Ginkgo biloba and myostatin

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From ergo-log. A popular Chinese herb but I had no idea it could be a myostatin inhibitor. May be a nice add on to an epicat product?

Blocking myostatin
The reason that the French research was published in such a prestigious scientific journal as PLoS One is that the researchers used genomics technology to measure the activity of tens of thousands of genes in the DNA of the muscle cells. That's how they discovered that the ginkgo supplement had an effect on 1015 of those genes.

The most important of those genes were connected to the production of muscle tissue, such as the genes for follistatin, follistatin related protein, activin receptor type I, embryonic myosin heavy chain and ryanodine receptor 3, and they all became more active. Other genes also reacted to the ginkgo: some got the muscle cells to burn more fatty acids, others reduced the amount of free radicals that the mitochondria in the muscle cells produced, and yet others made the muscle cells use less glucose as a source of energy.

The ginkgo also made the gene for tenascin C work twice as hard as normal. Tenascin C is a molecule found in muscle attachments. It's a component of collagen I and II. So gingko not only increases muscle mass and strength, but also strengthens the muscle attachments.