Getting back in the gym after a few years -Advice?

Taureau

Taureau

Awards
Long story short.... My first semester of law school kicked me in the mouth. I stopped my gym routine, starting eating bad, stress level went through the roof, starting smoking, etc. Nearly 2 years later, I have a little bit better handle on things. Just gave up the smoking (thank god), and I'm trying to plot out my return to a sensible diet and weight lifting routine.

My physical health has certainly gone down hill, but given the hell I put my body through it definitely could be worse. I'm sitting at a soft 150 (5'8) with a hint of a belly (for the first time in my life - 27 yo) down from a VERY lean 165. Also noticed yesterday (first day back in the gym) that I have gotten unbelievably stiff. My 6 rep weight on bench press has dropped 30 pounds from 165 to 135. Same for squats (approx 30pd drop in rep weight).

At this point. I'm thinking baby steps. My goals are probably nowhere near as high as many of yours, but I would very much like to have my abs back & the same muscle tone I left off with for starters. I was thinking of easing myself back into the gym and dieting with something similar to the abs diet complete with the 3/day week full body circuit training & 2/day cardio.

My primary point in divulging all this is really just to ask for a bit of advise about easing myself back into the gym. I plan on generally sticking to the abs diet & recommended exercises for now until I can build up some more stamina. After that though, I'm somewhat at a loss... The truth is, I didn't have to work very hard to pack on the muscle I had before and I ate damn near anything I wanted save for the fact that I did always make sure to keep my protein intake at the proper levels. Somehow I don't imagine it's going to be that easy this time. I was already lean before I ever started last time around, and a bit younger.

I presently don't plan to use any supplements beyond whey and perhaps a can of creatine in a month or two after I'm settled into something. Thoughts?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look into Mark Ripptoes Starting Strength. It has a great 3 day a week plan and is an awesome routine to get started with. As far as supps? I would suggest the staples, multi vitamin, protein, fish oil, creatine, and BCAA's.

Here is a fan's blog of Starting Strength... it's got good info.

http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

ticus56

Awards
you coud also look into muscleandstrength.com for some workout when i started bak tht is where i pick up alot of my workout they have things for beginners to advance with evn videos on proper technique for your lifts which help out due to how many names lifts can have. checkit out hopefully it helps

Taureau

Taureau

Awards
Look into Mark Ripptoes Starting Strength. It has a great 3 day a week plan and is an awesome routine to get started with. As far as supps? I would suggest the staples, multi vitamin, protein, fish oil, creatine, and BCAA's.

Here is a fan's blog of Starting Strength... it's got good info.
This type of program is the right call now that you bring it up. Unfortunately, I won't have anybody to spot for me. Would probably have to stick to dumbbells on bench or otherwise break my neck pegging my rep weight right. Might have to use the guided bar w/locks for squats as well for the same reason. My form is likely to be **** right now which is going to severely limit the weight I can push in the beginning. Going to also have to throw in some sort of routine for stretching (quasi yoga) to limber up a bit.

Thanks for the link bro. Believe I'm going to get on something like this for a good 2-3 months (pending results) before tinkering. Target weight is a lean 180. BTW. Thanks Ticus. That website is also very helpful.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This type of program is the right call now that you bring it up. Unfortunately, I won't have anybody to spot for me. Would probably have to stick to dumbbells on bench or otherwise break my neck pegging my rep weight right. Might have to use the guided bar w/locks for squats as well for the same reason. My form is likely to be **** right now which is going to severely limit the weight I can push in the beginning. Going to also have to throw in some sort of routine for stretching (quasi yoga) to limber up a bit.

Thanks for the link bro. Believe I'm going to get on something like this for a good 2-3 months (pending results) before tinkering. Target weight is a lean 180. BTW. Thanks Ticus. That website is also very helpful.
Glad it's got your interest. Nothing wrong using things like the smith machine every now and then when needed. In the beginning you'll probably not need to worry about a spotter and save the "pushing out one more rep" stuff till you have established some muscle memory for the various movements and are comfortable. Also, don't be afraid to hit someone up in hte gym for a spot. Just be like, "mind giving me a quick spot". People are actually pretty receptive to it. I'm always more than willing when I'm asked.

As far as stretching goes, I'm not a fan of static holds i.e. bend and touch your toes now hold for 15 sec etc as part of a warm up. Those are better for afterwards. I prefer active warm ups, i.e. push-ups, body-weight squats, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc and a few reps of what ever exercise is about to be peformed at light weight just prior. Gets the blood flowing to the tissue about to be abused. Cold static stretches can do more harm sometimes. Glad your getting back into it man, keep it up.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could also start very basic with body weight exercises like sit ups, push ups, chin ups, lunges, etc.. Just get your muscles used to exertion and build up some stamina. At your age it should come back quick!!