Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
FDA on the verge of mandating the disclosure of "added" sugars

Food industry waging a bitter battle over proposal on added-sugar labels - LA Times

Of all the issues the Obama administration is grappling with, a modest redesign of what food labels say about sweeteners might not have seemed among the more controversial. But ever since First Lady Michelle Obama unveiled the plan last year, a lobbying frenzy has ensued.

The objections have come not only from candy makers and bottlers of soft drinks.

The governor of Massachusetts implored the administration to rethink its proposal. The governor of Wisconsin protested too. So did the government of Australia, which warned the move could violate international trade agreements.

The proposal being considered by the Food and Drug Administration would add a new line to labels on packaged products noting how many teaspoons of sugar had been added.

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
While I think it's a great idea, I agree the Obama admin has bigger and more important things to deal with than sugar on labels. However, I think if people had any idea how many tsp of sugar are in their food, they might reconsider eating it