Getting sponsored for police academy?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Hello all, I've decided that I'm going to become a law enforcement officer after much thought. Currently I'm enrolled in college going towards my phD in economics, but before I went to college I was training for SEAL. I decided against that, as I'm a family type of man and being that far from family would of been difficult. That is why I thought of becoming an law enforcement officer, as I'd be able to help people and still be close to my family.

Now the issue is, I still want to continue with my college, though financially supporting both college and the academy will be tough, not impossible. I've heard some agencies will sponsor you and pay for school and possibly put you on payroll, in exchange for that you must work for that department for certain time. So how should I contact departments about this? Like what should I write in my letter to make me look good?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds awesome!
My brother's gf went into the police academy but she didn't get sponsored. My cousin went and I believe she did. I thought that they would be like corrections where you get paid to train. I'll have to ask my cousin how she did it.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Sounds awesome! My brother's gf went into the police academy but she didn't get sponsored. My cousin went and I believe she did. I thought that they would be like corrections where you get paid to train. I'll have to ask my cousin how she did it.
I can self sponsor, but I don't want to go through that and not get hired by an agency. They probably do, though some departments also take care of police academy for patrol.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can self sponsor, but I don't want to go through that and not get hired by an agency. They probably do, though some departments also take care of police academy for patrol.
I just talked to her and she just said for you to go into the agency and ask if they're accepting anyone for sponsorship, then write them a letter and go from there.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I just talked to her and she just said for you to go into the agency and ask if they're accepting anyone for sponsorship, then write them a letter and go from there.
Good to know thanks! Trying to get a spot in either treasure coast, west palm, or key west so might make a road trip out of it hah.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Good luck brother. It's awesome to see people going after their dreams!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just talked to a recruiter tonight. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. He asked me out of the blues!

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Hello all, I've decided that I'm going to become a law enforcement officer after much thought. Currently I'm enrolled in college going towards my phD in economics, but before I went to college I was training for SEAL. I decided against that, as I'm a family type of man and being that far from family would of been difficult. That is why I thought of becoming an law enforcement officer, as I'd be able to help people and still be close to my family.

Now the issue is, I still want to continue with my college, though financially supporting both college and the academy will be tough, not impossible. I've heard some agencies will sponsor you and pay for school and possibly put you on payroll, in exchange for that you must work for that department for certain time. So how should I contact departments about this? Like what should I write in my letter to make me look good?
Usually contacting a department that is hiring for a new officer is a good place to start. I find it hard to believe any agency will pay for your academy if you don't sign a contract to work for them.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I just talked to a recruiter tonight. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. He asked me out of the blues!
Oh nice nice kind of random but yeah I'd like to hear what they say :D

Usually contacting a department that is hiring for a new officer is a good place to start. I find it hard to believe any agency will pay for your academy if you don't sign a contract to work for them.
Yeah I know they'd expect me to work for the for a certain amount of time, I contacted a few so waiting on replies