Glucosamine Reduces Risk of Death, as Much as Exercise?

betapen

Awards
the paper says the are unable to control for other supplements the participants have been taking, a red flag.
Guess its a wait and see to see if others can replicate the results.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Interesting information.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would say that active people are far more likely to take glucosamine as a supplement than those who are inactive. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that very few inactive folks would have a need for it. I don't doubt that it helps, but there are many other factors that are contributing here.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would say that active people are far more likely to take glucosamine as a supplement than those who are inactive. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that very few inactive folks would have a need for it. I don't doubt that it helps, but there are many other factors that are contributing here.
Maybe...
I hope we get to find out.

It doesn't seem probable at this point that anyone chose to read the 2 sentences of commentary that I wrote, when I posted this.

#readingishard

LOL

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I read the entire thing. It's not possible to draw anything conclusive from this. I've been taking it for several years and will continue to do so.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I read the entire thing. It's not possible to draw anything conclusive from this. I've been taking it for several years and will continue to do so.
I pretty much said the same thing at the very top. ^^

... With one possible difference.... I think this type of finding Does Necessitate further investigation.
It is a hopeful scenario, even if one wants to poo-poo findings already provided.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think most people are unaware that almost ALL medical discoveries first present themselves with Exactly This type of evidence.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think most people are unaware that almost ALL medical discoveries first present themselves with Exactly This type of evidence.
There would be no reason to do this sort of study if there weren't already some anecdotal evidence to support it. They'd never get the funding/approval.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My point was.... People are acting like this particular Study (already done) means nothing.

When that is clearly not true.
It means exactly the same thing as almost every other initial study ever done.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think it merits investigation in an animal model. Even that takes resources beyond my means, though. 😔

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Background: Limited previous studies in the United Kingdom or a single US state have demonstrated
an association between intake of glucosamine/chondroitin and mortality. This study sought to investigate
the association between regular consumption of glucosamine/chondroitin and overall and cardiovascular
(CVD) mortality in a national sample of US adults.
Methods: Combined data from 16,686 participants in National Health and Nutrition Examination
Survey 1999 to 2010, merged with the 2015 Public-use Linked Mortality File. Cox proportional hazards
models were conducted for both CVD and all-cause mortality.
Results: In the study sample, there were 658 (3.94%) participants who had been taking glucosamine/
chondroitin for a year or longer. During followup (median, 107 months), there were 3366 total deaths
(20.17%); 674 (20.02%) were due to CVD. Respondents taking glucosamine/chondroitin were less likely to
have CVD mortality (hazard ratio [HR]= 0.51; 95% CI, 0.28-0.92). After controlling for age, use was associated
with a 39% reduction in all-cause (HR = 0.61; 95% CI, 0.49–0.77) and 65% reduction (HR= 0.35; 95%
CI, 0.20–0.61) in CVD mortality. Multivariable-adjusted HR showed that the association was maintained after
adjustment for age, sex, race, education, smoking status, and physical activity (all-cause mortality,
HR =0.73; 95% CI, 0.57–0.93; CVD mortality, HR= 0.42; 95% CI, 0.23–0.75).
Conclusions: Regular intake of glucosamine/chondroitin is associated with lower all-cause and
CVD mortality in a national US cohort and the findings are consistent with previous studies in other
populations. Prospective studies to confirm the link may be warranted. ( J Am Board Fam Med
2020;33:842–847.)
It seems like glucosamine has some cardiovascular protecting activity, and that's what they were looking at in the study and what they presumed was being caused for the lack of death. Glucosamine is a relatively cheap supplement.

I have my 78 year old father on Labrada Labs Elastic Joint.
So, I recommend Labrada Elastijoint for people who have joint issues. It has 5g of hydrolyzed gelatin, 2g of MSM, 1.5g of Glucosamine, and 1.2g of chondroitin. Those are all in a more than 1g dose of each which has been shown in studies to benefit joints. I have my 76 year old father take it and he swears by it. He had to have rotator cuff surgery, but since he's been using ElastiJoint, he's been pain free and has no problems. It's a great formula and I highly recommend it.

However, if you're using it for Life Extension purposes, you might be a bit disappointed unless you have CVD. Life Extension did a brief write up on this study and had the following to say:

An article published online on April 21, 2010 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed the discovery of University of Washington School of Public Health and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center scientists of a lower risk of death from all causes among users of the arthritis supplements chondroitin and glucosamine over an average 5 year follow-up period. While previous research by the team, summarized in the July 24, 2009 issue of Life Extension Update, sought to determine the impact of multivitamins and vitamins C and E on mortality, the current investigation focused on the effect of less common supplements.

The study included 77,673 men and women between the ages of 50 and 76 who resided in western Washington. Dietary supplement use during the 10 years prior to enrollment was documented in questionnaires completed by all participants.

Over an average 5 years of follow-up, 3,577 deaths occurred. While none of the supplements evaluated in the study, which included individual B vitamins, magnesium, fiber and other supplements, were associated with an increased risk of dying over follow-up, adjusted analysis confirmed an association between the use of glucosamine and chondroitin with reduced risk. Glucosamine use that was categorized as low, as determined by infrequent or short duration of use, was associated with an 8 percent lower risk of dying, and high use with a 17 percent lower risk, while low and high use of chondroitin were associated with 12 and 17 percent reductions. A 17 percent lower adjusted risk of mortality was also observed for those whose use of fish oil was categorized as high, however, the researchers did not consider the finding statistically significant.

In their discussion, the authors remark that chondroitin and glucosamine may inhibit nuclear transcription factor kappa-beta (NF-kB) dependent pathways, and that abnormal regulation of NF-kB is associated with cancer and inflammatory diseases. They note that other antiinflammatory agents have been associated with reduced mortality; for example, aspirin use was associated with an 18 percent reduction in deaths in the Iowa Women's study. "Glucosamine and chondroitin may have antiinflammatory properties, and future studies that evaluate risk of death separately for those diseases with and without a chronic inflammatory cause, and with longer durations of follow-up and possibly functional studies, may increase our understanding of any potential benefit of glucosamine- and chondroitin-supplement use," they conclude.
Source: https://www.lifeextension.com/newsletter/2010/5/supplementation-glucosamine-chondroitin-lower-mortality

UNX

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think it merits investigation in an animal model. Even that takes resources beyond my means, though. 😔
Even a prospective study in humans could be possible, I don't see big ethical implications given the nature of glucosamine. But an animal model is quicker and better to remove other variables.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Even a prospective study in humans could be possible, I don't see big ethical implications given the nature of glucosamine. But an animal model is quicker and better to remove other variables.
Yeah, I think when it comes to increasing lifespan, you need some animal data to clear up all those variables and be more time-effective.

Cohort studies in humans are important too but as we've seen disaggregating the data can be near impossible and worse yet, can point to different results when different methods are applied.

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My point was.... People are acting like this particular Study (already done) means nothing.

When that is clearly not true.
It means exactly the same thing as almost every other initial study ever done.
Are you in PCT? Taking clomid? I’m a good hugger

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Not to detract from the article, but my inner smart-ass laughed at the title like "Well I take glucosamine and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die"