Ground cocoa as an alternative to coffee with theobromine and epicatechin

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Hey everyone, I just wanted to mention something I've been doing recently. I don't take preworkout stim formulations anymore, but I do drink coffee. I use a non-heated coffee maker found on Amazon where you just pour hot water over a filter which drips into the coffee pot (supposedly preserves coffee essential oils).

At my vitamin store recently I found ground cocoa beans that you can drink like coffee. It has about 300mg of Theobromine (stimulant with some fat loss benefits) per serving and I assume some amount of epicatechin as well given dark chocolate is a primary source of epicatechin (https://blog.priceplow.com/epicatechin ). Cocoa is also high in other antioxidants and other beneficial things.

Anyway, I drink it alone or mix it with coffee (because its low caffeine), and I think I'm getting some good benefits in terms of staying lean, and preworkout energy, and possibly getting some epicatechin as well.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Where is the best place to buy epicatechin in bulk.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey everyone, I just wanted to mention something I've been doing recently. I don't take preworkout stim formulations anymore, but I do drink coffee. I use a non-heated coffee maker found on Amazon where you just pour hot water over a filter which drips into the coffee pot (supposedly preserves coffee essential oils).

At my vitamin store recently I found ground cocoa beans that you can drink like coffee. It has about 300mg of Theobromine (stimulant with some fat loss benefits) per serving and I assume some amount of epicatechin as well given dark chocolate is a primary source of epicatechin (https://blog.priceplow.com/epicatechin ). Cocoa is also high in other antioxidants and other beneficial things.

Anyway, I drink it alone or mix it with coffee (because its low caffeine), and I think I'm getting some good benefits in terms of staying lean, and preworkout energy, and possibly getting some epicatechin as well.
The amount of epicathechin in cocoa is a small % by volume. It is a good health compound found in cocoa though.

In order to properly extract coffee beans when making coffee, you need water that is around 200-205 degrees farenheit. Below that and you will preserve the oils IN THE BEAN...but you won't have much in your drink.

Hersheys cocoa powder is about a good of a source of cocoa as you can get. You won't find a more reputable company and there have been test that are available online showing that Hersheys is higher in almost all of the polytheism, flavonoids, etc. Than any other brand. Plus, it is highly available and cheap at most local grocery stores (even cheaper at BJs).

I normally put about 20-30 grams into my coffee every morning with coconut oil and sometimes protein powder. The stuff is very healthy...but I wouldn't expect much in the way of gains.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
FYI on Cocoa: (and this has been talked about on here before, but it just peeters out) - Cacao plants concentrate the crap out of the heavy metals found in the soil. There are *for pay* reports out there listing the different Cadmium levels found in Cacao. Unfortunately, the info isn't easy to find for free. I have been able to tease out (from various podcasts) however, that Hershey's tested out at about 4.x Parts Per B(M?)illion Cadmium. I switched to a company on Amazon that actually listed what they tested out at - 1.x PPB. Called HealthWorks Cacao (Cocoa). Just an FYI.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I also believe that there are cofactors that will balance out the effects of Epicatechin that are present in the beans. Nature doesn't often give us something with too much of anything that will have an effect. It's usually balanced by other factors.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Can't give up my coffee.......................SO delicious

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
FYI on Cocoa: (and this has been talked about on here before, but it just peeters out) - Cacao plants concentrate the crap out of the heavy metals found in the soil. There are *for pay* reports out there listing the different Cadmium levels found in Cacao. Unfortunately, the info isn't easy to find for free. I have been able to tease out (from various podcasts) however, that Hershey's tested out at about 4.x Parts Per B(M?)illion Cadmium. I switched to a company on Amazon that actually listed what they tested out at - 1.x PPB. Called HealthWorks Cacao (Cocoa). Just an FYI.
I knew you'd have a quality angle to add here. Now I have to look into that - I've been using Hershey's for a while. Maybe this is why I'm so retarded now?

I also believe that there are cofactors that will balance out the effects of Epicatechin that are present in the beans. Nature doesn't often give us something with too much of anything that will have an effect. It's usually balanced by other factors.
Balance out the effects from a muscle building standpoint? Or from a health standpoint? I think the epicatechin in cocoa is almost non-existant TBH. It's not going to build muscle, and you are probably right that other factors may counter the muscle building effects.

From a health perspective, I think the overall mix found in cocoa is hard to beat and should work well together.

phollet

Awards
I read on examine that 30g of +85% pure dark chocolate has around 75mg. That is impressive. Has anyone got some experience or more data?

I read that on" Does dark chocolate’s epicatechin content promote muscle growth?"