FINALLY found another shoulder exercise that doesnt bother me!!!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Always had issues with my shoudlers getting agitated (mainly the right one)

i found that shoulder presses with dumbells didnt bother me at all... so i pretty much was stuch with those for a while

then today i just tried something different for the hell of it, i always liked lateral raises but i couldnt ever get a good workout out of em because i couldnt go real heavy (it would bother my shoulder a lot)

so today i went to near failure but not quite and changed up stuff (dont laugh at the low weights)

i did 20lbs for 10 then 15lbs for 12 then 10lbs for 15...
with 2min rests... afterwards my shoulder felt great and i couldnt lift my arm :D
never had a blast in my arm like that before... WOOHOO!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend who's jack as can be, who only trains shoulders with light weight side laterals. not to say this is really the ideal way to train all three heads of the deltoids but with the help of freakish genetics and heavy work on presses for the chest, this guy has boulders for shoulders. Bean, i actually prefer lighter weights on my lateral movements as well, mainly for the same reason as yours.
Sage

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I must say I prefer doing lateral raises with low weights too.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I don't go very high on weight for lateral raises either, heavy weight tends to cause some minor pain in my rotators.

ManBeast

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
also using heavier weights on lateral movements has a greater tendacy for people to cheat. cheating is ok at times, but only on occassion.
Sage

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
when i sit i dont have a problem with cheating :)

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but you can't go very high with weight, I would go very high weight reps and low weight for medial head.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use light weights for lat raises and especially for cuban presses. Seems humiliating to use such low weights but these muscles aren't that large. Don't get hung up on the numbers.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
also using heavier weights on lateral movements has a greater tendacy for people to cheat. cheating is ok at times, but only on occassion.
Sage
You mean that when they bend over a bit at the beginning, then do that explosive pelvic thrust to get momentum, that's cheating? :confused:

:p

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
damn made a definite strength increase in 5 days... one of those gains where you could feel the power upgrade :)

Aitaronz

Awards
I had done DB side laterals for a while, and although it was OK, I wouldn't get excited about them...

However, recently I tried doing side raises with the cable cross-over machine (just put the pulleys on the lowest setting) and WOW! I've never felt such a good delt workout.

The tension was constant... The range of motion felt natural... I'm definitely a convert, now!