Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I keep hearing that Clapton is greatest guitarist of all time, I think he is way overrated-I don't even have him in top 10.

when I was growing up I thought Layla was badass, then I found out it wasn't even Clapton on the intro but duane Allman.

Hendrix is my #1

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I keep hearing that Clapton is greatest guitarist of all time, I think he is way overrated-I don't even have him in top 10.

when I was growing up I thought Layla was badass, then I found out it wasn't even Clapton on the intro but duane Allman.

Hendrix is my #1
Followed closely by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Meatsnack_Yeti

Meatsnack_Yeti

Awards
Orianthi is bomb for a female guitarist.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Enjoy the Concert

I can't find the video of him playing Rude Mood and the sound check before hand, they all start in too fast.
I thought it was El Mocambo' but maybe not.

He never played the same song exactly the same twice.
Much like Hendrix, he played from his soul. You can't compare them. Both #1. in so many ways.
I lean towards SRV.

The virtuosity sings from their strings.

Unplugged Rude Moood

Pipeline with his Brother Jimmie

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dave Mustaine is the best guitarist of all time. I just don't really like megadeth, though lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chet Atkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Roy Clark...it all depends on what kind of guitarist you're looking for as the "greatest." Check out Billy Strings for a newer player who is insanely talented.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Roy could pic!!!!
Glenn Campbell.

Some great studio work you’d never know was him.

The doctors say his playing had helped to slow his Alzheimer’s disease. His brain activity improved. Watch his life story and special. He was very special.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone is going to have a different list of top 10.

Surprised no one has mentioned Santana or Slash. Also huge fan of David Gilmour. I wouldn’t put them as the best, but both would make my top 10. I’m not honestly sure I could pick a single “greatest” guitarist.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Surprised no one has mentioned Santana or Slash. Also huge fan of David Gilmour. I wouldn’t put them as the best, but both would make my top 10. I’m not honestly sure I could pick a single “greatest” guitarist.
big fan of all 3...I would also include Ritchie Blackmore and eddie van halen.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Roy could pic!!!!
Glenn Campbell.

Some great studio work you’d never know was him.

The doctors say his playing had helped to slow his Alzheimer’s disease. His brain activity improved. Watch his life story and special. He was very special.
good choice, I grew up listening to glen...he was a member of the wrecking crew, they were a group of studio musicians who played on many different top selling albums of 60's 70's.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

speaking of david Gilmour on dark side of the moon there is a song called great gig in the sky. they auditioned female singers for the song, when they found the right one they told her to think of a horror movie and being scared to death...this blew me away, I always thought the singer sounded like she was having a orgasm, lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Apparently, somebody asked Clapton what it was like being the best guitarist in the world. He replied “I dont know, youd have to ask Prince.”
prince's super bowl halftime show was the best I have ever seen...big fan of when doves cry!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

aah, love me some santana-check out the Woodstock live version of soul survivor.
slash's solo on november rain is one of my favorites-love the song, hate the video, lol.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Hendrix is my #1
awe HELL naw! Eddie Van Halen!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
tony iommi
steve vai
randy rhoads
ted nugent
leslie west
keith richards

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much impossible for me to pick a top 10. They’re all so different in their own way. Tony’s rhythms and leads are pretty basic chords and scales, but my god the heavy tones he gets. Influenced many guitarists who followed. Gilmour was not a fast player by any means but he could make that guitar sing out like a human voice. Vai is a very technical player. So many great guitarist for different reasons.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Pretty much impossible for me to pick a top 10. They’re all so different in their own way. Tony’s rhythms and leads are pretty basic chords and scales, but my god the heavy tones he gets. Influenced many guitarists who followed. Gilmour was not a fast player by any means but he could make that guitar sing out like a human voice. Vai is a very technical player. So many great guitarist for different reasons.
nice, I grew up listening to sabbath and Floyd....got to mention jimmy page also-zeppelin were gods in my youth.

the chords to smoke on the water were so simple but yet melodic, 1st time I heard machine head I was a purple fan for life--Ritchie Blackmore.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
joe walsh

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
**** all these guys.. dimebag Darrell hands down! Not just his solos and but his riffs and tone were like a fucking chainsaw.. heavy ass crunchy raw Randall amp power!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This was pretty cool

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
**** all these guys.. dimebag Darrell hands down! Not just his solos and but his riffs and tone were like a fucking chainsaw.. heavy ass crunchy raw Randall amp power!
added!!!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chris Duarte is pretty good
"C Butt Rock"

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You got me thinking Roy Clark
Made it look easy.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Gona leave one of my favorite versions of "Hey Joe" from Popa Chubby

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Gona leave one of my favorite versions of "Hey Joe" from Popa Chubby

I have probably listed to 100 different versions of Hey Joe.

Try the guitar on these two:

Ben Poole kills it.

Taylor Scott is incredible.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
nice, I grew up listening to sabbath and Floyd....got to mention jimmy page also-zeppelin were gods in my youth.

the chords to smoke on the water were so simple but yet melodic, 1st time I heard machine head I was a purple fan for life--Ritchie Blackmore.
Funny thing with Page, he was/is a sloppy player but that’s what made him so good and gave him his style. I was fortunate enough to see him play live and did not disappoint.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Funny thing with Page, he was/is a sloppy player but that’s what made him so good and gave him his style. I was fortunate enough to see him play live and did not disappoint.
was page with zeppelin when you saw him?

I saw led zep back in 77 at the old market square arena in Indianapolis...page and plant were great but was 'dazed' by Bonham, dude was a beast...Bonham and john paul jones were best rhythm section I ever seen, followed by sabbath.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have probably listed to 100 different versions of Hey Joe.

Try the guitar on these two:

Ben Poole kills it.

Taylor Scott is incredible.
favorite Hendrix song is watchtower, something about the grove and lyrics of that song really puts me in a nice feel good mood.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
was page with zeppelin when you saw him?

I saw led zep back in 77 at the old market square arena in Indianapolis...page and plant were great but was 'dazed' by Bonham, dude was a beast...Bonham and john paul jones were best rhythm section I ever seen, followed by sabbath.
No, 5/6/95. It was in St louis. Plant and page did a tour and played all Zep songs. Still one of the best showed I’ve seen.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No, 5/6/95. It was in St louis. Plant and page did a tour and played all Zep songs. Still one of the best showed I’ve seen.
greatness leaves a lasting impression!!!

I saw a great many of the legends in my youth---my biggest regret was not having the chance to see the stones live...I saw the moon over Havana concert on tv and was really impressed by how good they are live.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, saw a lot of great shows since late 70s early 80s. Another favorite show was Pink Floyd minus roger waters. Still was awesome. Original Sabbath, original Metallica, Crue. List goes on. Music just isn’t the same anymore in my opinion.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, saw a lot of great shows since late 70s early 80s. Another favorite show was Pink Floyd minus roger waters. Still was awesome. Original Sabbath, original Metallica, Crue. List goes on. Music just isn’t the same anymore in my opinion.
my favorite is ac/dc as opening act for alice cooper Halloween night in 81 at old jack murphy stadium in san diego.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
ac/dc as an opening act is funny. Both Metallica and Crue were opening acts when I saw them. Good old days.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
just got thru watching/listening to david gilmour live at pompei 2016, the man is a genius on guitar---i see colors listening to his solo on comfortably numb.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ted nugent---stranglehold....nuff said!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
alex lifeson's guitar work on working man off rush's 1st album is incredible...on of the most underrated riffs in rock music, imo.

they call me the working man, i guess thats what i am, hell yeah!!!!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Zakk Wylde has been my favorite for well over 20 years! From his days with Ozzy, to his solo work. His live shows are incredible.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
just broke out foghat live and got my fix of 'i just want to make love to you'....good lord that songs rocks.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
foghat live followed by 23 minute live version of outlaws-green grass and high tides!!!!

life is good!!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
while not known as a guitar band, today i really enjoyed rare earth...the long version of [i know] i'm losing you is remarkable for 1970 technology....heres a little known fact-rare earth was the only 'white' band signed by motown...most of their songs are motown covers.

get ready and i just want to celebrate are great old classics i still enjoy hearing.