Getting sober

xam2991

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m moving back into sober living after being on my own for 2.5 years. Things haven’t been great and my sobriety has been awful. Any of you guys ever do this and have any advice?

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes. Pm me if you’d like. You got this if you want it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
When you say sobriety has been awful and your moving back to so we living, have you actually been sober or do you keep relapsing. Because sobriety can't be awful if your not actually sober.

I was a 20+ drinks a day person. 4pm till I passed out and on the weekends I drank from 4pm Friday to 3-4am leading into Sunday most weekends.

I got to a point where I just decided I was done and in order for it to work I had to replace my bad habits with more constructive habits. I accepted the fact that I was going to trade one addiction for another but I made the other positive.

Unfortunately it's hard to fill the time slot when you drink 8+hours a day so I had to get multiple hobbies. I 1-2 hours a day into the gym, 1-2 hours into learning about diet and nutrition, 1-2 hours of reading or studying something I wanted to learn. Then before bed I turn on YouTube or a show, get a note pad and write or draw or I'm here on the forum trying to learn or help someone else learn.

It's a boring lifestyle, but I've gotten used to it. I spend more time cooking and hiking or swimming. I go to a boxing/MMA gym.

I just keep busy with constructive things.

I haven't drank since March 9th 2019

I still miss it, but you know what I don't miss.....

I don't miss being broke.
I don't miss a 530 credit score.
I don't miss disappointing my kids
I don't miss being skinny-fat
I don't miss work! Haven't missed a day in who knows how long.

You gotta find what's going to work for you and you have to want it to work.

I don't know if any of that was helpful but I wanted to share lol

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I disagree with the boring part. Sobriety doesn’t have to be boring. Not knocking you but recovery and being a dry drunk are 2 different things. I’ve done both. Finding a balance is the hardest thing for us.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m moving back into sober living after being on my own for 2.5 years. Things haven’t been great and my sobriety has been awful. Any of you guys ever do this and have any advice?
Check your PM

xam2991

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you. I appreciate it and I respect you. I just keep relapsing is my problem. I can’t stay consistent. I used to be much worse, but the way I am right now just isn’t good enough for me. My demons are kratom and alcohol. Used to be Xanax also. Thankfully, the sober living place im going to is partnered with one of the best MMA/boxing gyms in my city, and I’ll get to train as much as I want. I used to do MMA and have wanted to get back into it for about 2 years. I was derailed by an injury and it got bad, that was when the Xanax came in. So atleast I’ll get to train. Which I never have money for anyways since I waste it on drugs and alcohol.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
When you say sobriety has been awful and your moving back to so we living, have you actually been sober or do you keep relapsing. Because sobriety can't be awful if your not actually sober.

I was a 20+ drinks a day person. 4pm till I passed out and on the weekends I drank from 4pm Friday to 3-4am leading into Sunday most weekends.

I got to a point where I just decided I was done and in order for it to work I had to replace my bad habits with more constructive habits. I accepted the fact that I was going to trade one addiction for another but I made the other positive.

Unfortunately it's hard to fill the time slot when you drink 8+hours a day so I had to get multiple hobbies. I 1-2 hours a day into the gym, 1-2 hours into learning about diet and nutrition, 1-2 hours of reading or studying something I wanted to learn. Then before bed I turn on YouTube or a show, get a note pad and write or draw or I'm here on the forum trying to learn or help someone else learn.

It's a boring lifestyle, but I've gotten used to it. I spend more time cooking and hiking or swimming. I go to a boxing/MMA gym.

I just keep busy with constructive things.

I haven't drank since March 9th 2019

I still miss it, but you know what I don't miss.....

I don't miss being broke.
I don't miss a 530 credit score.
I don't miss disappointing my kids
I don't miss being skinny-fat
I don't miss work! Haven't missed a day in who knows how long.

You gotta find what's going to work for you and you have to want it to work.

I don't know if any of that was helpful but I wanted to share lol
Sounds like we have some things in common. I ended up getting into recovery and been sober for a while by God's grace

xam2991

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like we have some things in common. I ended up getting into recovery and been sober for a while by God's grace
Yeah, I know there’s a few people here who are former addicts, so I wanted to reach out. It seems like fitness and addiction go hand in hand in some way or another for many people.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep lol. I don't think it's by accident there's a supplement company called Muscle Addiction.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I locked myself up for 2 weeks, I had to do it my way lol. It wasn't pleasant. I dragged a mattress, a TV and a recliner into the abandoned apartment above my parents house and stayed there, I knew rehab and AA wasn't for me. I'm lucky I was right because I know that it's a must for many ppl. Now 3 years later this apartment is remodeled and I live here. I did most of the remodel

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think the big thing for me was realizing that I still had goals to accomplish and drinking was the limiting factor for all of them. I'm all or nothing, so when I quit and started the new or I should say got back into my old hobbies/lifestyle I knew I was going all in

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I locked myself up for 2 weeks, I had to do it my way lol. It wasn't pleasant. I dragged a mattress, a TV and a recliner into the abandoned apartment above my parents house and stayed there, I knew rehab and AA wasn't for me. I'm lucky I was right because I know that it's a must for many ppl. Now 3 years later this apartment is remodeled and I live here. I did most of the remodel
Hell yeah man. 12 step groups don't hold a monopoly on sobriety. They work for many people, I'm grateful to be one of them

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good luck in your Journey, I'm rooting for you!

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Haven't drank anything in 4+ years and was a fifth a day whiskey drunk and more on weekends. Just got sick of it, put it down and never looked back. I haven't even had a serious thought about it. My life is 1000 times better and I actually remember it

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you spend half as much as some of us do on supplements, home gyms, and good food, then you wouldn't be able to afford a cheap bottle of anything or even a Miller Lite.

...Seriously tho, one day at a time.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you. I appreciate it and I respect you. I just keep relapsing is my problem. I can’t stay consistent. I used to be much worse, but the way I am right now just isn’t good enough for me. My demons are kratom and alcohol. Used to be Xanax also. Thankfully, the sober living place im going to is partnered with one of the best MMA/boxing gyms in my city, and I’ll get to train as much as I want. I used to do MMA and have wanted to get back into it for about 2 years. I was derailed by an injury and it got bad, that was when the Xanax came in. So atleast I’ll get to train. Which I never have money for anyways since I waste it on drugs and alcohol.
Hey brother .. i really don’t know much about drinking/drugs issue as I never got into it

Smoked cigs just to be cool, did weed in highschool to fit in .. will get drunk maybe once a year when I’m celebrating with freiends/family and know I’m in good hand

As for relapsing .. it takes a big person to admit the issue .. and clearly you want to .. don’t hestitate to look into AA .. you got this.

I’ve been depressed/suicidal thoughts but I know that’s an easy way out and I talked it out and know I would hurt others where I’m thinking just taking my life is putting myself out of misery

Drugs can get def bring the devil out in people.. seek help talk it out .. always here if u want to PM and just let stuff out and more importantly remember there’s people in world that would love to see u get clean and get life together

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you spend half as much as some of us do on supplements, home gyms, and good food, then you wouldn't be able to afford a cheap bottle of anything or even a Miller Lite.

...Seriously tho, one day at a time.
Lol you're not wrong 🤣
And definitely, one day at a time. One leg in yesterday and one leg in tomorrow you're pissing all over today. Gotta stay in the day