Fat fear

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
After successfully cutting how do you guys transition back to a bulk. I really don’t want to lose my ****ing abs. Seriously I like having them. Every time I start to gain a little weight back I subconsciously dial back my calories and boom I’m back at square one again. I don’t like how I look while bulking. I don’t even feel like I look like I lift when I’m bulking. I just become a cloud of fat walking around. Ok I mean that’s an exaggeration. Maybe just attempt some lean gains with natty supplements and if I don’t like the way it’s going start a cycle? I’m 32 years old. I have narrow deeply embedded uneven abs. Requires me to go do damn lean to make these suckers pop. Worked too hard for it so yea now I’m stuck unfortunately. Anyone else have these mental struggles or am I developing a mental disorder?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
After successfully cutting how do you guys transition back to a bulk. I really don’t want to lose my ****ing abs. Seriously I like having them. Every time I start to gain a little weight back I subconsciously dial back my calories and boom I’m back at square one again. I don’t like how I look while bulking. I don’t even feel like I look like I lift when I’m bulking. I just become a cloud of fat walking around. Ok I mean that’s an exaggeration. Maybe just attempt some lean gains with natty supplements and if I don’t like the way it’s going start a cycle? I’m 32 years old. I have narrow deeply embedded uneven abs. Requires me to go do damn lean to make these suckers pop. Worked too hard for it so yea now I’m stuck unfortunately. Anyone else have these mental struggles or am I developing a mental disorder?
If your low enough to see deep cuts in your abs, you should still be able to see them slightly after a short 12-16 week lean bulk. They definitely shouldn't completely disappear, and then you could cut again and get them right back.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
See a psychologist

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It isn’t always about dialing back calories. Your entire diet needs to be in check (macros). When I recomp or do a very strict lean bulk, I basically eat the same foods as I would with a cut just more of them. Low carbs, very timely meals, lean meats, heavier cardio and my John meadows modified routines I do.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Transitioning from a cut to a bulk can mess with your head. I experience similar thoughts when transitioning and it's hard to allow your hard work to disappear as you attempt to gain muscle.

If you've dieted and you are fairly lean (8-10% bf), you should be able to slowly increase calories without detrimental effect to your appearance. Don't go off the deep end and start eating a 1000kcal surplus, but starting to slowly increase calories (200-300 per day) should allow you to begin to put on weight slowly while keeping your abs and physique.

Accept the loss in definition as a short term season that will allow you to grow and be bigger and better for the next time you cut.

Ivery

Ivery

Awards
I do this myself. Just came off a bull. And didn't like the water weight. Abs didn't disappear, but definately looked less. Except first thing in the mourning. But now, 2 weeks and no test. I can see a big difference.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do this myself. Just came off a bull. And didn't like the water weight. Abs didn't disappear, but definately looked less. Except first thing in the mourning. But now, 2 weeks and no test. I can see a big difference.
You gained water weight from riding a bull? Lol. Jk

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
In my opinion you've already lost the game if you are worried about losing your abs during a bulk brother. Do you cut easily? If so eat and grow. Worry about seeing your abs when you start cutting again. Do you want to get super fat? **** no, but last thing you should be concerned about is how your abs look during a bulk or how much people can see them. I know its a mental mind **** since you are coming from such a lean state but its part of the process. Eat clean and please to god do me a favor and eat some calorie dense foods too. I guarantee you that in the end you will be much happier even though you probably will feel like a fat ass from time to time even though you are not. You are not less of an athlete cause you want to throw those types of foods in. In this sport thats what needs to be done for many people during a bulk. Now cutting on the other hand is when you should eat super clean and not eat junk food unless of course its a refeed/cheat meal.

Are you an ectomorph, endomorph or meso? Do you want to make progress or always want to be super lean all year round? The only way you will put on mass is putting on some fat, its how it works! Plus get ready cause you will retain water in certain areas that you are just going to have to put up with because that is all based on your genetics. Odds are you are not going to like seeing certain things in front of the mirror when you get out of the shower in the morning, but if you stick with it when you cut again you will REALLY start liking what you see! Especially the finished product!

During this bulk if you eat enough and make that your number one priority, well You are going to get stronger! That is going to lead to you being able to lift more weight, with more reps! And you know what happens when you do that? You make GAINS!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The easy answer is: Don't bulk, reverse diet slowly and keep a very moderate caloric surplus. as weight comes on it should be very slow but will prevent excess fat gain. It is possible to slowly add size without going full fatass. It just takes time and patience.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep reverse dieting is the way but you do need to accept you’ll lose a little bit of definition. A cycle might not change that by the way, I gain crazy amounts of water on trest or test it seems (like 15lbs weight in 10 days) and abs disappear.

It is hard mentally but you’ve got to be clear about your goal and make your lifestyle fit that goal.

Ivery

Ivery

Awards
Haha, phone types what it wants . Bulk is what I meant. Shouald proof read more. Lol

Neecey2809

Neecey2809

Awards
Tbh mate I learned to embrace the bulk and fat gain you know your goals so go out and own them don't let other people's thoughts get you down they should care about Thier own **** ;) good luck and enjoy it :)

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Tbh mate I learned to embrace the bulk and fat gain you know your goals so go out and own them don't let other people's thoughts get you down they should care about Thier own **** ;) good luck and enjoy it :)
That is why some nutrition coaches do not believe in the reverse diet. You gotta be ok with gaining fat during a bulk especially if you are natty if you want to build muscle. Reverse dieting can cause people to never stick with a bulk and never add a good amount of muscle. I don't mind cardio I actually love it so take my opinion for what it is. Some guys hate it and some don't cut easily either.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has their opinion on the matter. Some top nutrition coaches say reverse dieting is not the best way to go when you start bulking. Check it out here.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrul81qco8
That's a bit of a strawman though, in my opinion
The people that invented the reverse diet say that you should increase calories to maintenance and then reverse diet. Literally no coach says you should be adding 10g of fats and carbs each week from your competition, ha ha

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hear you. As a former fat kid, getting too fluffy is always in my head. You can lean bulk and just eat at a smaller surplus. You will put some fat on, but not nearly as much as you normally would.

I would also be weary of what carbs can do to your body. I thrive on higher carbs, performance wise, but keep in mind, if you do eat a higher percentage of carbs, your body is going to hold onto more water and glycogen, which may make you appear to be fatter, but you are not.

One way you can transition into bulking is by reverse dieting. Here is a good article on that.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-bulk-and-keep-your-abs

You need to figure out if you are happy with your current mass level, if not, then accept you will need to put on some fat in order to get there. But think about it this way too, you now know what you need to do to get that lean. So after you bulk, it shouldn't be nearly as hard to achieve that level of leaness again!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think macros are highly overrated. The only thing you really shouldn't do is to mix a ton of fat with a ton of carbs. Get your energy source from carbs or fat whatever works best and have a high protein intake.