Finally Going to make Arms a priority

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey everyone. Just felt like posting this up and seeing what people have to say. So I never really Made Arms an important part of my workout. I usually have only added in a couple of sets at the end of other body parts. And only have an ARM (when other body parts are shot, and wanna workout at my house).
So I want to start hitting arms at least twice a week,This way I can do my fullbody workouts at the gym 3-4 times a week and do my arm days at my house, on "off" days. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks fellow AM'ers

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I can help you out, but it would help if I had an idea of what your current routine looks like throughout the week, then we can try to discern an optimal placement for an arm routine.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK, thanks buddy. Right now Im training for the warrior dash in August, so..My routines have been alot different than Ive ever done. Im trying to cut down a bunch of weight. I do a full body workout 3-4 times a week. I dont have set days, I have a physical job, so I just get in when I can. I usually do supersets or compounds sets with 30 seconds rest between sets. 3 sets of everything and do pretty much Chest, back , shoulders. In which I change what I do first each workout. Then I follow with legs then bi's/tris. superset.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
a superset arm workout:
Grab a set of a DB and stand next to a machine curl bar and a pull up bar

1) Curl the DB 4-6 reps (heavy)
2) Immediately grab the machine curl (10-15 reps)
3) Jump up on the pull up bar, palms facing you, and pull with all your might.

This will blast your arms and will be good for endurance--which is what I think you are looking for.

Tip:
1) Start with great form and keep it as long as you can, as you become fatigued sacrifice form a little. But, don't hurt yourself.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ill surely have to give this a try, and yes Im working on endurance. After doing some research on the Warrior dash seems like its going to take anywhere between an hour to 2 hours to complete. Yowzers

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Ill surely have to give this a try, and yes Im working on endurance. After doing some research on the Warrior dash seems like its going to take anywhere between an hour to 2 hours to complete. Yowzers
Yeah I figured, you would want endurance. They do the warrior dash where I live (ohio).
Keep your rest low, the DB is for strength. The machine will work on ur endurance, and the triple set with pullups will work you to your limits... I hope
Keep your rest low!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Have u seen arm growth from what u were doing b4?

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Arm endurance training?? WTH!! Thats a new one on me...

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Arm endurance training?? WTH!! Thats a new one on me...
LOL..Not specifically arms. Im training for more endurance and supersets and Giant sets was what I was looking for.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone. Just felt like posting this up and seeing what people have to say. So I never really Made Arms an important part of my workout. I usually have only added in a couple of sets at the end of other body parts. And only have an ARM (when other body parts are shot, and wanna workout at my house).
So I want to start hitting arms at least twice a week,This way I can do my fullbody workouts at the gym 3-4 times a week and do my arm days at my house, on "off" days. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks fellow AM'ers
Like any other movement, I wouldn't go overboard with them. To this day people tell me my chest is enormous and I've only done flat presses, incline presses and weighted dips for them. The reason that I have development though is because I focused on developing those exercises as much as possible, not because of how many exercises I do for them. Without progress muscles only homeostasis.

I do two-three exercises for triceps (weighted dips, close grip bench presses, and occasionally overhead tricep extensions) and the only exercise I do directly for biceps would be barbell or dumbell curls.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Like any other movement, I wouldn't go overboard with them. To this day people tell me my chest is enormous and I've only done flat presses, incline presses and weighted dips for them. The reason that I have development though is because I focused on developing those exercises as much as possible, not because of how many exercises I do for them. Without progress muscles only homeostasis.

I do two-three exercises for triceps (weighted dips, close grip bench presses, and occasionally overhead tricep extensions) and the only exercise I do directly for biceps would be barbell or dumbell curls.
for what I boulder how do u make sure u stress the muscle?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established

you follow my train of thought. few things for tris and next to nothing for bis

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
you follow my train of thought. few things for tris and next to nothing for bis
I concur that for maintaining bicep size the stim from some bicep training and the pulling from back excercises might be enough. (might see some growth pinning 500mg of sust. Ha!) But to go from 16 to 18 inch + arms for ex. that won't suffice. Arm size is usually closely correlated to body weight, one doesn't always mean the other. The potential for size is there. Yes train the triceps hard and heavy, they are 75% of the arm. But to grow boulder style biceps they need to be directly trained as well. Especially guys who have longer bicep heads, ie ectomorphs. Imho...

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
for what I boulder how do u make sure u stress the muscle?
The muscle is stressed when it performs its prime function.

The reason for the biceps existence is elbow flexion; to bring the ulna and radius closer to the humerus (forearms closer to the upper arm). Anytime the elbow flexes the biceps are stressed. They are the reason for that particular motion.

Rows, curls, chins, face pulls, pullups all stimulate the bicep sufficiently. The only difference between a curl and a row is the row works the upper back muscles in conjunction to the biceps. The curl completely isolates the biceps and the row teaches your biceps and back how to properly coordinate.

You can try increasing TUT for slower reps, but I don't imagine it'd do you much good. As another poster as suggested, weight gain and arm circumference is related, as with any muscular development in hypertrophy. The rule of thumb is that you gain 1 inch to your arms every 15 pounds you gain; this is a basic guideline, but not always accurate.

Keep progressing in weight, rows, pulls, and curls and your bicep development will come. Just remember the triceps are responsible in assistance with pressing movements (press, bench press) and developing them helps add to those pec muscles everyone wants to work. Your triceps also make up 2/3rd of your upper arm.

People that stimulate the biceps and not the triceps often develop imbalance around the elbow. The imbalance usually causes your arms to remain in an almost flexed position and makes it harder to extend. You'll see people walking around with an internally rotated humerus, shoulder protraction and their forearms are not nearly as vertical with their upper arms and you can tell their training is imbalanced.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I never really cared about bis and tris. Just lifted HEAVY compound movements mostly. Was just curious to see what happens If I ACTUALLY cared about them

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I never really cared about bis and tris. Just lifted HEAVY compound movements mostly. Was just curious to see what happens If I ACTUALLY cared about them
I could tell from your opening post it appeared you had your stuff together. Most people flaw at training arms directly, but as long as it's done with appropriate volume and frequency I don't see much of a problem with it.

During the early stages of training it's not necessary, but after you develop your exercises the carryover training elbow flexion and extension has will only be positive.

It's safe to assume once someone develops their compound movements, they know not to do bicep curls in the mirror everyday. Curls might be a big part of the bro science, but it's often a tool for a large upper back as well. :)

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I say blast bis and tris together atleast once a week. Some of u might be right with ur educational studies on not needing to isolate. But for me seeing is believing, I've put 3-4 inches on my arms since I've been pairing bis and tris about 4 years ago, without any enhancement from drugs BTW.

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
I say blast bis and tris together atleast once a week. Some of u might be right with ur educational studies on not needing to isolate. But for me seeing is believing, I've put 3-4 inches on my arms since I've been pairing bis and tris about 4 years ago, without any enhancement from drugs BTW.
I subscribe to your school of thought. Biceps are muscles like the rest. I hit em heavy and force them to adapt. In return they grow, BB101. And no I don't believe in training them in front of a mirror day after day but they do get a designated training session weekly..