Getting Big on a family budget!!!

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a wife and 4 kids. Give me some grocery advice for making gains on a family budget. Looking for reasonable sources of protein, carbs, and fats. Thanks.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Go to a BULK grocery store (Sams, Costco, etc)

You can buy bulk amounts of chicken, rice, beef, ground turkey, potatoes, veggies etc

You don't have to have magical amounts of food but doing a bulk grocery store saves money in the long run

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
5-6 pack non frozen grocery store brand chicken will be cheaper than purdue
large bag of grocery store rice, cheaper than name brand

buy bulk, zip lock and freeze your way to a bigger you

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Your cheapest option for lean protein per pound is gonna be chicken breast. If you see a sale, stock up and freeze some. Other than that, ground turkey, steak, and fish (depending on the sales) will be relatively inexpensive options for protein.

Carbs are insanely cheap - bulk rice, 3lb bags of potatoes, old fashoined oats. All very inexpensive options for quality carbs.

Fats can get pricey depending on what you go for - large containers of pb is a good/cheap option. olive oil can be found for reasonable prices and can also be used for a variety of things. nuts are expensive, but if you shop sales you can find almonds and peanuts at reasonable prices.

Go to youtube and check out the Animal videos that show the Universal athletes grocery shopping. They're given a budget and they have to shop and prep their food within the budget. I think the one video is called "huge on 100". Very informative videos if you're trying to save some money in the grocery store

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for tips and help guys...a bulking I will go.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crock pot chicken, shred, freeze. That's always easy and can be used in tons of ways.

mbell4377

mbell4377

Awards
Cans of tuna and rice, worked for me when budget was an issue

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Crock pot chicken, shred, freeze. That's always easy and can be used in tons of ways.
Crockpot meals are a BIG go to in my house!!!!

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aldi is my place to shop...always looking for how other people do it and make ends meet.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As others mentioned some of these, but chicken and ground turkey are cheapest meats. Also ground beef can be very affordable depending where you shop. Eggs, potatoes, rice and oatmeal. For extra fats grab a bottle of olive oil and add to your food. Also peanut butter is good too.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Aldi is my place to shop...always looking for how other people do it and make ends meet.
I will say this. Aldis has GREAT produce, but do NOT touch their meats. My buddy worked for another chain grocery store and told me once certain products went past their sell by date that they would then give them to Aldi to sell for another week or so.

This is what I was told, but for that reason and that reason alone I will NOT touch Aldi meat