Food on the Go

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any suggestions for food that is easy to make at home and easy to take with you? I am trying to get my diet in line and then work on losing about 10 to 15 libs. Currently, I am 5'10" and about 225. I work construction and am trying to find stuff that is easy to make at home and healthy for losing weight. I need to bring about two to three meals with me a day and can keep the food cool once at work. Trying to get away from eating off the roach coach that comes by twice daily. T

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I have stocked up on a sh*t-ton of Muscle Milk n Oats. Not sure you could make that and let it sit - might become a brick.

Could look at baking/grilling some chicken breasts the night before with some sweet potatoes. You could get a Tupperware big enough to put one breast and most of one potato, I think.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
handful of mixed nuts bagged up in plastic bags or 4 ounces of cheese ( 4 string cheeses) make good snacks between main meals

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I take chicken breasts to work with me, sometimes in a sandwich or maybe on its own, potatos too. sometimes pasta but it gets a bit dry!

for snacks i'll take bananas, bag of rasiens. I get free milk at work so i down a few litres of that :D

JonLanni

Awards
grilled chicken . tuna wraps . sandwiches. nuts. lots of water. protein bars.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
To add to some of the items already listed.

Outside of making your food ahead of time and taking it with you, some quick choices could be low sodium canned tuna and chicken.

Low fat beef jerky isn't too bad of a snack. Just watch your sodium intake. Jerky is high.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
I have stocked up on a sh*t-ton of Muscle Milk n Oats. Not sure you could make that and let it sit - might become a brick.

Could look at baking/grilling some chicken breasts the night before with some sweet potatoes. You could get a Tupperware big enough to put one breast and most of one potato, I think.
Are you saying you mix the muscle milk and oats?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying you mix the muscle milk and oats?
It's actually a product made by muscle milk.

It's MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. 1-2 scoops of whey, .5 to 1 cup of rolled/steel cut oats, and 8-16oz. water/milk. Delicious. The only thing missing is a tbsp of evoo if you want some fat in that meal.

ATJ Nutrition Protein Recovery Balls! They're ball-tastic! I think I'll have some right now!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
sometimes ill mix around 2 pounds of beef/chicken into organic, whole wheat macaroni mix. It's the same prep as kraft mac n cheese, just healthier. Theres, im sure, a lot of different companys out there, i like amy's and target brand, i think its archer farms.

the only down side is the sodium, but its almost a whole days nutrient's anyways, so you can just fill in the gaps with shakes/vegetables whatever.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
sometimes ill mix around 2 pounds of beef/chicken into organic, whole wheat macaroni mix. It's the same prep as kraft mac n cheese, just healthier. Theres, im sure, a lot of different companys out there, i like amy's and target brand, i think its archer farms.

the only down side is the sodium, but its almost a whole days nutrient's anyways, so you can just fill in the gaps with shakes/vegetables whatever.
Just to let you know, I took this into consideration and used it. It came out to be about 40/40/20. I'm starting my diet tomorrow so thanks for the help. Any other suggestions, thanks

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's actually a product made by muscle milk.

It's MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. 1-2 scoops of whey, .5 to 1 cup of rolled/steel cut oats, and 8-16oz. water/milk. Delicious. The only thing missing is a tbsp of evoo if you want some fat in that meal.

ATJ Nutrition Protein Recovery Balls! They're ball-tastic! I think I'll have some right now!
I've tried my own - doesn't come out as good as the Muscle Milk n Oats product.

It's only 2 bucks each. Better than most stuff I can make for myself that only takes 2 mins. to make.

The ATJ ones taste fine - but don't measure up in terms of cost per gram of protein. They come out to about $1.50 per 5 balls that has 20 grams of protein. The MM n Oats is $2 for 30 grams. Not to mention the MM n Oats sticks with me longer.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Just to let you know, I took this into consideration and used it. It came out to be about 40/40/20. I'm starting my diet tomorrow so thanks for the help. Any other suggestions, thanks

Glad it worked out for ya. If i think of anything else ill be sure to post it. Im all about an easy meal.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
I've tried my own - doesn't come out as good as the Muscle Milk n Oats product.

It's only 2 bucks each. Better than most stuff I can make for myself that only takes 2 mins. to make.

The ATJ ones taste fine - but don't measure up in terms of cost per gram of protein. They come out to about $1.50 per 5 balls that has 20 grams of protein. The MM n Oats is $2 for 30 grams. Not to mention the MM n Oats sticks with me longer.
thanks for the input......
ps go 'noles

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Plain protein- Chicken breast. Turkey slices. Chicken strips.
Protein with carbs- Chicken breast sandwich. Turkey sandwich. Oatmeal mixed with protein shake.

Those are just a few examples..