Glycerol - for pumps?

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
anyone have any experience in using glycerol to enhance their workouts and for producing better pumps. anyone have any thougths on this?

here's an article i found on the subject.

Description

Glycerol is a liquid alcohol most commonly found in the diet as a component of fat or triglycerides. The glycerol serves as the backbone onto which fatty acid molecules are attached. Commercial preparation of glycerol can be obtained by hydrolysis (removal) of the fatty acids from the glycerol molecule.

Claims

Increase blood volume
Enhanced temperature regulation
Improved exercise performance in the heat

Theory

Glycerol is proposed to help "hyperhydrate" the body by increasing blood volume levels and helping to delay dehydration.

Scientific Support

At least a few studies support the theory that glycerol added to fluids will increase the hydration compared to drinking fluid alone (without glycerol added). Following glycerol consumption, heart rate and body core temperature are lower during exercise in the heat, suggesting an ergogenic (performance enhancing) effect. In long duration activities, a larger supply of stored water may lead to a delay in dehydration and exhaustion.

Safety

Straight (undiluted) glycerin is not recommended for internal consumption, but no significant adverse side effects are associated with glycerin diluted with fluids (as noted above). In some subjects, glycerol consumption may lead to headaches or nausea. Individuals in whom increased blood volume may be undesirable, including conditions such as pregnancy, high blood pressure, diabetes and kidney disease, should avoid glycerol supplementation.

Value For endurance athletes engaged in strenuous training or competition in hot environments, consumption of glycerol containing beverages may help hydrate tissues, increase blood volume and delay fatigue and exhaustion associated with dehydration.

Dosage Glycerol dosage relates to the amount of total body water – so bigger people have more body water and require more glycerol to obtain an effect. Approximately 1 gram of glycerin per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight is diluted in 20-25 milliliters of liquid. A 70 kg man (154 lbs), therefore, would need 70 grams of glycerin diluted in 1400-1750 ml of fluid (about 1-2 liters of fluid). The mixture should be consumed slowly over the course of 1-2 hours prior to exercise in the heat.

References 1. Arnall DA, Goforth HW Jr. Failure to reduce body water loss in cold-water immersion by glycerol ingestion. Undersea Hyperb Med. 1993 Dec;20(4):309-20. 2. Boulay MR, Song TM, Serresse O, Theriault G, Simoneau JA, Bouchard C. Changes in plasma electrolytes and muscle substrates during short-term maximal exercise in humans. Can J Appl Physiol. 1995 Mar;20(1):89-101. 3. Inder WJ, Swanney MP, Donald RA, Prickett TC, Hellemans J. The effect of glycerol and desmopressin on exercise performance and hydration in triathletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998 Aug;30(8):1263-9. 4. Jimenez C, Melin B, Koulmann N, Allevard AM, Launay JC, Savourey G. Plasma volume changes during and after acute variations of body hydration level in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1999 Jun;80(1):1-8. 5. Meyer LG, Horrigan DJ Jr, Lotz WG. Effects of three hydration beverages on exercise performance during 60 hours of heat exposure. Aviat Space Environ Med. 1995 Nov;66(11):1052-7. 6. Mitchell JB, Braun WA, Pizza FX, Forrest M. Pre-exercise carbohydrate and fluid ingestion: influence of glycemic response on 10-km treadmill running performance in the heat. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2000 Mar;40(1):41-50. 7. Montner P, Stark DM, Riedesel ML, Murata G, Robergs R, Timms M, Chick TW. Pre-exercise glycerol hydration improves cycling endurance time. Int J Sports Med. 1996 Jan;17(1):27-33. 8. Wagner DR. Hyperhydrating with glycerol: implications for athletic performance. J Am Diet Assoc. 1999 Feb;99(2):207-12.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to bump this because I would like to hear more also.

I've heard it was mainly used for pumps, if so, then I will spend my money elsewhere.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
No one wants to take a gandar on this? ? ?

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
I think there are a few companies that sell products containing gylcerol monostearate and is marketed for better pumps. How GMS compares to Glycerol i have no clue.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I tried GMS, all I got was a burning sphincter. I don't think mY body processed it well.

Glycerol, the liquid, has been used for YEARS by bodybuilders and endurance athletes to super-hydrate. It's not for chronic use, but more of a one time pre-contest or athletic event supplement.

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Theres a good bit of it in Nxcares new Plasmavol. It lists it as glycerol(not GMS). Like I stated in the other thread, Im sure Nxcare will send us 2 free bottles so Ill post some feedback whenever that happens.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I sip it during workout with EAA and Poweraid honestly I can't tell whether or not it does anything but perhaps I can hold more water. I have heard it can help you pass a drug test, just saying.

thicketman

thicketman

Awards
I've used NOW 100% Vegetable Glycerine and Controlled Labs Glycergrow (primary ingredient = glycerol monostearate). They DEFINITELY provide some intense pumps.

I know that Omega Cre-Ethyl Thunder contains GMS and I believe Gaspari's Size ON does as well.

Hope this helps. There are lots of discussions/debates on this very topic at BB.com.

Last edited:
haroldjg

haroldjg

Awards
  • Established
I recently started taking glycerol, it is absolutley amazing! It's so cheap, and gives insane pumps! My skin is also much smoother, better complexion. I have noticed that my body temperature stays much more stable. I am a person that sweats a lot in the gym, but while using glycerine I barely even sweat a drop. My vascularity is much more intense, as well my pumps are maintained all day. I would deffinately recommend trying this product. Just to emphsize the pump intensity, after bicepts my muscles literally fealt like rocks! I know that this all sounds crazy, but just try it.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
I recently started taking glycerol, it is absolutley amazing! It's so cheap, and gives insane pumps! My skin is also much smoother, better complexion. I have noticed that my body temperature stays much more stable. I am a person that sweats a lot in the gym, but while using glycerine I barely even sweat a drop. My vascularity is much more intense, as well my pumps are maintained all day. I would deffinately recommend trying this product. Just to emphsize the pump intensity, after bicepts my muscles literally fealt like rocks! I know that this all sounds crazy, but just try it.
Did you ever consider the possibility that you're a GOLEM and your evil middle eastern master made you out of stone? Just kidding, I had to use the word golem today somewhere(my evil middle eastern master told me to)

haroldjg

haroldjg

Awards
  • Established
Did you ever consider the possibility that you're a GOLEM and your evil middle eastern master made you out of stone? Just kidding, I had to use the word golem today somewhere(my evil middle eastern master told me to)
AHHHHHH CRAP!!! I Honestly forgot about that. Sorry!

Cool

Cool

Awards
  • Established
Very funny, cause it's true:icon_lol:

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I tried to start my own thread, but no one responded, so Ill revive this one. Should GMS do the same thing as the glycerol Harld is talking about?

carbcrazy

carbcrazy

Banned
Awards
they just replaced the GMS in flashover with glycine...

carbcrazy

carbcrazy

Banned
Awards
idk im down for more info though because i just recieved my flashover and it says glycine on it...