Free Testosterone Levels High

Ironliftr3

Awards
I finally convinced my primary care physician to check my Free Testosterone. She previously said it was unnecessary because my Total was in line.
This is on Androgel, 2 pumps per day. I fear she is going to want to reduce my dose (I was actually hoping to increase it)

What are the risks (if any) of Free Testosterone outside of the high end range?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I finally convinced my primary care physician to check my Free Testosterone. She previously said it was unnecessary because my Total was in line.
This is on Androgel, 2 pumps per day. I fear she is going to want to reduce my dose (I was actually hoping to increase it)

What are the risks (if any) of Free Testosterone outside of the high end range?

View attachment 198307
If your lipids are good. And you are not experiencing any negative side effects, and you feel good, fight to keep the levels you have.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
fat chance he said his doc is a she....op be prepared to be downsized!!!
I would say be prepared to shop for a new doc if that is the case. Or explain to the doctor why you feel giving women birth control is more dangerous than optimizing testosterone; she will love that, and buy you another tube of test gel.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No risk, you are actually very lucky and shouldn't touch a thing.

Rockslide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
It may mean you have low SHBG... this is generally good. Agree that if your lipids are in check and your estro isn’t low (AIs can lower shbg while decreasing estro and increasing free test) that you should be very happy with those levels.

Ironliftr3

Awards
And as I expected, my GP wants to reduce my dosage by half based on the above results. I'm not sure this is a fight I will win (although I am trying).

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Get a new doc. Not worth the time or effort. Never enter into an argument if the other person is not willing to change their mind (and my experience is a Dr never feels they need to learn from a patient)

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And as I expected, my GP wants to reduce my dosage by half based on the above results. I'm not sure this is a fight I will win (although I am trying).
Just let her know you've done your research. You feel good, and you are sorry, but will be looking for another doctor. She may say, okay, let's keep your dose, or say, here is the door.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just let her know you've done your research. You feel good, and you are sorry, but will be looking for another doctor. She may say, okay, let's keep your dose, or say, here is the door.
this. but use tact... tell her you will be seeking a second opinion from an endo.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
this. but use tact... tell her you will be seeking a second opinion from an endo.
I can have a problem with the whole "tact" thing. I don't hide how I feel very well xD

Ironliftr3

Awards
I did tell her I wanted a second blood draw to validate those numbers as I've had them fluctuate in the past (which I have). She pulled the "Insurance won't pay for a retest so soon" card. I told her to bill me, I'll pay out of pocket.

I had blood drawn today.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Should have just gone to Ultalabs and had the free test done yourself ....could have always kept it a secret. Would have been around $50 and saved some headache.

Of course this advice isn't very helpful now....sorry.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, look for a new Dr, preferably a male one that’s on TRT, your levels are good, don’t touch it. If you don’t want to switch Dr don’t apply your test for a few days before next blood test and your numbers should drop, like my Dr said when my free test was in the 400’s “wait longer before your draw blood next time so we can keep you on the same dose”.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im surprised Androgel can actually knock your levels over the limits or even get it in upper normal. Still as long as estradiol isn’t too high dr. should not have a problem since it is only slightly above range.

Ironliftr3

Awards
I was also surprised Angogel could knock me over the limits. I requested the free testosterone results because I expected them to be low.

I may have underdosed (one pump instead of two) prior to the blood draw on 10/16. Hopefully that will reduce it down enough to have an impact. Otherwise, as others have suggested, it's off to a previous (male endocrinologist) doctor who originally prescribed my TRT. Getting it from my GP has just been a lot more convenient (until now).

Ironliftr3

Awards
So I missed one dose prior to my blood draw, and totally crashed my testosterone levels. I'm sure she will be ultra suspicious of these readings, and I'm probably back to square one.

At least I know the Androgel is actually working.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I missed one dose prior to my blood draw, and totally crashed my testosterone levels. I'm sure she will be ultra suspicious of these readings, and I'm probably back to square one.

At least I know the Androgel is actually working.

View attachment 198968
if they don’t do the blood draw onsite at your doctor’s office you can wait awhile before you go in to have the blood drawn. The doctors orders should be good for at least a month and if she asks why you didn’t go in right away say you were out of town.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your first bloodwork is by far the highest numbers I have ever seen from androgel. It's also crazy how 1 missed dose drives your numbers into the dirt

Ironliftr3

Awards
Your first bloodwork is by far the highest numbers I have ever seen from androgel. It's also crazy how 1 missed dose drives your numbers into the dirt
I certainly didn't expect them to be that high, which is why I pushed for a free-testosterone test. I assumed they would be low and I would push for a higher dose/injections. Shot myself in the foot because now I'm fighting to stay on the does I had.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I certainly didn't expect them to be that high, which is why I pushed for a free-testosterone test. I assumed they would be low and I would push for a higher dose/injections. Shot myself in the foot because now I'm fighting to stay on the does I had.
I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but you should have some options outside a primary care physician, endo or if you really want to get injectable and more you can send those second labs to a online trt clinic and you should be all set

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm pretty sure you cant be getting androgel from your primary and another prescription at the same time tho so that's something you gotta figure out

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you apply the gel on your arms? If so that can lead to false high readings since the draw needle will get test gel from the application sites. Also get blood work before taking your doses because it will falsely inflate your numbers too from the spike.

Ironliftr3

Awards
Did you apply the gel on your arms? If so that can lead to false high readings since the draw needle will get test gel from the application sites. Also get blood work before taking your doses because it will falsely inflate your numbers too from the spike.
For the high reading, I applied my dose the night before, and showered before my blood work. You are absolutely right about the draw needle getting test gel from the application site. I learned this the hard way years ago with a previous doctor, and levels that were triple the normal range. I demanded a re-test immediately for that one.

Ironliftr3

Awards
I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but you should have some options outside a primary care physician, endo or if you really want to get injectable and more you can send those second labs to a online trt clinic and you should be all set
My next refill is mid December. If my primary care physician insists on lowering my dose, I have an endocrinologist who originally prescribed my trt years ago who I can go to (he never measured free-T either). It's just a hell of a lot more convenient to get it from my PC who I see once a year anyway. Endo requires quarterly visits and labs. So you are right, I have some options.