Greasing The Groove (GtG) and other Soviet based methods -

PHOTOSnFIBERS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I wanted to discuss a few different methods and how they may compare to some popular training that is more western based. Specifically GtG, step loading, and variable load method which i have been researching from the Soviet programs. The counterparts i wanted to mention are 5/3/1, as well as the Texas method. And feel free to bring up any others you find deserving of comparison (Bulgarian method for example).

For anybody who isn't familiar with them, here is a very brief description of the soviet programs as i understand them but plz google them for more info i you need to, and this is only what i have found so far so i welcome any added info you may have.

GtG is the most non-traditional system, calling for multiple sets of a movement, performed every day and spaced at least 15 minutes apart. This could be for example, doing a set of bench press every 2 hours, every day, so perhaps a total of 7 sets per day spaced evenly apart.

The step loading program (also referred to as constant weight training) requires you to do a specific load/volume that is only somewhat difficult and stick with that for weeks or months. Once that weight/reps becomes easy, you jump up maybe 20lbs and repeat. This might look like a typical 5x5 bench routine, except you are using a weight you can do 10 or 12 times, yet you only do 5. Every set, every workout, for weeks or months if need be, same weight and reps. Both of the above programs call for a set load and reps with no variation until and only when neural adaptations reach a threshold, then you bump the weight and start again.

The third method i mention is very different, variable load training. This program calls for constant zig zagging of both volume and loads. As far as i can tell it's based on 3 basic rules. The first rule they call the Delta 20 principle, it states that every workout must have loads and volume change by at least 20%, up or down. For example if you bench 200lbs this workout, your next you are either doing 240lbs+ or under 160lbs. Total tonnage must also change by at least 20%.

The 2nd "rule" of the Variable load method is the load % distribution. This states that you only do about 10% of your volume at 90+% of your 1rm (so really heavy ****), and 10% volume at 60% and under of your 1rm (high rep work). Your average loading will total around 75% of your 1rm and at least half of the set volume will be between 70% and 80% of your 1rm. What is not clear is what "volume" is defined as. Is that total sets, or reps, or tonnage? Im still looking to clarify that part.

The last rule, which also applies to all 3 methods mentioned, is that you never exceed 50% of your rep max. So if you are doing a set with 75% of your 1rm (which means you should be able to hit about 10 reps at failure), you stop at about 5 reps. In other words, no set should be taken past halfway to failure. Further more, lighter weight, under 60% of 1rm, shouldn't be taken past 1/3 of your rep max (a set of 25 should instead be stopped at rep 8 or 9).

Im just curious if anybody has tried any of these, heard of these, or has any info/insight on them. Even better, if you have, how do they compare to the more popular western programs like 5/3/1?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I skimmed this. You are asking the wrong questions. There is no A is better then B as a blanket option. I would start off by learning what makes a program work. Then learn how to apply these principles to your goals, lifestyle, recovery ability, and time constraints. I would get the Scientific Principles of Strength Training, The Art of Lifting, The Science of Lifting, Recovering From Training, and How Much Should I Train? as books to read first. I would then read all you can by RP and RTS from their free materials. Once you do all that I am sure you will answer your own programming questions, like 99% of them.

I have not tried any of these "methods".

GtG seems impractical from a time perspective for most people. You are having to lift multiple times per day and warm up ect. High frequency submax training for key lifts deff works for technique development as evidenced by the Norwegian frequency project. Other obvious draw backs are you cant get too close to failure or do too much volume per any session and you are loading joint patterns more often and for some overuse issues may arise or the training may just be boring and adherence will be low.

Step loading is nothing special. As we training and adapt you would hold that the RPE for a given load decreases overtime, this is assuming fatigue is being managed. I think most can take advantage of progressive overload on a shorter time scale. If a weight is RPE 8 and goes to 6, you would need to increase load or reps to get it back to RPE 8 to get the desired training effect again. This all depends on the outcome goals of said program as well. This should always be happening to some degree regardless.

Zig zag is simply a method to manage fatigue on micro and macro levels to allow lifters to lift between 75-85% on systemically fatiguing lifts to get the most high quality technical work in. There are many ways to manage fatigue and this method is just one of those.

None of these are worth comparing to a "program" as you do not understand principles. I tried to distil some for you above. Why not figure out what your:

1: goals are
2: time constraints
3: personal preferences are for adherence and belief in the program
4: recovery abilities and work capacity and all factors affecting these
5: injury history

These need to be identified then you can select the proper layout, principles, and specifics to achieve your goals. No stock program will do this for you and at best a stock program can overlap with many of your answers to the above 5 areas and that would be best for you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 1