Foot Weakness Limiting Calf Training?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I've decided to really put the "calves are all genetics" argument to the test and have been making good progress - I've put an inch on them in the last month and a half. They're still nothing to write home about yet, but I'm confident I'm heading in the right direction.

What I've found, however, is that as my calves are getting stronger my feet themselves have become something of a weak point. I'll get into the last few reps of a set and pain in the ball/arch region of my foot gets to be worse than the burn/pump in my calves, particularly in exercises where my knee is in full extension (e.g. standing/leg press calf extension)

Anyone encounter this before? Any tips?

Typical set/rep range:
3 x 30 reps standing calf raise (2 second squeeze at peak, 4 second eccentric, 2 second stretch, 1 second concentric - all sets performed this way)
2 x 25-30 reps seated calf raise
2 x 25-30 reps leg press calf extension; superset with bodyweight standing calf raise
(Using the tempo mentioned above has been making all the difference for me. Hurts like a bitch tho.)

Ironpirate

Ironpirate

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've decided to really put the "calves are all genetics" argument to the test and have been making good progress - I've put an inch on them in the last month and a half. They're still nothing to write home about yet, but I'm confident I'm heading in the right direction.

What I've found, however, is that as my calves are getting stronger my feet themselves have become something of a weak point. I'll get into the last few reps of a set and pain in the ball/arch region of my foot gets to be worse than the burn/pump in my calves, particularly in exercises where my knee is in full extension (e.g. standing/leg press calf extension)

Anyone encounter this before? Any tips?

Typical set/rep range:
3 x 30 reps standing calf raise (2 second squeeze at peak, 4 second eccentric, 2 second stretch, 1 second concentric - all sets performed this way)
2 x 25-30 reps seated calf raise
2 x 25-30 reps leg press calf extension; superset with bodyweight standing calf raise
(Using the tempo mentioned above has been making all the difference for me. Hurts like a bitch tho.)
I buy these balls at target that are for myofascial release specifically for feet. I use them on my glutes as well. I don't know the brand. They are hard foam with yellow and black rings of varying pressure levels. They are the size of tennis balls. They changed my life and they last years.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I buy these balls at target that are for myofascial release specifically for feet. I use them on my glutes as well. I don't know the brand. They are hard foam with yellow and black rings of varying pressure levels. They are the size of tennis balls. They changed my life and they last years.
I'll pick up a pair and experiment a little bit. Thanks for the tip!