Guanidinopropionic acid bad??

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I realized this ingredient was in many preworkouts and creatine products in the past. I know right now that Hi-Tech has this ingredient in their phosphagen product, other than that dont see it in many products. Looking up this ingredient it seems that it negates the benefits of creatine and is more of an endurance like supplement rather than for strength/power.

Is there are reason why a company would put Guanidinopropionic acidi in a product that already has creatine in it when it negates creatine levels in the body? Also anyone here have experience with Guanidinopropionic acid? Only product with guanidinpropionic acid I ran before was NO Xplode but I heard it only had small traces of it.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
its an analogue of (1) creatine that (2) improves blood sugar levels. it could be in there for either reason.. I feel like you are thinking; because it lowers blood sugar its making the other creatine(s) not work? I don't see an issue in lower blood sugar. its rare anyone is spiking insulin intentionally these days as part of their creatine routine. most people just throw back 3-5g per day at no particular time. with or without extra carbs.. in modern research it seems that creatine works no matter how its done.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its an analogue of (1) creatine that (2) improves blood sugar levels. it could be in there for either reason.. I feel like you are thinking; because it lowers blood sugar its making the other creatine(s) not work? I don't see an issue in lower blood sugar. its rare anyone is spiking insulin intentionally these days as part of their creatine routine. most people just throw back 3-5g per day at no particular time. with or without extra carbs.. in modern research it seems that creatine works no matter how its done.
This is what I read about guadnidinopropionic and creatine; it basically reduces creatine
The primary outcome of the review was the effect of GPA on energy metabolism, function, and morphology of tissues "with high and fluctuating energy demands" (Oudman. 2013) - this includes the obvious,...
  • skeletal muscle, where it reduces creatine, phosphocreatine, total creatine, and ATP by 66.1%, 79.7%, 86.7% , and 38.8%, blunted the total creatine kinase activity (-28.6%), but increased the intra-mitochondrial creatine recycling (CK activity) by 200%, reduced the activity of glycolytic enzymes (phosphorylase -38.8%, lactate dehydrogenase -16.2%), increased AMPK expression by 45% and AMPK mRNA by 20%, promoted GLUT-4 expression (+45% in slow-, +33% in fast twitch fibers) and subsequently doubled muscle glycogen content, while decreasing blood glucose (-5%) and insulin levels (-27% in non-diabetic animals), improved endurance during non-/light weight bearing exercises and hampered it during heavier exercise, doubled mitochondrial DNA (evidence for the shift towards an oxidative muscle type), and decreased total and relative muscle weight by 19% and 10% respectively;
  • heart muscle, where similar decreases in creatine, phosphocreatine, total creatine, and ATP occurred and GPA decreased the survival rates after myocardial infarction by ~50%
but also the vascular musculature, where no significant effects were observed, in the central nervous system and the brain, where GPA reduced the creatine concentration (brain), doubled the adenylate kinase and succinate dehydrogenase activity (both are involved in energy reallocation), increased the risk of seizures, but showed potentially protective effects against neurodegenerative diseases. Furthermore the scientists report that GPA reduced creatine uptake in the kidney, reduced the body temperature and increased the amount of BAT (+3.4%, in rodents!). And last, but certainly not least, GPA delayed the development of mammary gland tumors in a rodent model (cf. Chira. 1995; Metzner. 2009)