Getting Back in Shape Routine

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Well it's been about a 18 months since I really hit the weights and cardio hard (been busy with studying for my engineering license exam & trying to have a child with my wife). Even though I'm not on TRT right now I want to get back into shape for year 2019. I also was suffering with some lower back facet joint arthritis & have since done a nerve ablation done which has helped. I'm 35 years old and have been doing yoga for over a month now but want to hit the weights and do some interval cardio again. I've been contemplating some of Frank Zane's routines but I know many on this forum could offer some advice as a good beginner's program to get right back into it. I eat pretty healthy as it is (gluten & pork free) & stick with a light carb, moderate fat, & high protein diet. I realize the gains won't come easy even if taking a natural test booster (Monster Test) but I want to build a solid foundation again with building lean muscle & shedding some fat. I'm 5'10" - 180lb, 18%bf. Thanks.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Look into 5/3/1...it's a simple and easy plan to follow....

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look into 5/3/1...it's a simple and easy plan to follow....
It aint "pretty" like a lot of other programs, but the **** works and is very easy to adjust once progress stalls. And you have to be willing to work. It isnt just a bunch of iso movements like a lot of gym bros want in their programs. Follow the program as written (at least initially) and work your ass off and it is guaranteed to work. If i may give a piece of advice on it: be careful on the AMRAP deadlift sets. It will be easy to get carried away and want to keep going for more reps despite compromising form. Dont let this happen. Make it a technical AMRAP where you go until you dont think you can do another rep with 90+ percent of the same form you'd have during your warmup sets. Also, dont touch and go your deadlifts. Do a full pause as this will help you learn how to pull a single which truly is a totally different ballgame in terms of forcing your body into the needed positioning.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Keep it simple, 3x a week full body 1 exercise per body part. Once the numbers stop going up get back to a program. It's never failed me after a long break

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I agree with both previous suggestions. I lean towards 3x full body personally, mainly because progress is a lot faster than 531. Given your recovery needs, I would do a heavy/light/medium setup and make sure to include things like reverse hypers and planks to rehab your lower back and core.

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
I like your thoughts, back when I started lifting in high school I swore by the Arnold 6 compound movements he stressed. As I am a hardgainer I felt like compound movements are better for my physical makeup. I do need to focus on reverse hypers and planks for my lower back and it might be a bit for deadlifting. Any good heavy/medium/light compound exercise routines out there? Is it advisable to do some lifting and incorporate some band exercises?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Spend less time asking and more time doing, get in the gym and lift

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like your thoughts, back when I started lifting in high school I swore by the Arnold 6 compound movements he stressed. As I am a hardgainer I felt like compound movements are better for my physical makeup. I do need to focus on reverse hypers and planks for my lower back and it might be a bit for deadlifting. Any good heavy/medium/light compound exercise routines out there? Is it advisable to do some lifting and incorporate some band exercises?
Look up Andy Baker.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually would lean towards DC training once you get your body back in the routine of weight lifting.