Fish oil

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Most fish oils cause stomach issues such as constant burping. I take with food etc. can you give me some brands that worked for you and the best way to take so they digest well? Prefer small pills

thanks

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
For what it's worth just buy the ones from local supermarket however I found when taken after toast I don't get so much reflux compared to when taken with porridge.

nickodemus

nickodemus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I find if I eat half my meal, then take it, and finish my meal I won't get the burps as often.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For what it's worth just buy the ones from local supermarket however I found when taken after toast I don't get so much reflux compared to when taken with porridge.
This is bad advice

Not all fishoil are created equal . I would suggest reading the label and focusing on proper EPA and DHA content as 2-3g daily have shown great benefits to heart health and joint health

Most supermarket brands are very low dosed just like if you went to Walmart to buy pre workouts , protein etc you may not get the best bang for your buck when it comes to quality

Martin has a great article here

ON fishoil
PES Fishoil
CL oximega are the ones I would suggest

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is bad advice

Not all fishoil are created equal . I would suggest reading the label and focusing on proper EPA and DHA content as 2-3g daily have shown great benefits to heart health and joint health

Most supermarket brands are very low dosed just like if you went to Walmart to buy pre workouts , protein etc you may not get the best bang for your buck when it comes to quality

Martin has a great article here

ON fishoil
PES Fishoil
CL oximega are the ones I would suggest

Well I guess I must just be very very lucky then as by using my local supermarket brand at 3000 g a day It helped reduce my Total Cholesterol from 5.2 to 4.3 with my Hdl at 1.97 but hey am sure like everything else theres pro's and cons with different brands. Good luck OP with with your search.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ok further investigation shows ON Fish Oil to have a total EPA/DHA of 300mg per 1000g capsule. Other ingredients are: Gelatin, glycerin, ethylcellulose, sodium alginate, vanillin, purified stearic acid, ammonium hydroxide, medium chain triglycerides, oleic acid, purified water.

My so called inferior cheap supermarket version by Vitarenew? has total EPA/DHA of 260mg per 1000g capsule.

Other ingredients are: Oil, Gelatin, Glycerol, Mixed Tocopherols ( Antioxidants).

So for a loss of 40mg I'm paying double figures less and with what looks a better ingredient profile.

Supermarket here I come. 😎

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The best is Sports Research triple strength omega 3 fish oil. Great profile. Only need two a day maybe one.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like others have already mentioned you can't go wrong with CL oximega. I've used multiple bottles of it and it works for me.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok further investigation shows ON Fish Oil to have a total EPA/DHA of 300mg per 1000g capsule. Other ingredients are: Gelatin, glycerin, ethylcellulose, sodium alginate, vanillin, purified stearic acid, ammonium hydroxide, medium chain triglycerides, oleic acid, purified water.

My so called inferior cheap supermarket version by Vitarenew? has total EPA/DHA of 260mg per 1000g capsule.

Other ingredients are: Oil, Gelatin, Glycerol, Mixed Tocopherols ( Antioxidants).

So for a loss of 40mg I'm paying double figures less and with what looks a better ingredient profile.

I got bottles of ON (200 Caps) for $6 and Oximega for $8 (600mg EPA/DHA Capsule which is 2x your supermarket brand)
To each their own on what ya wanna grab. Just stating you can get some respectable brands and products for a good price and EPA/DHA Per cap is the most important factor in a fishoil. Many supermarket brands are very low causing someone to take 10-15 pills to reach an adequate amount.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

Supermarket bad, ON good.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Supermarket bad, ON good.
Ha ha......I like ON products especially the Orange Triad but my poor supermarket fish oil buddies are doing the trick this far for a bargin price. Each to the their own in say.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I got bottles of ON (200 Caps) for $6 and Oximega for $8 (600mg EPA/DHA Capsule which is 2x your supermarket brand)
To each their own on what ya wanna grab. Just stating you can get some respectable brands and products for a good price and EPA/DHA Per cap is the most important factor in a fishoil. Many supermarket brands are very low causing someone to take 10-15 pills to reach an adequate amount.
That's odd as the ON Fish Oil I looked at is 600mg PER SERVING (2 Capsules). Do they do 2 different Fish Oils? Maybe they do which I gather is even MORE expensive.

Attachments

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ha ha......I like ON products especially the Orange Triad but my poor supermarket fish oil buddies are doing the trick this far for a bargin price. Each to the their own in say.
Orange Triad is made by Controlled Labs, not ON..
ON Makes OPTIMEN for their multi

My post above you quoted I put CL Oximega in () stating their EPA/DHA at 600mg, which you totally missed.
None the less you are free to use your money as you wish. Where that supermarket may source their omega's from we have no idea. If you want to go that route, you are free to do so. I personally would not, just like I would not buy my multi's from walmart or a grocery store.

Jessterlx

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I had trouble with "fish burps" too, until I started using the 'Enteric Coated' capsules. Enteric coating allows for the capsule to pass through the stomach without opening until it reaches the small intestine. I have no more fish burps now.;)

Meatsnack_Yeti

Meatsnack_Yeti

Awards
I buy triple strength fish oil so It reduces the number of fish oils I have to consume.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The best is Sports Research triple strength omega 3 fish oil. Great profile. Only need two a day maybe one.
Good find on this - not too bad. I use Bronson Triple Strength which has a very similar profile and I take 3 servings a day. It isn't the cheapest, but for the volume it is reasonable and high EPA/DHA. Every once in a while, I will randomly bite a cap and see if it is rancid and I have never had any taste at all really from these. These things spend so much time on a shelf and in a truck before they get to me, I'm sure it's a waste, but I do keep them in my fridge once I open them.

Oximega and ON are known to be good quality. Given the deals you can get on Oximega I would consider it, but you still need to take more pills/day than with the Bronson. But for all I know, Bronson's quality sucks and/or they don't meet their label claims. I just haven't seen any reason to believe that and unfortunately I can't test their label claims.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Good find on this - not too bad. I use Bronson Triple Strength which has a very similar profile and I take 3 servings a day. It isn't the cheapest, but for the volume it is reasonable and high EPA/DHA. Every once in a while, I will randomly bite a cap and see if it is rancid and I have never had any taste at all really from these. These things spend so much time on a shelf and in a truck before they get to me, I'm sure it's a waste, but I do keep them in my fridge once I open them.

Oximega and ON are known to be good quality. Given the deals you can get on Oximega I would consider it, but you still need to take more pills/day than with the Bronson. But for all I know, Bronson's quality sucks and/or they don't meet their label claims. I just haven't seen any reason to believe that and unfortunately I can't test their label claims.
4 oximega caps is not bad at all. (2 Caps/Serving)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Use your existing fish oil, but keep it the refrigerator. This will cause it to take longer to dissolve and reduce burps. This is much less expensive than buying enteric coated, and should yield the same result. If not, you've wasted nothing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
4 oximega caps is not bad at all. (2 Caps/Serving)
No, not bad at all, I can't say there is anything wrong with it. But I tend to mega dose things, and the Bronson at 6 caps a day gives me 1,464 mg of DHA and 3,750 mg of EPA. To get that with Oximega, I would have to take about 8-9 capsules of the Oximega. Really, it isn't that much difference. 2 pills 3X per day vs. 3 pills 3x per day, etc. It's a good product.

However, at $6/bottle, a month at those doses would cost $25 which is about the same as the Bronson - so they are very, very close if you get the OM on sale. Off sale, the Bronson is just cheaper. I don't intend to knock OM at all...would use it without hesitation. Just saying the Bronson is another option.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Big fan of the liquids as you get much more bang for the buck and full dosages vs numerous pills. Nordic Naturals is tough to beat in that department. Also just eat some sardines or herring.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Big fan of the liquids as you get much more bang for the buck and full dosages vs numerous pills. Nordic Naturals is tough to beat in that department. Also just eat some sardines or herring.
Believe it or not, Vitacost has an orange flavored liquid fish oil that, when added to vanilla protein powder, is really good - it tastes like the orange/vanilla 50/50 ice cream bars.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19