Getting brother in law into lifting

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
Yesterday we started the 5/3/1 Boring But Big variation. He is starting to enjoy working out and is quickly realizing he has more strength than he thought and gaining confidence. On non training days I figured he can just focus on jogging/walking to help with a somewhat active recovery. He doesn't belong to a gym and lifts at my house. Any beginner suggestions you guys have that I can relay to him to help out? Tips, tricks, or additions to training? He is a beginner and I am trying my hardest not to deter him from something that could benefit his life tremendously.

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Things such as setting short term goals whether performance or body composition wise that are attainable can help him see that he is progressing in the right direction. In the end though if it is something he truly doesn't enjoy doing and doesn't have some internal motivation there's a good chance he will stop when the opportunity arrives. Not saying that is how he is, just seen it happen many times.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with andrewski48. He's either going to fall in love with it or not. I would just keep doing what you're doing and give him a way to keep doing it. Offer tips on technique and form so that he concentrates on those early. I wouldn't throw too much at him so soon as he could get overwhelmed. Just have fun with it and enjoy having a workout partner and the pride in teaching somebody else.