Good dumbbell training program for push exercises? Chest, Shoulders Triceps

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Due to an injury cannot use the barbell or go heavy for some time going forward. Able to use DBs. with moderate weight.
Besides substituting chest, overhead, incline, decline with DBs. + bench flys and skull crushers. What is a good routine for chest, shoulders tricep(pushing exercises) using only dumb bells?

FYI injured my thumb joint and the larger diameter of a barbell impacts the joint where the DB is much narrower diameter and does not engage the thumb joint. At least in my hand it does not.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Incline or Decline DB Bench
Incline/Flat/Decline DB Flies
Stretch Pushups

DB Lateral // Front Lateral
Rear Delt Swings with DB
SpiderCrawls with Bands

DB Floor Press
DB Tricep Extension
Overhead DB Extension
Close Grip Push-ups

Even if you can get some bands, you can replicate and press or lateral with a band.
The same goes with a pushdown, overhead tricep extension or banded push-ups or close grip push-ups

Ayegee1503

Ayegee1503

Awards
Incline or Decline DB Bench
Incline/Flat/Decline DB Flies
Stretch Pushups

DB Lateral // Front Lateral
Rear Delt Swings with DB
SpiderCrawls with Bands

DB Floor Press
DB Tricep Extension
Overhead DB Extension
Close Grip Push-ups

Even if you can get some bands, you can replicate and press or lateral with a band.
The same goes with a pushdown, overhead tricep extension or banded push-ups or close grip push-ups
I like that routine currently all I have is dumbbells a straight bar and a in line bench so I have to doc the best I can with the limited supplies I have ... damn closed gyms In L.A.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FYI, 4 weeks in and I find DBs only to be much more taxing than when I did BB.
Benefit is no pain in my thumb.
Getting heavy DBs into position requires considerable strategising vs. a BB setup for pickup.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
FYI, 4 weeks in and I find DBs only to be much more taxing than when I did BB.
Benefit is no pain in my thumb.
Getting heavy DBs into position requires considerable strategising vs. a BB setup for pickup.
I can get 120’s up with no spot on DB flat bench. Anything above that and I need a spot to help me get out of the hole by grabbing me by my elbows and pushing up. If I go to 140’s, I get one person on each side and hand the to me as I’m on my back and arms extended or if I’m feeling really good I’ll have them put them on my thighs and I’ll go back with them like normal and push me out of the hole by my elbows. I very rarely do BB bench anymore.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can get 120’s up with no spot on DB flat bench. Anything above that and I need a spot to help me get out of the hole by grabbing me by my elbows and pushing up. If I go to 140’s, I get one person on each side and hand the to me as I’m on my back and arms extended or if I’m feeling really good I’ll have them put them on my thighs and I’ll go back with them like normal and push me out of the hole by my elbows. I very rarely do BB bench anymore.
I noticed my injured thumb during the rotation into the palms up position after hoisting them off the floor, (palm down).

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I noticed my injured thumb during the rotation into the palms up position after hoisting them off the floor, (palm down).
Gotcha. Yeah I can see how that would be an issue, especially if you don’t have someone to hand them to you.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To update this. I tried barbell push yesterday- overhead, flat and incline bench and all went well. So back to BB. The OTCs did the trick. Loads of prayer too.