feedback on pre-workout stack

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi folks,

I've assembled the following pre-workout stack, which I'm taking 60min before weight lifting:

• cordyceps
  • citrulline
  • agmatine
  • beta-alanine
A few questions:

• is there anything missing? Maybe dynamine or Alpha GPC (for its supposed HGH-boosting effects)? Consider that I'm taking the stack at around 5:30pm, so I don't want to impair sleep

• are rhodiola, ginseng or ashwaganda (KSM-66) better options than cordyceps as pre-workout? I’d like to try also the combo tongkat ali + boron

• is it necessary to take also taurine, to balance beta-alanine?
Thanks!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm a fan of noxygen which has betaine nitrate. You could see if you could find that in bulk somewhere and add that into the mix. Other than that I think you have the staples. You could throw in some creatine (5g) to either preworkout or post workout shake.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you already have these ingredients? Also, what are your goals and style of training, length of training, etc?

For cordyceps make sure they are of solid quality if you are going to take them and if for performance probably look for militaris. A good blend in PeakO2, MST Cordygen options, or Nootropic Depot are some good places to look.

Citrulline and Agmatine should be a good combo.

Beta Alanine isn't necessary solely pre and is probably better split over the day anyways. Taurine would be better for pre-training benefits in particular than Beta Alanine if looking between the two.

Alpha-GPC I wouldn't necessarily take for the GH benefits (acute training changes in hormones probably aren't drastically important) but can be a good starting point for mental boost minus Caffeine. Tyrosine + ALCAR + Choline (or something pre-formulated like SNS Caffeine Free Focus XT) can be a good non-stimulant boost.

As far as the other Adaptogens it will depend on particular benefits you are looking for to determine which is best. Rhodiola and Cordyceps probably are best in the pre-training sense, but options like Ginseng and KSM-66/Sensoril can be very beneficial in other aspects too, just depends on what you want or what is limiting your progress.

That covered a lot of ground so give it a read and maybe answer the initial questions and a specified stack can be determined from that.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i mean technically when you ask "is something missing" .. answer will always be yes lol

but that would give you good endurance/pump imo .. taurine/bcaa are always nice to have in pre

As resolve stated - cognitive/focus could play a major role in pre workouts as well .. if you havent found your flavoring .. throwing those pre workout ingridents in a focusXT blend is a great option .. i do that from time to time when i need to create my own pre

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Do you already have these ingredients? Also, what are your goals and style of training, length of training, etc?

For cordyceps make sure they are of solid quality if you are going to take them and if for performance probably look for militaris. A good blend in PeakO2, MST Cordygen options, or Nootropic Depot are some good places to look.

Citrulline and Agmatine should be a good combo.

Beta Alanine isn't necessary solely pre and is probably better split over the day anyways. Taurine would be better for pre-training benefits in particular than Beta Alanine if looking between the two.

Alpha-GPC I wouldn't necessarily take for the GH benefits (acute training changes in hormones probably aren't drastically important) but can be a good starting point for mental boost minus Caffeine. Tyrosine + ALCAR + Choline (or something pre-formulated like SNS Caffeine Free Focus XT) can be a good non-stimulant boost.

As far as the other Adaptogens it will depend on particular benefits you are looking for to determine which is best. Rhodiola and Cordyceps probably are best in the pre-training sense, but options like Ginseng and KSM-66/Sensoril can be very beneficial in other aspects too, just depends on what you want or what is limiting your progress.

That covered a lot of ground so give it a read and maybe answer the initial questions and a specified stack can be determined from that.
Hi man,

Thanks for your help!

I’m weight lifting three times a week, I’d like to put some mass (I’m 1.81 for 72kg) so I’m usually doing 3/4 sets for 8-10 reps, is it okay?
I’m doing a dumbbell based routine focused on upper body. On days I’m not lifting usually I run; I was thinking that it was enough for legs... but I know that this is probably a mistake so I’ve decided to add a legs day, therefore doing 2 upper body + 1 lower body workout a week.

For Cordyceps (and usually other stuff) I’m using Nootropics Depot. For the things ND is not selling I use mainly Now Foods.
Sometimes Life Extension, Jarrow, Nature’s Way (for some herbs).

If you could suggest a stack for me it would be awesome!
Thank you

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tyrosine + ALCAR + Choline (or something pre-formulated like SNS Caffeine Free Focus XT) can be a good non-stimulant boost.
Agreed. And to this I would add Green Tea Extract, Alpha Lipoic Acid, 600mg KSM-66 and 200mg caffeine

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There are tons of stim-free, pump based, pre’s already on the market, that come out cheaper especially if you grab a sale...

I keep coming back to pes high-volume and will add some mio caffeine drops to it, if needed.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There are tons of stim-free, pump based, pre’s already on the market, that come out cheaper especially if you grab a sale...
I keep coming back to pes high-volume and will add some mio caffeine drops to it, if needed.
Agreed on this. hard to go wrong with high volume!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi man,

Thanks for your help!

I’m weight lifting three times a week, I’d like to put some mass (I’m 1.81 for 72kg) so I’m usually doing 3/4 sets for 8-10 reps, is it okay?
I’m doing a dumbbell based routine focused on upper body. On days I’m not lifting usually I run; I was thinking that it was enough for legs... but I know that this is probably a mistake so I’ve decided to add a legs day, therefore doing 2 upper body + 1 lower body workout a week.

For Cordyceps (and usually other stuff) I’m using Nootropics Depot. For the things ND is not selling I use mainly Now Foods.

Thank you
I tagged this when I’m back at a computer I’ll try to reply. Typing from my phone isn’t fun for long posts. 👍

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi man,

Thanks for your help!

Thank you
Ok so I am going based on the assumption the first four were things in possession and I'll leave a couple suggestions on top of that. Initial caveat is I am not a fan of adding too much at once as it makes it hard to see what works. So with my suggestions go one at a time if possible.

Cordyceps I'd go 500mg-1g
Citrulline 3-9g
Agmatine 1-2g (this doesn't have to be pre, I like it upon waking or with a higher carb meal most of the time)
Beta Alanine 4-6g (this I would split into 2-3 doses, one can be pre if you want)

Next it really depends on what you want to "boost". As far as performance the combo of the above 4 should get you some pretty good pumps, endurance, and recovery.

If you want something for more mental stimulation:
1-2g of Tyrosine
250-500mg of Citicoline or 300-600mg Alpha-GPC
Maybe:
1-2g ALCAR

Want more performance boost, improvements to mood, and recovery:
250-500mg Rhodiola (3% Rosavins, 1-2% Salidrosides, keeping in mind higher Salidrosides tend to be more "stimulating" for some, but I never have issues with it personally affecting sleep)
or
300-600mg KSM-66 (if going pre, I prefer this form if dosing pre-training) or 250-500mg Sensoril (some find Sensoril more calming, YMMV, so I don't generally use pre)

I don't want to go with too many options (it can feel overwhelming), but I'd say pick one from above or below options based on what you want OR you could just stick with the first four you already have and maybe do the Boron (I'd dose 10mg of active Boron if looking for hormonal benefits) and Tongkat Ali if looking for a test boost (alternatively you could look into CEL M-test as it would have Boron, Tongkat, and KSM all covered + more).

So in the end I'd just say you could leave it with top 4, if you add something ask yourself which benefit do I want most (acute mental boost look in the first suggestion list, performance in the second, test boost in the last), keeping in mind some do provide multiple benefits.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Ok so I am going based on the assumption the first four were things in possession and I'll leave a couple suggestions on top of that. Initial caveat is I am not a fan of adding too much at once as it makes it hard to see what works. So with my suggestions go one at a time if possible.

Cordyceps I'd go 500mg-1g
Citrulline 3-9g
Agmatine 1-2g (this doesn't have to be pre, I like it upon waking or with a higher carb meal most of the time)
Beta Alanine 4-6g (this I would split into 2-3 doses, one can be pre if you want)

Next it really depends on what you want to "boost". As far as performance the combo of the above 4 should get you some pretty good pumps, endurance, and recovery.

If you want something for more mental stimulation:
1-2g of Tyrosine
250-500mg of Citicoline or 300-600mg Alpha-GPC
Maybe:
1-2g ALCAR

Want more performance boost, improvements to mood, and recovery:
250-500mg Rhodiola (3% Rosavins, 1-2% Salidrosides, keeping in mind higher Salidrosides tend to be more "stimulating" for some, but I never have issues with it personally affecting sleep)
or
300-600mg KSM-66 (if going pre, I prefer this form if dosing pre-training) or 250-500mg Sensoril (some find Sensoril more calming, YMMV, so I don't generally use pre)

I don't want to go with too many options (it can feel overwhelming), but I'd say pick one from above or below options based on what you want OR you could just stick with the first four you already have and maybe do the Boron (I'd dose 10mg of active Boron if looking for hormonal benefits) and Tongkat Ali if looking for a test boost (alternatively you could look into CEL M-test as it would have Boron, Tongkat, and KSM all covered + more).

So in the end I'd just say you could leave it with top 4, if you add something ask yourself which benefit do I want most (acute mental boost look in the first suggestion list, performance in the second, test boost in the last), keeping in mind some do provide multiple benefits.
Thanks man for your time - very interesting and clear reply!

Alright, so to simplify I could start with the top 4 (i.e. cordyceps, citrulline, agmatine and beta-alanine) and maybe add some taurine, to balance beta-alanine; sounds good? Is it better to take taurine in a different time of the day of BA? Which dosage?
I'll see how it goes and add the other stuff you advised one-by-one, in order to monitor the results.

That being said, I took bloodworks recently and they showed low vit D and low luteinizing LH hormone. Therefore MD advised me to supplement vit D + K and tribulus (since it should boost LH). Do you see any potential bad interaction with the supplements we talked about?

For your reference, this is my current daily non-preworkout stack: lysine, magnesium, polygala, theanine (with coffee), MSM, EGCG and curcumin (the last two for lowering inflammation due to autoimmune disease).
In the future, I'd like to try also gotu kola/centella asiatica because I'm having some dry skin and scalp issues.

Thanks A LOT for your help!

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks man for your time - very interesting and clear reply!

Alright, so to simplify I could start with the top 4 (i.e. cordyceps, citrulline, agmatine and beta-alanine) and maybe add some taurine, to balance beta-alanine; sounds good? Is it better to take taurine in a different time of the day of BA? Which dosage?
I'll see how it goes and add the other stuff you advised one-by-one, in order to monitor the results.

That being said, I took bloodworks recently and they showed low vit D and low luteinizing LH hormone. Therefore MD advised me to supplement vit D + K and tribulus (since it should boost LH). Do you see any potential bad interaction with the supplements we talked about?

For your reference, this is my current daily non-preworkout stack: lysine, magnesium, polygala, theanine (with coffee), MSM, EGCG and curcumin (the last two for lowering inflammation due to autoimmune disease).
In the future, I'd like to try also gotu kola/centella asiatica because I'm having some dry skin and scalp issues.

Thanks A LOT for your help!
BA is all about saturation, so it doesn’t matter timing. Take taurine preworkout. I usually throw 2g in my pwo.