Fish oil vs. Krill Oil. And which fish oil?

clint3612

Awards
I used to take Flameout and it has pretty good profile but it has CLA in it and the jury is out if that’s ok for insulin sensitivity. Any other high quality fish oil have the amount of DHA as Flameout? Or is it better to make the switch to krill oil?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The little bit i know says to take both, not one or the other. Krill oil has a powerful antioxidant in it, which is what ita good for. You take fish oil for the total amount of epa/dha. And the amount you need to shoot for would be incredibly inefficient done with krill oil.

Nutrex

Nutrex

Awards
I’m a big fan of fish oil as long as I can hit my 2-3g a day.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The little bit i know says to take both, not one or the other. Krill oil has a powerful antioxidant in it, which is what ita good for. You take fish oil for the total amount of epa/dha. And the amount you need to shoot for would be incredibly inefficient done with krill oil.
This is my opinion as well.

It isn't fancy but Now has DHA-500 which is 500 mg of dha and 250 epa per pill. They also have Super Omega which inverts those numbers wit 500 mg EPA and 250 mg dha per pill. I would swap back and forth between them a lot, but lately I have been using Bronson's triple strength fish oil.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just remember, when getting a fish oil, you want a fresh one. One that has the bottle that is nitrogen flushed, and if they added an anti oxidant, even better. Fish oils can get rancid pretty quick, and pretty bad otherwise.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is my opinion as well.

It isn't fancy but Now has DHA-500 which is 500 mg of dha and 250 epa per pill. They also have Super Omega which inverts those numbers wit 500 mg EPA and 250 mg dha per pill. I would swap back and forth between them a lot, but lately I have been using Bronson's triple strength fish oil.
These guys have you covered. Probably some cheaper options if you want high DHA (like the NOW suggestion). I wouldn’t aim for those component via krill it would be too tough (or expensive).

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
tried krill oil at 3g a day and nothing, supposedly builds muscle, and expensive

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just remember, when getting a fish oil, you want a fresh one. One that has the bottle that is nitrogen flushed, and if they added an anti oxidant, even better. Fish oils can get rancid pretty quick, and pretty bad otherwise.
when I open a bottle of fish oil or krill I use a needle to poke a hole in one and taste, you will know right away if rancid--I always store opened bottle in fridge.

also, I find a combination of fish and krill oil works best for me...I've been using both for many years and my latest bloods showed very good cholesterol levels, is it because of the oils-maybe?