Fit and fit help: Buying a suit

FitnessLuke

Awards
Okay so basically I dont have money to get a custom fitted suit, but I need one for job interviews and such. My problem is that I wear a size 42 R- 43R and the pants that come with this size dont match my waist. I have a 31 inch waist.

Would it be tacky to buy like a navy blazer and then wear navy suit pants with it?

emantest

emantest

Awards
Okay so basically I dont have money to get a custom fitted suit, but I need one for job interviews and such. My problem is that I wear a size 42 R- 43R and the pants that come with this size dont match my waist. I have a 31 inch waist. Would it be tacky to buy like a navy blazer and then wear navy suit pants with it?
Mens warehouse and stick with a black suit. If no money go to good will store or some local consignment stores. Usually you can have the pants altered for $10-15 bucks. If you have a Dillard's they usually have great sales on jackets and slacks separate, find your size in each. Find a guy in the store that's pimped out to help you put it together on the cheap. Most people are broke at one time or another. Good luck...

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay so basically I dont have money to get a custom fitted suit, but I need one for job interviews and such. My problem is that I wear a size 42 R- 43R and the pants that come with this size dont match my waist. I have a 31 inch waist.

Would it be tacky to buy like a navy blazer and then wear navy suit pants with it?
Where do u live

FitnessLuke

Awards
Mens warehouse and stick with a black suit. If no money go to good will store or some local consignment stores. Usually you can have the pants altered for $10-15 bucks. If you have a Dillard's they usually have great sales on jackets and slacks separate, find your size in each. Find a guy in the store that's pimped out to help you put it together on the cheap. Most people are broke at one time or another. Good luck...

Is it possible to alter tge waist frm a 35 to a 31?

And is it possible to buy a suit jacket separately?

emantest

emantest

Awards
Is it possible to alter tge waist frm a 35 to a 31? And is it possible to buy a suit jacket separately?
There are plenty of places in Austin, Cedar Park or Round Rock to find nice slacks with a jacket. Find a local alteration shop or go to men's warehouse find a $150 suit then see if those pants can be altered.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find a JosABank or Mens Warehouse and they will help you. This is fairly common as a 43 will normally come with a 36 waist pant and that is ridiculous. I wear a 45R with a 32 waist, and they will alter easily.

Also, if you can only afford one suit, go with charcoal grey or a dark navy. Never, ever black.

emantest

emantest

Awards
If on InstaGram find thedressedchest, one word. Good ideas for style.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Thanks for the ideas everyone. How is jos a banks quality. Last night I was checking their clothes out and they had some really affordable prices with their current sale.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They have quality suits that would work for 95% of the male population. If you want certain designer labels, they won't have a lot of them, but that is not as important as quality material, stitching, and most of all, fit. Look into their Traveler series as they are a wool blend and some are 100% wool and are in a slim cut. Don't be fooled thinking you can't get in a slim cut that is tailored right because you most likely can and it looks 100% better than one that doesn't have the higher arm holes and lapels.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try Macy's too. When I was a manager there I had a similar problem and wearing suits is required for management. The always had a classic fit and slim fit in coats, and all kinds of fits with pants, but all in the same style and fabric. I got some nice suits for cheap that fit well and looked good because they ofer so many mix and match options.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Okay thank you all, but can someone help me out with this question. Is it possible to buy just a jacket and then finding pants that match that jacket?

FitnessLuke

Awards
Yes, they are called suit separates.
Awesome I did exactly what you said

I went to jos a bank online and ordered a signature suit separate

It was signature line and tailored fit, so hopefully a decent quality /fitting suit

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool, you'll be pleased. I've spent $800-1000 on hugo boss, ralph laren, and others and to be honest, unless you fold over stitching or look for other minute details, you can't tell a difference. I've picked up 4 of the traveler suits and they are my go to.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can get a suit at Men's Warehouse for about $ 100 and they will tailor it at no charge. Got one for my daughters wedding a few years ago they did a great job and I still wear it today.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Cool, you'll be pleased. I've spent $800-1000 on hugo boss, ralph laren, and others and to be honest, unless you fold over stitching or look for other minute details, you can't tell a difference. I've picked up 4 of the traveler suits and they are my go to.
That makes me feel so much better about my purchase. I really got a great deal too bc I ordered on blavk friday. I checked out the same jacket and it is already up to 300 dollars and I only paid 160 plus 50 dollars for the pants. I saw a traveler suit reasonablypriced, but wasn't sure of the quality. Now I know for the future!

I was struck between colors. Navy, grey, and charcoal. I went with the charcoal, but now Im thinking I should have gone just regular grey.

FitnessLuke

Awards
You can get a suit at Men's Warehouse for about $ 100 and they will tailor it at no charge. Got one for my daughters wedding a few years ago they did a great job and I still wear it today.
Wow I didnt know mens warehouse was that reasonable! Thats awesome

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Charcoal was the color you want. Generally speaking:

1 suit- charcoal or navy
2 suits- charcoal and navy
3 suits- charcoal, navy, and a lighter color (gray, tan, lighter blue)

then add in a black, pin stripe, checked, or something that you can wear to break it up.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Charcoal was the color you want. Generally speaking:

1 suit- charcoal or navy
2 suits- charcoal and navy
3 suits- charcoal, navy, and a lighter color (gray, tan, lighter blue)

then add in a black, pin stripe, checked, or something that you can wear to break it up.
Thank goodness I got the charcoal! It was a tough call between navy and charcoal. I guess I figured an almost black grey would fill in better for formal situations as well.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now you have to post a pic of you in your new duds !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess I am old, Duds must be outdated !!

FitnessLuke

Awards
Hey so I finally got the suit. The color is nice I am glad I went charcoal. Anyways, even though it was stated tailored fit I still have way too much material in the waist area. I bought a 42 and 43 and will return one, but Im stuck on which one to use. The 43 feels better on my back and shoulders, but too big in the stomach region. The 42 looks more fitted, but is slightly uncomfortable. Anyways how much could I tailor the 43 without it looking weird? My waist is a 30-31 so yeah buying any 43in jacket has to be tailored

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you used to wearing suits? If not, a properly fitted suit may feel uncomfortable, but in reality you may just not be used to a good fit. They can take in the stomach area about 1/2" without needing to alter the shoulder areas.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Are you used to wearing suits? If not, a properly fitted suit may feel uncomfortable, but in reality you may just not be used to a good fit. They can take in the stomach area about 1/2" without needing to alter the shoulder areas.
No this is my first suit. So should there be some constriction in the arm back area?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Go with the 43 and have it tailored

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think about 6 bucks were I live. NY city 75 bucks

FitnessLuke

Awards
I think about 6 bucks were I live. NY city 75 bucks
Wow 6 bucks is so cheap anf thank god im not in New York. Well I'll probably have it tailored in Houston, so Id expect the price to be a lot cheaper than New York. Mens warehouse or jos a bank have good tailors? Or should I just get it tailored at the dry cleaners

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
either one, sometimes if you are around you can find a little old lady that will do it for next to nothing. I am only 5'5" and I have to buy extra large polo shirts, the only problem the sleeves are make for someone with much larger arms, on me they hang past my elbows. I found a 70 year old women who loves to sew. She shortens the sleeves for me for 3 buck a shirt!

FitnessLuke

Awards
either one, sometimes if you are around you can find a little old lady that will do it for next to nothing. I am only 5'5" and I have to buy extra large polo shirts, the only problem the sleeves are make for someone with much larger arms, on me they hang past my elbows. I found a 70 year old women who loves to sew. She shortens the sleeves for me for 3 buck a shirt!
Wow thats a steal!

Is taking in the waist pretty easy. I just dont want to mess up ny first nice suit.

Also thinking about getting a vest for it.. I cant find a matching charcaol herringbone vest, so is there any colors that would blend well.

I know some say the vest has to match, but cant that rule be broken and with what color?