Frankenfish Wins Approval as First Genetically Altered Animal

ALIEN

Awards
Now that the FDA has protected the consumer with the crackdown of USP Labs, it quietly approves the highly controversial genetically engineered AquAdvantage Salmon. The FDA won’t require food made with the genetically engineered salmon to be labeled..

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-19/-frankenfish-wins-approval-as-first-genetically-altered-animal
fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm473249.htm

(add www to links)

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
I'm presuming the FDA is on certain people's payroll...

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
If you have good lobbyists like Wall Street you can destroy the country's economy and no one gets arrested.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pull my salmon out of the rivers and ocean I live near, no concern here. freezer's stocked!

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
This makes me scratch my head.. Genetically modified living animals are OK for everyone to eat without warning with who knows potential health effects long term..but God forbid I pick up an organically grown hooker I go to jail again...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This makes me scratch my head.. Genetically modified living animals are OK for everyone to eat without warning with who knows potential health effects long term..but God forbid I pick up an organically grown hooker I go to jail again...
Did all this talk of fish remind you?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know very little information on the actual genetic modification but I would think the long term risk would be some of these fish getting into the general population and spreading the genes(if possible.) Whether this would be a problem or not I do not know, but it does not sound good.

Also while the producers are not required to label these GMO fish this does NOT prevent a manufacturer from stating GMO free wild caught on there fish.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know very little information on the actual genetic modification but I would think the long term risk would be some of these fish getting into the general population and spreading the genes(if possible.) Whether this would be a problem or not I do not know, but it does not sound good.

Also while the producers are not required to label these GMO fish this does NOT prevent a manufacturer from stating GMO free wild caught on there fish.

Good point. With foods that can be or are frequently GMO, if the label doesn't specify non-GMO, I typically assume that it's GMO.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
How exactly could this have harmful effects. All they did was tinker with RNA to create a mutation, something that could have eventually happened naturally anyway

See it as an accelerated version of artificial selection.

No toxins or anything. What's the possible health risk?

Nyrin

Awards
There's plenty of reasons to be outraged at the business practices surrounding GMOs.

There's, to date, no legitimate reason to be concerned about the health implications.

Why should you have to label GMO foods separately? There are dozens of other things that are more meaningful.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
We've had genetically altered salmon farm raised and sold in the us . No one really knows what they're getting.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Farm raised is different than genetically altered.
Do you think they are genetically altered and sold from the lab ? No , they're placed amongst the population tagged and monitored then sold as farm raised. Who would waste money to genetically test fish ? Not the fda thats for sure. Thanks to whistleblowers we find out about these things. Gmo corn for example.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
GMO is complete **** everything about it the people pulling strings to get them out un named the whole ordeal absolute ****

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
GMO is complete **** everything about it the people pulling strings to get them out un named the whole ordeal absolute ****
They camouflage the clones with the natty ones . Undistinguishable to the naked eye.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I for one am not very afraid of the health effects. Everyone is afraid because it's a new thing, IMO. People don't like change.