Equipment for Small Dorm

iceman321

Awards
I'm in grad school in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest gym is 20 mins away. I managed to go 3x a week, but now it's just not feasible. 20 mins to go, workout, 20 mins to come back, shower, eat, etc. Do you guys have any ideas for home equipment? My dorm is really cramped, and I bought a pull-up bar, which unfortunately didn't fit my door frame.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Beyond a chinup bar, pushups and finding a way to do wall squats and dips, burpees and the like, im really not sure what to suggest. Your campus doesnt have a gym for students?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Golds Gym weight set from WalMart is cheap and easy to find. If ordered shipping isnt a killer. A few sets of Bands from Elite FTS wouldnt be too bad as I love my Monster and Mini bands. Kettle bell or 2, a Commercial Sandbag or make your own. A set of perfect pushups never hurt anyone. All of these things can easily be stored in your closet or under the bed.

Hard to imagine you dont have access to the on campus gym. Weighing the cost of this equipment and how long you will have it VS just paying for the campus gym def should be considered. Even the athletes have a strength training facility so maybe asking the strength coach if you may go there when no one is there could be nice. If there is an Athletic Training room they may have there own gym but should be plenty to get you through grad school. Just working of assumptions but hopefully these are options.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Barbell and plates and do olympic lifts/accessories (cleans, various presses, various pulls, front/hack squats, etc.) That's all old school bodybuilders had to work with prior to someone inventing the bench and uprights.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Look into prison style workouts, tons of bodyweight work will make u grow, check out Josh Bryant from Jail House Strong

Slapoyjoe

Barbell and plates and do olympic lifts/accessories (cleans, various presses, various pulls, front/hack squats, etc.) That's all old school bodybuilders had to work with prior to someone inventing the bench and uprights.
He lives in a dorm. This won't fit.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He lives in a dorm. This won't fit.
Then get rid of the non essentials. Desk? Go to the library; Bed? get a fold up cot.
He has to have his priorities in order man! :D

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Dumbbell clean and press,
Chin up,
Db bench,
Walking lunges,
Db curls,
Bumbbell triceps extensions.
Some abdominal stuff. There's a full body you can do with adjustable dumbbells or a few sets of dumbells

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I was in your position I would buy: a jumprope for when it's too cold for outdoor cardio or when you want to mix it up, a good set of resistance bands, 2 lighter dumbbells, 2 medium weight dumbbells and 2 heavier weight dumbbells. All of that shouldn't break the bank too bad and should all fit nicely in the closet or under the bed. Bonus tip: use your chair to do dips and challenge your roommates to dip contests.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also check out old videos of the jack lalanne show, he had a lot of great body weight exercises.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll throw my two cents in here - Bowflex selecttech dumbbells.(~$300). And a Troy VTX bench adjustable (~$350). Then a good set of resistance bands. Black mountain products on Amazon (~$40).

Though I am out of University I have two kids in a 2bed/2.5bath Cali townhouse - means I don't have much space either...

If I can't make it to the gym those Bowflex selecttech are a godsend. I like the adjustable 11-position circular arc on the Troy bench and padding is good - not a throw away bench. With selectable dumbbells it's fast enough to get work done and not crowd your place, do replace a whole set of weights. And the handles are nice you can use them as kettlebell.

Links - Troy VTX bench, has resistance band hooks, wheels and stores upright https://buckeyefitness.com/troy-vtx-flat-incline-decline-adjustable-bench/

Black Mountain Products - Ultimate Resistance Band Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGAID78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GKkjCbGK73P7Z

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARYU58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jNkjCb12BZ5B6

There are some flat folding benches, but I don't like the pads adjustment as much for ~$200, but if you are space constrained... Could work.

iceman321

Awards
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. My grad school just opened up last year, and no it doesn't have a weight room. The school has been promising to make one in the near future, but from what I've heard it'll be in 4-5 yrs.

My room is also tiny. Very tiny. I can't fit a bench or anything like that. I was hoping for foldable equipment or something.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. My grad school just opened up last year, and no it doesn't have a weight room. The school has been promising to make one in the near future, but from what I've heard it'll be in 4-5 yrs.

My room is also tiny. Very tiny. I can't fit a bench or anything like that. I was hoping for foldable equipment or something.
Here's the bench I used in college, folds under bed. BFFID10 (by Best Fitness, has excellent reviews, only $140).

Best Fitness BFFID10 Folding Bench https://g.co/kgs/EM4sRs

And still recommend resistance bands (they make sets that attach to your door) and Bowflex selecttech dumbbells can fit in the corner or under bed too...

Can't really make it any smaller than this combo. And lowers the total $ for ya.

Otherwise, if you are in a shoebox dorm like a freshman, just do push-ups and bodyweight stuff.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Powerblocks dumbbells.

Weighted Vest (100 lbs) - good for bodyweight exercises.

Door pull up bar.