Getting Back After Two Years

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys...pretty simple question - I've been out of the gym for two years due to health issues (now resolved) and am getting back into the swing of things. I was going to just start with a total body workout M/W/F to start - squats/deadlift/bench/shoulder press/pullups and rows for the most part, with a couple ancillary exercises thrown in at the end.

What else would everyone recommend for helping me get my total fitness back? I'm prioritizing functional fitness and strength over aesthetics and power. Just looking for tips and suggestions to keep me from getting injured while also seeing good progress.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What you have laid out, is exactly what I was gonna suggest...(It’s currently how I train, good frequency and recovery)

Face pulls for shoulder health every workout and will give you some shoulder size too.
Don’t neglect hamstrings, something I’ve had to add more volume on.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Overall looks good. After a two year layoff the results should come pretty quick if diet is on point (depending on beginning stats of course).

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. Getting older has taught me that a lot of the time, simple is best haha. I'm seeing pretty good results already - starting stats are 6' 190lbs and 17%bf. So not terrible. I'm just taking it slow when it comes to adding weight - the only person I'm trying to impress is me haha. Thanks for the input!