and/or binge protection.

TTA is a weird animal though due to its fat-soluble nature and the body's ability to hang onto it. Ive read other boards claiming the potential risks associated with this mechanism of TTA.

CLA is a PPAR-gamma antagonist I think and I think Fish oil (DHA conternt) has gamma agonistic activity (bad).

Moral of the story? Use in moderation, lower carbs and do cardio! :p

RUNNER 67

Awards
i used almost an entire bottle and was not impressed. if it was legit....no one really knows for sure. didnt feel any extra ease doing cardio, didnt feel like i lost anymore fat than what i normally would during a diet phase, and felt like **** on it. worst heartburn ever. maybe it just was poor quality, but if it was legit, i wouldnt use it again.

musclemando

Awards
Thought I should update this thread..on wikipedia it states that it caused cancers in rodents in multiple organs. The WADA issued a drug alert and GlaxoSmithKline has terminated their studies on it and have stated that they will not be using it for anything. An article on newscientist has also been published saying this. In addition, they are unsure of its cancerous effects on humans since the trials were so short and the dosage was small (cancers in rodents were reported when administered large doses i think. makes sense though, too much of anything will be bad). Anyways to each their own, maybe its safe at 5-10mg a day...aaaaaand maybe its not. You have your warning, now go do with it what you will.

Riskyb

Awards
Seen people on Ology and Elite raving about this stuff...

musclemando

Awards
Was curious about taking this stuff myself but now with the whole cancer scare im jumping off the wagon on this one.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pardon my ignorance but what is Ology? Where to find it?

SeniorXJ

Awards
The gw-1516 that is being sold for cheap from a certain research chem company, is dosed about 1/100 of what is on the label. I found a legit source for it, but it was 1200 bucks per gram... Too pricey to run.
GWP??? ($39.99, 5mg per ML 60ML)