ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like a plan.

Trying to decide if I'm going to continue using up the vials I suspect to be low-dosed or if I'm going to set them aside and switch to the new stuff. Could use the old stuff later on on top maybe.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Popped 50mg adrol sublingual at 3pm, started warming up at about 415 and by 445 was in work sets and starting to feel it. Last couple sets of today's 5x6x255 were fkn smooth, better than the first sets for sure. Went into it with some brachioradialis pain that I've been dealing with in my right arm after squats. The first sets sucked honestly, but the last 2 were good, especially the last set. I'll be using the anadrol on training days moving forward and will take it a little earlier, about 230.

Stuck with the underdosed vials today. Just gonna run em out and then get into this new stuff. If the drol says anything about the quality of the other gear, should be g2g!

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I gotta get this elbow pain I'm getting from squats under control, it's messing with my bench days which is just absolutely unacceptable horsesh!t.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Elbow feels fine upon waking this morning. Blood flow work after heavy sets did the trick I think.

Kept incline DB to 4x15x60s just to get the blood moving. Did some cable tri press, skull crushers and hex press after that.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I gotta get this elbow pain I'm getting from squats under control, it's messing with my bench days which is just absolutely unacceptable horsesh!t.
the only thing that seemed to work for me was throwing in more db curls ironically. I do curls almost every session to loosen up elbows before bench, and extremely light weight before deads even. not enough to fatigue biceps but to warm everything up. Yes I'm that idiot in the squat rack that takes an empty barbell and curls it 20 times before I squat....

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hammercurls with light dbs work even better for tendonitis, fyi - let’s you indirectly involve the front delts more and starts to warm the shoulder complex as well. I got that from Brandon Lilly and Swede Burns and it has helped everyone who has tried it. Couple sets of 20 tossed into your warmup routine.

Best advice without changing bar grip is to organize your training week/microcycle to have your heaviest bench day BEFORE the squat day.

As for addressing root cause, if you don’t want to move the bar higher, try moving your grip out a couple finger widths. If this isn’t practical, some guys do well with the falcon grip (pinky tucked under the bar).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, Anadrol should NOT be taken sublingually for a male.

The first pass orally converts it to more of the more androgenic metabolites, so only females looking to lower virilization potential or bodybuilders not seeking the maximum acute performance increases should go sublingual or injectable for Anadrol specifically.

A male strength athlete should always eat their A-bombs.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hammercurls with light dbs work even better for tendonitis, fyi - let’s you indirectly involve the front delts more and starts to warm the shoulder complex as well. I got that from Brandon Lilly and Swede Burns and it has helped everyone who has tried it. Couple sets of 20 tossed into your warmup routine.

Best advice without changing bar grip is to organize your training week/microcycle to have your heaviest bench day BEFORE the squat day.

As for addressing root cause, if you don’t want to move the bar higher, try moving your grip out a couple finger widths. If this isn’t practical, some guys do well with the falcon grip (pinky tucked under the bar).
I'm going to give the light hammer curls during warmup a try, that sounds like a net positive.

I'm out as far as I can go inside my hooks at about a finger past the rings. As cool as Falcon Grip! sounds (I'm imagining it in the 'Yoga Flame!' voice from Dhalsim in Street Fighter), I gave it a try a little over a year ago when I was having similar issues to now and it totally wrecked my right hand for an extended period of time. My pinky felt dislocated. I'm sure it was poor placement somehow but still yet, not looking to try that again without some hands-on direction from someone with experience.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also, Anadrol should NOT be taken sublingually for a male.

The first pass orally converts it to more of the more androgenic metabolites, so only females looking to lower virilization potential or bodybuilders not seeking the maximum acute performance increases should go sublingual or injectable for Anadrol specifically.

A male strength athlete should always eat their A-bombs.
THIS I did not expect! I thought everything was better sublingual! Good to know. Henceforth I shall nom the bombs.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Been at 315T/140P since 2/3. Considering an increase to 420T/192.5P

**Bear in mind these are basically just numbers to keep myself on track with the current vials since the Test is underdosed. That gives me suspicions as to the purity of the Primo as well, although it has had a marked affect on E2 levels.**

Having added the Anadrol to work out days, that adds another 200mg of drugs per week, but I'm likely only going to use this on heavy weeks. May continue to use adrol on deads to try to them up as it is still lagging compared to my squat and bench.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Deads Friday and OHP yesterday were awesome. The acute extra strength/capacity is noticeable. I actually was pushing so hard through the floor on the first work set of deads I thought I hurt my foot. Had to loosen the straps on my shoes.

Yesterday a half cap of Bronkaid and 50mg Adrol had me feeling like I could lift forever. Had a first rep on like the 3rd set where I started to get lightheaded from my breathing being off. Normally I would have stopped and reset, but I surprised myself and pushed through it easily and finished the set of 6.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Time to start figuring out a direction to take my training. Not sure if I should keep the OHP in the mix or swap it for a second bench day doing close grip. Or possibly a deadlift variation since I'm trying to bring it up.

Accessories have been

Squat: Good Mornings (straight bar or SSB)
Bench: 20° Incline DB
Dead: Multi Grip Bar Row (EliteFTS American Cambered Bar, 3rd grip supinated)
OHP: Flat DB

Or maybe on day 4 (Saturday) I could do a variation of all 3 lifts. Something like SSB to box, close grip BP, and deficit or rack pull. That sounds fun and would be some good nrevous system practice for doing all three lifts in the same day. If I went that route I think I would keep weights to ~50% or so.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly, OHP is not a big driver for flat bench. Don’t get me wrong it’s one of my favorite movements, but, IMO I find varying angles and grips of incline pressing to be much better suited to building bench.

A few years back I removed them from a intense bench cycle as they were taxing my shoulders too much and negatively impacting bench. A few weeks later I PRd with my first 4 plate bench.

But damn I love the way my shoulders and traps pop when I’m doing a bunch of heavy overhead work…..

Choose your poison lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you want an SBD day, have at if you have 3+ hours for a training day, but just remember most of powerlifting history people have not done that.

Unless you’re Natty and need more than 2x/wk muscle stimulation, it isn’t necessary and costs more mileage over time.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Favorite undisputed show of all time
Love it. Such terrible a$$holes, ha ha. Still trying to get caught all the way up now that I have Hulu, I dropped out of TV for a few years.

Been watching and digging Letterkenny lately after it was suggested by the same buddy that turned me onto Always Sunny. That's got some gems too.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Honestly, OHP is not a big driver for flat bench. Don’t get me wrong it’s one of my favorite movements, but, IMO I find varying angles and grips of incline pressing to be much better suited to building bench.

A few years back I removed them from a intense bench cycle as they were taxing my shoulders too much and negatively impacting bench. A few weeks later I PRd with my first 4 plate bench.

But damn I love the way my shoulders and traps pop when I’m doing a bunch of heavy overhead work…..

Choose your poison lol
That's kind of what I was thinking about the shoulders. I feel like I could get more transfer to bench from an incline where I can keep my shoulders and lats tighter.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you want an SBD day, have at if you have 3+ hours for a training day, but just remember most of powerlifting history people have not done that.

Unless you’re Natty and need more than 2x/wk muscle stimulation, it isn’t necessary and costs more mileage over time.
Also, agreed on OHP. It’s a fun trick but it is not necessary to build a bigger bench. I always drop it the final weeks of prep.
Thinking something along the lines of rotating the 3, Bench/Squat, Dead/Bench, Squat/Dead, Bench/Squat with the second B/S day being a variation.

That said, still thinking I'll run a 5th Wave and do sets of 4 the next 3 weeks so I have a little time to think about it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Love it. Such terrible a$$holes, ha ha. Still trying to get caught all the way up now that I have Hulu, I dropped out of TV for a few years.

Been watching and digging Letterkenny lately after it was suggested by the same buddy that turned me onto Always Sunny. That's got some gems too.
Letterkenny and trailer park boys are amazing. Canadian humor is definitely a male niche thing.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
High volume squats are still wrecking my elbows. Lame. May alter the squat workout since the other 3 days have been feeling fine. I think I'll just run some heavy doubles and singles on Monday instead of the sets of 4. Maybe something like 4x2 + 8x1 so I can still get the overall volume in a similar range but limit the extended periods of pressure on the joints.

My shoulders and upper chest have been feeling good and growing, as have my overhead press numbers, so I'm going to keep it in. I've been closing in on a body weight strict press which is a personal goal I'd like to realize.

I think I'm going to run 531 heading into the meet with some conjugate flavor for the accessory work. The big question is I'm trying to decide if I should make an effort to establish a more accurate max to base my TM off of since I'm only working with estimates? I'm 13 weeks out so I feel like maybe trying to see what my 3RMs are might be an okay approach, seems too close to really go ham for a 1RM.

If I do that I'm loosely thinking finish off the base/volume plan by the end of next week, take a deload, then take a week to establish 3RMs and then plug them into 531/conjugate. That puts me starting it at 10 weeks out, minus 2 weeks to taper down, so about 2 waves.

With this past 14 weeks of volume, after years of 531 and 5x5, I'd be surprised if my numbers haven't moved up a bit. The weights have been moving well lately too, outside of the elbow discomfort. Sucks cause otherwise the squats have been feeling strong. I'll get it figured out though, one way or another. This too shall pass!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm curious to see what @Hyde says about the 531 meet prep since we discussed that somewhere else recently. I know with my own history of 531 Id really need a coach to help me with the tapering and plan it wisely because the AMRAPs crush me after 2 cycles and the third month was always a pro-longed deload. That said, knowing me, a 531 for like 4-6 or 7 weeks might be perfect for me, IDK. or an adjusted 531 as I think Hyde mentioned elsewhere with more reasonable amrap caps, no joker sets, etc could be magic. That's essentially what I do now tbh. sorta a more drawn out 531 where I never do more than 3-5 reps on the top set, I don't do more than singles on "jokers" and my "BBB" is essentially a drop set of 10.

the elbow dilemma is real. my experience has been a lot of light weight db curls and it usually seems to fix it. actually, always fixes it. (that with some fishoil, etc )

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've never done joker sets (that I know of? Never really figured out what they are) and my BBB was always the same, back off to like 55-60% for 5x10.

Been adding DB curls in here and there trying to work it out and the fish earl is always flowing. 🛢 Might need to up it though, I take 4.8g daily

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've never done joker sets (that I know of? Never really figured out what they are) and my BBB was always the same, back off to like 55-60% for 5x10.

Been adding DB curls in here and there trying to work it out and the fish earl is always flowing. Might need to up it though, I take 4.8g daily
Joker sets are heavier sets thrown in after the 531 amrap is finished. I don't remember the percentages but they're proportionately very hard...

Today my buddies elbows flared up bad after we did deficit deads. He could even follow up with rows so I made him go sit down and do like 20lb db curls until they felt better lol.

Ten minutes later he was like wow I feel great and then did his rows

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ah, nope! Never done that, ha ha.

Glad the curls came to the rescue for homie!

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Stumbled across this last night. Some interesting info. I remembered the point about using straps for all his deads from his interview on Table Talk. Makes me want to give straps a try to be able to forget about trying to hang on to the bar and just focus solely on the activity in the legs, hips and back. I have a cheap pair I picked up years ago that I think I'll give a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't use straps for my pulls off the ground or blocks because I tend to relax my shoulders more with straps and don't hold the upper scap area as tight. Now, there are those, especially strong men, who might suggest that it's fine. you even have to approach say an atlas stone in that way anyways but for me I try to train as rigid as possible so that my 1rm form (which will deteriorate i'm sure) is as close to training form as possible...

where I DO use straps is for repping out. I'll use them on like 3 x 8 RDLs at 315, or a big 'ol man set of 10+ reps etc. but for my heavy 3-5 rep pulls off the ground or blocks I stick to just hands. <--- just my opinion.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stumbled across this last night. Some interesting info. I remembered the point about using straps for all his deads from his interview on Table Talk. Makes me want to give straps a try to be able to forget about trying to hang on to the bar and just focus solely on the activity in the legs, hips and back. I have a cheap pair I picked up years ago that I think I'll give a try tomorrow.

I wouldn’t necessarily take grip advice from someone who never accomplished their meet deadlift goals (900lbs in comp) from dropping deadlifts/grip issues. I completely agree that for a hookgrip guy (read: big hands!) you can do 90+% of training in straps and pull your comp singles hook, constantly getting stronger, but they all pull more with straps in the gym than in comp. Pete Rubish, Steve Goggins, Bryce Krawczyk all come to mind as world-level pullers who strap in training, hook at meets, pull huge but still bigger in training with straps.

If you are an over under guy, you need to practice handling your heaviest loads frequently with over under. Not necessarily volume, but the absolute weight so the specific grip is there. Like if you work up to a weight and do multiple sets with it, you can use straps for some of the later ones, or if you have down sets of reps you could strap on those, but you should still practice how you will compete when preparing for a comp.

Regarding 531 or conjugate, I don’t think either is necessarily ideal for a first meet prep. Conjugate takes time to start feeling out, setting up, tweaking. 12 weeks isn’t enough unless following a fairly intelligent specific template. And most raw lifters should not only be box squatting. Not near the meet - the point of that dynamic squat day needs to be to hone comp technique. Boxsquats could be the first wave, then it should go to free as the meet nears. 531 has some powerlifting prep templates that are alright, but I’m just saying there’s even more specific stuff out there.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
stupid question... but are you using chalk?
every once in a while I encounter a gym barbell that is disproportionately shitty with no grip and it makes me think my grip strength is poor when in actuality its the buttery polished grip of the cheapo barbell thats been hammered over the years. I keep two tubes of liquid chalk in my bag just in case.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
<---
hookgrip guy
Hookgrip aside, this probably isn't something I'm going to try to work into right now, using straps too often I mean. I don't want to get myself focused too much on anything besides getting prepped and getting this comp under my belt for the time being. I just meant to point out that it seemed like an interesting approach to separating and negating that aspect of the lift to try to encourage growth in the more 'prime movers'.

Regarding 531 or conjugate, I don’t think either is necessarily ideal for a first meet prep. Conjugate takes time to start feeling out, setting up, tweaking.
I hear ya on setting up/tweaking, I dabbled with conjugate back in the fall and it definitely has a learning curve to finding what's right for the person running it. I more or less meant I'm going to use variations of the lifts as the accessory work while still doing the heavy lifting with the comp movements to work on specificity moving closer to the meet.

531 has some powerlifting prep templates that are alright, but I’m just saying there’s even more specific stuff out there.
I'm open to any suggestions if you have if you have a direction to point me in, 531 is just my go-to as it has done me well for so long and I tend to get analysis paralysis when it comes to trying to move outside of the tried and true. Hell, I've been trying to move into conjugate for like 3 years at this point. :/

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
stupid question... but are you using chalk?
every once in a while I encounter a gym barbell that is disproportionately shitty with no grip and it makes me think my grip strength is poor when in actuality its the buttery polished grip of the cheapo barbell thats been hammered over the years. I keep two tubes of liquid chalk in my bag just in case.
Yep, I use block chalk. I use a bare steel Ohio Power bar and keep it brushed off and fresh. Usually warmup without chalk and then either last warmup weight or first working set I'll chalk up.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
And while talking about grip, I actually rarely hookgrip unless my grip is getting tired, so sometimes next to last or last set. 95% of the time it's double overhand. I've never mix gripped and have always been kinda put off by it in fear of my bicep flying off.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
High volume squats are still wrecking my elbows. Lame. May alter the squat workout since the other 3 days have been feeling fine. I think I'll just run some heavy doubles and singles on Monday instead of the sets of 4. Maybe something like 4x2 + 8x1 so I can still get the overall volume in a similar range but limit the extended periods of pressure on the joints.

My shoulders and upper chest have been feeling good and growing, as have my overhead press numbers, so I'm going to keep it in. I've been closing in on a body weight strict press which is a personal goal I'd like to realize.

I think I'm going to run 531 heading into the meet with some conjugate flavor for the accessory work. The big question is I'm trying to decide if I should make an effort to establish a more accurate max to base my TM off of since I'm only working with estimates? I'm 13 weeks out so I feel like maybe trying to see what my 3RMs are might be an okay approach, seems too close to really go ham for a 1RM.

If I do that I'm loosely thinking finish off the base/volume plan by the end of next week, take a deload, then take a week to establish 3RMs and then plug them into 531/conjugate. That puts me starting it at 10 weeks out, minus 2 weeks to taper down, so about 2 waves.

With this past 14 weeks of volume, after years of 531 and 5x5, I'd be surprised if my numbers haven't moved up a bit. The weights have been moving well lately too, outside of the elbow discomfort. Sucks cause otherwise the squats have been feeling strong. I'll get it figured out though, one way or another. This too shall pass!
The feeling of OHP’ing one’s own bodyweight or more is a feeling everyone should experience. Love it!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Just listened to that podcast the other day. Another banger. When I’m back to deads and RDLs I’ll be incorporating waaaaaay more strap work.
This geared benching has my forearms exploding and taxing the old kung fu grip.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
The feeling of OHP’ing one’s own bodyweight or more is a feeling everyone should experience. Love it!
It almost counts that I can press my OLD bodyweight... right?? 🤣😩

I've always had this desire to hit 1xBW OHP, 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat, 2.5xBW dead. With my weight going up it's staying just as hard! Ha ha . I can hit the squat and maybe bench, getting close on press, but damn am I a ways off with the dead.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hookgrip aside, this probably isn't something I'm going to try to work into right now, using straps too often I mean. I don't want to get myself focused too much on anything besides getting prepped and getting this comp under my belt for the time being. I just meant to point out that it seemed like an interesting approach to separating and negating that aspect of the lift to try to encourage growth in the more 'prime movers'.

I hear ya on setting up/tweaking, I dabbled with conjugate back in the fall and it definitely has a learning curve to finding what's right for the person running it. I more or less meant I'm going to use variations of the lifts as the accessory work while still doing the heavy lifting with the comp movements to work on specificity moving closer to the meet.

I'm open to any suggestions if you have if you have a direction to point me in, 531 is just my go-to as it has done me well for so long and I tend to get analysis paralysis when it comes to trying to move outside of the tried and true. Hell, I've been trying to move into conjugate for like 3 years at this point. :/
I think Pete’s advice is awesome for off-season and agree with him, but your first meet prep is not the time to try something that could weaken your comp grip potentially. As Steve Goggins always teaches, do your top set hook and you can put your straps on for other stuff. But you have to maintain that maximal grip ability in a comp prep. You would only use them the entire session if your hand was torn.

If you are doing the comp lifts weekly and have a variation for your main accessory, that’s not Conjugate - that is basically just all powerlifting. This is a great approach as long as the primary lift work is being manipulated somehow (waving intensity or volume). You obviously don’t want to do 1RM on comp lifts weekly with no variation, which is why Louie rotates lifts to use the max effort method.

I think you should do what gets you most excited to train. It’s your first meet and everything will be a PR.

It almost counts that I can press my OLD bodyweight... right?? 🤣

I've always had this desire to hit 1xBW OHP, 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat, 2.5xBW dead. With my weight going up it's staying just as hard! Ha ha . I can hit the squat and maybe bench, getting close on press, but damn am I a ways off with the dead.
I have done all of these feats, but never all at the same time. I did them all much sooner than the bench - me benching 345 weighing 230 a couple weeks ago took 14 years of benching and bulk/cut. The rest were done by 2015. But I can’t do the overhead press currently. Maybe I’ll try it after the meet!

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Deads are my Achilles, but I love the feeling I get from them more than anything.
Man I feel ya there, I love the way they feel but justhaven't given them enough time of day with proper technique I guess. I think that's going to change though. I want that number to move up and the only way out is through.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think Pete’s advice is awesome for off-season and agree with him, but your first meet prep is not the time to try something that could weaken your comp grip potentially. As Steve Goggins always teaches, do your top set hook and you can put your straps on for other stuff. But you have to maintain that maximal grip ability in a comp prep. You would only use them the entire session if your hand was torn.

If you are doing the comp lifts weekly and have a variation for your main accessory, that’s not Conjugate - that is basically just all powerlifting. This is a great approach as long as the primary lift work is being manipulated somehow (waving intensity or volume). You obviously don’t want to do 1RM on comp lifts weekly with no variation, which is why Louie rotates lifts to use the max effort method.

I think you should do what gets you most excited to train. It’s your first meet and everything will be a PR.

I have done all of these feats, but never all at the same time. I did them all much sooner than the bench - me benching 345 weighing 230 a couple weeks ago took 14 years of benching and bulk/cut. The rest were done by 2015. But I can’t do the overhead press currently. Maybe I’ll try it after the meet!
Yeah, definitely something to bank for later.

I'll probably forgo testing out for new maxes and just run my estimated 1RM that I used for this last training cycle. So where I used 90% if that as the TM, I'll use the 100% weight as my TM in a 531 variation. We'll see, all just an experiment anyway.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Just wanted to toss in some thoughts from someone who uses hook grip a ton and lots of straps. I bolded what I think is the biggest takeaway for now, I just wouldn't risk any changes right now.

I personally use my straps a ton. I think it is one of those things that kind of depends on your experience level. When I first switched to hook grip I pretty much never used my straps. Even higher rep sets I just sucked it up and used my hook grip. After years of doing that I now don't tend to feel I have issues with my hook grip at all and will pretty much use straps on any sort of accessory work, any sets above 3 reps, and maybe even on extra sets after my top weight of the day (if I am feeling meh). I've found if I do think it is a concern for me I just take a block of training and skip the straps if I am worried and then never seem to have much issue pulling a heavy single.

I'll say I don't know if I'd advise anyone to follow what I do for myself though. A lot of times I just hate how beat up my thumbs feel or feel like a wuss a lot and don't want to deal with it. I also don't really think I can call myself a powerlifter anymore compared to many of the guys on here, but I also clean and snatch nearly every day I train and that is exclusively done with hook grip, so I am pretty much always training it (and probably makes the situation different than someone who has exposure to it much less often).

Good luck with the meet though! I'd agree do what gets you excited and crush it!

As far as the lifting goals/feats being a smaller guy (I feel like I am tiny running around this forum) the OHP was always the toughest to get to bodyweight for me. Deads and squats came pretty quick to hit those kind of numbers, but still chasing that elusive 3x squat (maybe if I ever shift focus and get motivated enough again).

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just wanted to toss in some thoughts from someone who uses hook grip a ton and lots of straps. I bolded what I think is the biggest takeaway for now, I just wouldn't risk any changes right now.

I personally use my straps a ton. I think it is one of those things that kind of depends on your experience level. When I first switched to hook grip I pretty much never used my straps. Even higher rep sets I just sucked it up and used my hook grip. After years of doing that I now don't tend to feel I have issues with my hook grip at all and will pretty much use straps on any sort of accessory work, any sets above 3 reps, and maybe even on extra sets after my top weight of the day (if I am feeling meh). I've found if I do think it is a concern for me I just take a block of training and skip the straps if I am worried and then never seem to have much issue pulling a heavy single.

I'll say I don't know if I'd advise anyone to follow what I do for myself though. A lot of times I just hate how beat up my thumbs feel or feel like a wuss a lot and don't want to deal with it. I also don't really think I can call myself a powerlifter anymore compared to many of the guys on here, but I also clean and snatch nearly every day I train and that is exclusively done with hook grip, so I am pretty much always training it (and probably makes the situation different than someone who has exposure to it much less often).

Good luck with the meet though! I'd agree do what gets you excited and crush it!

As far as the lifting goals/feats being a smaller guy (I feel like I am tiny running around this forum) the OHP was always the toughest to get to bodyweight for me. Deads and squats came pretty quick to hit those kind of numbers, but still chasing that elusive 3x squat (maybe if I ever shift focus and get motivated enough again).
I agree that seems like the best approach. I don't want to make any drastic changes anywhere right now, things are working just fine for the most part, nagging elbows aside. Not the time to try to solve problems that don't necessarily exist.

Thanks for the input and the encouragement!

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Squatted 380 for 5x5 last night. That was a PR as I think the most I've 5x5'd was around 335.

Left adductor is a little sore today but I think it's actually from bending conduit all day yesterday. Finished up the job I was on, helping out on another til the next one kicks off and I'm out of practice! Good to be back on the tools though, my brain needs a break.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Squatted 380 for 5x5 last night. That was a PR as I think the most I've 5x5'd was around 335.

Left adductor is a little sore today but I think it's actually from bending conduit all day yesterday. Finished up the job I was on, helping out on another til the next one kicks off and I'm out of practice! Good to be back on the tools though, my brain needs a break.
Nice work!

Sometimes it’s good to just work with your hands on something.