Fish Consumption And Diabetes Risk

biohacked

biohacked

Awards
There’s little question that fish contain environmental pollutants such as mercury and PCBs with, generally, bigger fish such as shark and tuna containing more and smaller fish like sardines containing less. That’s been common knowledge between health researchers for a while now. The real question is whether that translates into any of the major degenerative diseases in people (such as cancer or diabetes).

Well, sadly, in the case of diabetes it does appear to be the case.

Here’s a great video by Dr. Michael Greger summarizing the science between diabetes risk and fish consumption:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=I60O474F_GI

As he mentioned in the video, besides the pollutants, the causal link could also very well be the oxidative stress causing n-3 fatty acid content of the fish. That obviously goes against the mainstream opinion on diet but one can certainly find smart people that would support that notion and as far as I’ve seen the research on fish oil seems to be quite mixed.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
LMAO, I guess, at the same time though, there are worse things one could do.
Haha, yeah true. I just love the way he has to think about it. It went viral in the uk years ago and recently came back around as the fella is actually pretty big and jacked now lol

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Haha, yeah true. I just love the way he has to think about it. It went viral in the uk years ago and recently came back around as the fella is actually pretty big and jacked now lol
I know! He pauses to think about it so many times! “Hmm, I think I have more fish and rice cakes today??”

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There’s little question that fish contain environmental pollutants such as mercury and PCBs with, generally, bigger fish such as shark and tuna containing more and smaller fish like sardines containing less. That’s been common knowledge between health researchers for a while now. The real question is whether that translates into any of the major degenerative diseases in people (such as cancer or diabetes).

Well, sadly, in the case of diabetes it does appear to be the case.

Here’s a great video by Dr. Michael Greger summarizing the science between diabetes risk and fish consumption:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=I60O474F_GI

As he mentioned in the video, besides the pollutants, the causal link could also very well be the oxidative stress causing n-3 fatty acid content of the fish. That obviously goes against the mainstream opinion on diet but one can certainly find smart people that would support that notion and as far as I’ve seen the research on fish oil seems to be quite mixed.
That Dr is a vegan and everything he puts out tries to demonize everything that is not vegan

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Good point. Always take the views of extremists with a pinch of salt..and some tuna

maggie.stine

maggie.stine

Awards
I don't honestly like fish, end of the story. LOL

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I think people should be aware of the amount of fish they are consuming, but in moderation I can't see it being a bigger problem than any other extreme with nutrition habits. There are plenty of healthy people out there who consume fish in moderation (1-2 times per week) and do not end up with diabetes or other health complications.

This Dr. Michael Greger also preaches that eating meat is bad, which I disagree with as well.

biohacked

biohacked

Awards
Well, sure, anyone can come up with anecdotal examples saying 'I know people who eat fish and are healthy' but science and numbers clearly doesn't support that. Why is this thread 'retarded'? What exactly is the doctor citing the studies in the video wrong about? Sure, there are worse things one could eat, I already stated that, just making sure people are aware that there might be downsides to high amounts of fish consumption and this thread is about people taking the risks into account when deciding what or how much fish to eat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well, sure, anyone can come up with anecdotal examples saying 'I know people who eat fish and are healthy' but science and numbers clearly doesn't support that. Why is this thread 'retarded'? What exactly is the doctor citing the studies in the video wrong about? Sure, there are worse things one could eat, I already stated that, just making sure people are aware that there might be downsides to high amounts of fish consumption and this thread is about people taking the risks into account when deciding what or how much fish to eat.
Plenty of cultures eat a lot of fish with no health problems and as far as studies go, for every study that says something is good you can find one that says the opposite and vise versa. The thread is pretty pointless as are many.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I guess I can't say pointless, it's just general conversation.

I'll see myself out now

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There are tons of Asians, Cajuns, and Creole's. That would disagree with this study. Just saying.

biohacked

biohacked

Awards
There are tons of Asians, Cajuns, and Creole's. That would disagree with this study. Just saying.
Well just because they'd disagree doesn't mean that they are right. And the video reviewed 13 studies not just 'a study'. Also just saying 'all research is bs and you can prove anything' is just an excuse for someone that just doesn't want to spend the time to understand the nuances of studies and what the weight of evidence points to. Sure, you might find 'a study' that shows no correlation but you have to look at all the evidence in context and then one might actually learn something and make better decisions.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well just because they'd disagree doesn't mean that they are right. And the video reviewed 13 studies not just 'a study'. Also just saying 'all research is bs and you can prove anything' is just an excuse for someone that just doesn't want to spend the time to understand the nuances of studies and what the weight of evidence points to. Sure, you might find 'a study' that shows no correlation but you have to look at all the evidence in context and then one might actually learn something and make better decisions.
Well you show me studies, where Asians, Cajuns, and Creoles have a higher rate of diabetes. Go ahead, cause I'm Cajun and fish and seafood is a key staple in my diet, and has been my whole life. If you can show me that then I will believe the leaf and grass eating doctor. But as for now. I'm gonna go back to eating my diabetic tuna poboy. Lol

biohacked

biohacked

Awards
Well you show me studies, where Asians, Cajuns, and Creoles have a higher rate of diabetes. Go ahead, cause I'm Cajun and fish and seafood is a key staple in my diet, and has been my whole life. If you can show me that then I will believe the leaf and grass eating doctor. But as for now. I'm gonna go back to eating my diabetic tuna poboy. Lol
Well, Western diets like S.A.D. will obviously have higher rates of diabetes compared to Asian populations as Asian populations eat less processed/junk food and have a more plant based diet with more vegetables, fruit and grains comparatively (all of which lower diabetes risk). Those would be the confounding factors in that equation but to understand whether fish is a risk factor for diabetes in Asians you would have to look at a segment of an Asian population that eats fish versus one that doesn't, a study like that would eliminate the majority of confounding factors. Well, as it happens, there has been study done comparing just that:
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?****10.1371/journal.pone.0088547 - they compared Taiwanese buddhist vegetarians (no fish consumption) to buddhist omnivores. There was almost a 2x diabetes increase in the omnivore group for men and an almost 4x diabetes increase for menopausal women compared to the vegetarian group. A pretty telling study but obviously the big confounding factor there is the meat consumption which could be the main cause of the diabetes rather than fish. If eating fish works for you and your blood tests are good, I'm obviously not the one to preach that you should give up fish, though me, personally, I'd rather not eat any meat at all and stick to consuming fish very rarely (about once a month). And no, not eating animals doesn't compromise your performance in the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Can't post the link to the study as I don't have enough posts yet, just google 'Taiwanese Vegetarians and Omnivores: Dietary Composition, Prevalence of Diabetes and IFG' and you should find it as the first result.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Any reasoning behind that?
Lol, yeah was really just going for the comical play on words rather than any scientific insight bro.

I have a stressful job, kids etc, it’s late in the uk. Can we just let me chuckle at my own humour?

biohacked

biohacked

Awards
Lol, yeah was really just going for the comical play on words rather than any scientific insight bro.

I have a stressful job, kids etc, it’s late in the uk. Can we just let me chuckle at my own humour?
lol, gotcha.