John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdn7iTe_cH4

This is part two, in this part, something about in golds gym he didn't allow music, something about it takes away from weight training. Franco says something about 15 % , the brain has to listen to music and it takes away from training

lol sorry I love Franco and don't buy it. I found certain music helped me focus out some of the bs talk I overhear at the gym and me concentrate more and get in a certain state of mind

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably a personal preference. Music probably helps some people but hinders others. Scientifically speaking if listening to music reduces workout efficiency then so would listening to arnold going "two moooaaar Franco, come aaaan, two moooaaar, no matter whaaaaaaaaaaaat"

Mike NCR

Mike NCR

Awards
I think the real hindrance comes from music blasting. Loud anything is a stressor, and listening to music at levels blowing your ears off can make you think or feel you're working harder than you really are, i.e. 300 can feel like pushing 350. Not to mention it can wreck your focus & concentration.

I work out solo in my basement, so any music I have on is just to keep me from getting bored. When I used to work out at public gyms though my ideal would be light background radio, just enough so that the place wasn't a library.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
I notice a big difference according to the source of the music, environment music doesnt disturb me unless its bruno mars or other estrogen filled crap.

Headphones may be a problem, that really takes away some focus at least in my case; the only time it helps its while resting.

Personally the best setting to lift for me in the right environment music with a reasonable volume, and most of all the right type.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It's true, last time my ass played a symphony in the hole of heavy set of squats everyone lost their focus and I lost my ****, literally.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The last couple of years ive been listening to audiobooks and podcasts while training. I even cancelled my Spotify subscription as I didnt use it anymore. It doesnt affect my training either way, but my mind feels calmer and clearer.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe listening to music during sports training and other such exercises, frees the mind and applies the spirit. For example... The lyrics convey a message of action to wit your body sometimes must offer a response.

29683264_1723973707646086_7407431034251528097_n.jpg

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The last couple of years ive been listening to audiobooks and podcasts while training. I even cancelled my Spotify subscription as I didnt use it anymore. It doesnt affect my training either way, but my mind feels calmer and clearer.
I’m the same, I listen to music all day at work, so when I’m working out I listen to podcasts. If I’m super tired or something I’ll throw on a gym music playlist but 95% of the time it’s podcasts. Really makes cardio enjoyable

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm always around music, it is always on in our house and there is little that is more motivating.

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
i love Franco but i personally like loud music in my gym. i can't wear headphones though, they irritate my ears and i just can't handle it