Food for Post workout.......

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Now, I take in my whey and usually a few rice cakes post workout...does anyone else do any WHOLE FOOD SNACK SOURCE?? Protein bars, granola bar, white bread , bagel, fruit? Like to have my whey and something fat and solid after training...thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pineapple is great for postWO. I feel much better since I switched to pineapple after workouts. The enzymes in pineapple help to breakdown protein and help the body to assimilate protein mre efficiently.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Whey+banana or carboplex, try to get about a 50carb-20prot ratio, 30-60min later 40-60g whey mrp

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
THANKS FOR the posts....good ideas for some, I typically like to stay away from fruits pw....not sure why, maybe I'll give it a shot......anyone use a protein bar, granola bar, rice cakes??

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
the rice cakes I have now are 18g of carbs each. There are from this organic store, suppose to be cinnamon flavored, but taste very bland. Made from 100% whole organic brown rice. Prob. why they lack in flavor cause you could eat things anytime....prob low gi, compared to the typicall rice cakes: I'm 6'2, 180 and my pw shake looks like

50g of whey
2 rice cakes = 32 g of carbs
1 scoop carb sense cell tech = 12g of carbs.

a muffin sounds good....choc chip mmmm

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
If you're going with bread, go for a whole grain, not white. And make certain there is no HFCS in it. They are using HFCS in almost everything now, even 100% whole grain wheat bread - read the ingredients. Whole wheat bagel would also be a good choice - provides a lot of carbs for its size.

Watermelon or banana would be a good choice for fruit as they are higher on the GI.

Make sure you get the recommended followup meal 60-90 minutes PWO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are considering using a protein bar, or a granola bar, you should just eat a snickers man, it will cost less too. Unless you make the aformentioned items yourself, IMO they are garbage..I like liquid egg whites PWO, they don't taste that gross, slap them in a shake and you can't taste them at all..

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
I think I'll stick with 100% whole grain rice cakes for now.....granola bars are 100x better than most foods....organic, oats, honey, all natural, 7g of sugar. Taste like **** though. lol.....nobody likes protein bars, huh? Even the low carb low sugar ones?

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
last night i ate two chic fil a chicken sandwiches on wheat buns after my workout. good stuff....

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
.granola bars are 100x better than most foods....organic, oats, honey, all natural, 7g of sugar.
What are you talking about? Unless you are specifically buying ALL-as in only natural ingredients, non-proccessed-natural granola bars they aren't 100% organic..It could be just me but I don't utilize any form of bar, unless I make it myself..Most of everything you don't make yourself turns out to have some type of additive or preservative..

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
...granola bars are 100x better than most foods....organic, oats, honey, all natural, 7g of sugar.
I'm uncertain whose product you're talking about, but all of the Nature Valley bars contain HFCS, as I believe is true for the majority of granloa and protein bars. This in no way makes it 100x better than most foods.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
I'm uncertain whose product you're talking about, but all of the Nature Valley bars contain HFCS, as I believe is true for the majority of granloa and protein bars. This in no way makes it 100x better than most foods.
Ingredients:
Organic rolled oats, organic brown rice flour, partially polished organic brown rice syrup, organic invert cane syrup, organic evaporated cane juice, organic pumpkin seeds, organic expeller pressed canola oil and/or organic soybean oil, organic flax seeds, organic acacia gums, organic honey, natural spice and flavors, sea salt, organic molasses, rice extract.

May contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts or soy.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size 1 Bar (40g)
Servings per Container: 5
Calories 170
Calories from Fat 50
Total Fat 5g (6% DV)
Saturated Fat 0.5g (3% DV)
Trans Fat 0g
Omega-3 490 mg
Omega-6 780 mg
Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV)
Sodium 70mg (8% DV)
Total Carbohydrate 29g (10% DV)
Dietary Fiber 3g (11% DV)
Sugars 6g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 0%
Calcium 2%
Vitamin C 0%

Iron 6%

ALso, lean Labrada bars are pretty damn interesting macro wise...yet to taste....worried about fat content of 5g sat.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Pineapple is great for postWO. I feel much better since I switched to pineapple after workouts. The enzymes in pineapple help to breakdown protein and help the body to assimilate protein mre efficiently.
I am a big fan of pineapple post cardio-endurance type training or events. I feel completely replenished after eating a few ounces. I like to eat some with creatine for a nice full saited feeling!

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
not sure....better any organic/health food store as them or the like...

ono

ono

Awards
I think I'll stick with 100% whole grain rice cakes for now.....granola bars are 100x better than most foods....organic, oats, honey, all natural, 7g of sugar. Taste like **** though. lol.....nobody likes protein bars, huh? Even the low carb low sugar ones?
Most of the protein bars on the market have low quality protein in them and/or lack all of the essential amino acids, therefore the protein isn't realy used for muscle repair.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Most of the protein bars on the market have low quality protein in them and/or lack all of the essential amino acids, therefore the protein isn't realy used for muscle repair.
:think:
:blink:

PumpYouUp

PumpYouUp

Awards
  • Established
last night i ate two chic fil a chicken sandwiches on wheat buns after my workout. good stuff....
Yummy Chickfila PWO!! I like there char grilled chicken salad or the chicken salad sandwichs.