fiber vs carbs question

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I recently picked up a bottle of fiber from my grocery store. As far as I know, you simply subtract the dietary fiber from your carbs to get the net amount. My fiber supplement contains 4g total carbs, but only contains 3 grams of dietary fiber, and 3 grams soluble.

So,
4g carbs -
3g dietary fiber = 1 net carb? I'm actually adding a carb to my diet
every time I take this then? Or does soluble fiber count in regard to
weight loss as well?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I think, and repeat think that soluble fiber is just fiber and does not impact blood sugars. but I don't understand your label, 3 + 3 = 6 total carbs. unless it it refers to 3 grams of fiber, 3 of is soluble fiber. in that case you are add a carb.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
My Nutrition label:
Calories 15
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Dietary fiber 3g
Soluble Fiber 3g
Sugars 0g

It's my understanding that fiber, while technically a carbohydrate, isn't considered as suc on a nutritional label. That would make sense here as 3 + 3 = 6 but total carbs are listed as 4g. But if only dietary fiber can be subtracted from your carb count,
it would then be:
4g total carbs.
-
3g dietary fiber
= 1g net carbs

So if one were taking this brand just to stay regular, fine, but to
help you stay lean, it seems to be adding more than it takes away, unless soluble fiber helps in this as well.
This is my understanding so far and want to see if I'm correct, that I wasted money by choosing this particular fiber supp.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
my sugar free equate fiber therapy reads:

total carbs 5
dietary fiber 3
soluble fiber 2
sugars 0

it does list maltodextirn but its list after the yellow 6 so I am assuming that its incedental. I "believe" that soluble fiber gets counted the same as dietary as far as carbs. Just because it desloves in water does not make it digestable. but the math on yours doesn't add up, I can only assume that there is a carb there.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
Google search turns up this guys:

Both soluble and insoluble fiber are undigested. They are therefore not absorbed into the bloodstream. Instead of being used for energy, fiber is excreted from our bodies. Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through our intestines largely intact.
source:
http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

Check the link...good info on it.
My assumption from the label is you got 1g net carb. The brand I use had 5g total carbs, 5g Fiber(soluble). 0 net. Its fiber sure, blue bottle. I put it in my water bottle, and have noticed an odd aftertaste later in the day. may be from it gelling up like that site said. dunno.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Google search turns up this guys:

Both soluble and insoluble fiber are undigested. They are therefore not absorbed into the bloodstream. Instead of being used for energy, fiber is excreted from our bodies. Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through our intestines largely intact.
source:
http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

Check the link...good info on it.
thanks for the link man, everything I found only went into detail on the insoluble. Good to know the souble is also helping my cholesterol, makes me worry less about being on cycle, lol....